Will Sprint not get the Moto X 2014?

Erik Johnson3

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
According to Android Police and Droid Life 2014 Moto x will not be coming to Sprint. I was going to buy one outright as I am in the middle of a contract and I cracked my screen. Looks like Im buying a 2013 version

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: No Moto X for Sprint

That review don't mean anything compared to official words by Motorola: https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/512272654032965633

Edit: It seems this is due to the failed T-Mobile buyout Sprint was going for. If you look in that AnandTech chart, the "Sprint version" support all the AWS 3G and LTE frequencies that T-Mobile required.

Eh. So does the Nexus 5. Sprint could choose to allow the Pure version to be activated on their network like they did with the Nexus 5. Let's hope they choose to.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Eh. So does the Nexus 5. Sprint could choose to allow the Pure version to be activated on their network like they did with the Nexus 5. Let's hope they choose to.
Another theory is hardware incompatibility, if you read the Anandtech, it said:
What might be notable is the lack of carrier aggregation on the new Moto X
Sprint Spark required triband capable phones. So maybe that's another reason.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

Another theory is hardware incompatibility, if you read the Anandtech, it said:

Sprint Spark required triband capable phones. So maybe that's another reason.
No current sprint phone has carrier aggregation. And that variant of the Moto X is triband capable. These are two different things.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
One of my friends family members who works at Motorola asked about this and was told that Sprint was not interested in the new Moto X. Obviously, even when you work at a company information can be incorrect (perhaps an executive shifted blame to Sprint when it was actually Motorola), but this at least gives us a direction to push on if we really wanted to change this.

So I propose that we start a campaign towards Sprint to change their mind. What do you guys think?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Love the Moto X, but disappointed in Motorola.

Let me start if by apologizing if my venting offends anyone. But that's all I'm doing. Flame away if you want. My 1st Gen X is the best phone I have ever owned, but I have serious doubts about where Motorola is heading.

My disappointment with Motorola stems from two things that happened this week. First, it was announced that Sprint will not carry the new Moto X. I am on sprint and yes I am mad. My wife's side of the contract doesn't run out for 18 months so it looks like if I want a new X it will have to be a third gen if sprint carries it or when we are free to switch carriers. I know 1st world problems etc, but hear me out. I hear some cackling about going to t mobile to get our contracts bought out. The problem with that is to qualify you have to buy new phones FROM tmobile--and they won't be carrying the new X! Buying a Moto maker pure version won't qualify--it doesn't come from t-mobile. So this is my first point--the new X won't be sold in 2 of the 4 major US carrier's stores. That's a problem, and I'll come back to this in a bit.

Yesterday while it friend and I where out for lunch we decided to stop somewhere to check out the iphone 6. (not impressed by the way, the 6 has a decidedly bigger form factor than my 1st Gen for the same screen size but I digress.) an at&t store was most convenient and we ran in for a look. I was hoping to see at least a poster (if not a display) for the new X. And what do I see? Zip, zilch, nada. Not even an example of a 1st Gen was to be had. In fact one would have no idea Motorola still sold phones by looking in that store. LG, HTC, Samsung all had displays. Heck the stupid Fire phone had a big display! Not one thing from Moto.

Do you know what yesterday was? Without question the busiest day of the year for carrier stores. I'm not going estimate how many people went into a carrier store yesterday but it had to be a LOT. And what's more a lot of those people are in the market for a new phone. Yes, a majority were probably going to get the iPhone regardless. But there was some portion who walked in curious about the 6 but undecided. Some of those probably compared to other phones in the store. A very small portion maybe bought something other than the 6. Importantly, for a large portion of those people the idea of a non-iphone was planted. If the took the time to compare, no doubt many were impressed by what LG or HTC had to offer. None, at least at the store I was at or at any sprint or t-mobile was impressed by what Motorola had to offer. Hard to impress someone with no presence at all.

So why does this matter? My contention is that the vast majority of the smartphone buying public don't visit boards like ours or read online reviews. When they want a new phone they either go with what they know (apple or samsung) or they go to a carrier store or best buy and they talk to dales people and try out new phones. Thus if you are going capture a significant market share in the US, you have to have a a presence in most if not all carrier stores. Motorola isn't doing that and
that does not bode well.

Motomaker is a great idea, it really is. But it's not a replacement for competent marketing. At best, right now the Moto X is a niche phone, like nexus. Niche phones aren't going to ever truly compete with Samsung and Apple. Google can afford to tread water or even lose money with the nexus line. As part of Lenovo, the Moto X cannot be a money loser. It will not survive. And if the Moto X goes, I believe that Motorola, as we know and love it, will go too. Overseas Motorola seems to be doing well and might be safe. But if Motorola cannot produce a profitable US flagship, you can expect Lenovo to pull Motorola out of the US market, and I wouldn't blame them.

If the 2nd Gen were available on sprint, I would be on Motomaker now. But if Motorola were still publicly traded I would be telling everyone I know to sell the stock. And that saddens me. I love what Motorola is producing but I think Motorola is marching into irrelevance.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Love the Moto X, but disappointed in Motorola.

I was at a Verizon store yesterday and Motorola products were front and center. Bigger than the iphone 6 display. Nothing about the new X, but a white X, black X, all types of droids. Sprint is dying a slow death anyhow and probably hates the Verizon Moto Droid exclusives.

Lenovo purchase can only help Moto. Lenovo is innovative and has strong marketing. I think moto is going to be just fine.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

There are displays nowhere as far as I know. Its not on sale anywhere (online preorders only). Sprint made a bad decision, I wouldn't lay that one at moto's feet... and you're describing T-Mobile making the same expected mistake two years in a row. Again, Motorola has no control over carriers deciding not to carry their products... they even said they'd preferred to be in as many channels as possible. I have seen three separate television ads for this preordeable device which is better than what we started with last year by far. I don't want to trivialize your frustrations at all - I just think you're pointing them at the wrong companies. I wouldn't be surprised to see sprint reverse course.... Given the fact that moto made a version specifically for them. If they do not, I couldn't blame moto for never wasting another penny on that sinking disaster ship. That's millions in expenses and opportunity cost that they're stealing (my opinion) from moto.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

You could buy an iPhone from t mobile to qualify for the etf reimbursement, not open it, and sell it on Swappa for basically what you paid for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs