Does the lack of LTE Bands on the Moto X Pure Edition bother you?

kylecpcs

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I can say that I had this problem as well. Voice but no data. Added the custom APN, and that got me 4G, but no LTE. Apparently, ATT does not recognize this phone's IMEI as a LTE capable phone. Had to give them the IMEI off my HTC One M7, code it as LTE, reboot my phone twice, and then it came up as 4GLTE. Just FYI.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That's a B17 market. You should have no issues with any of the unlocked Moto X versions, or older AT&T phones that are 4/17 only.

It varies by county, but in Wayne County, AT&T has B17 only, with what appears to be two 5x5 blocks that are contiguous, so they must be running a 10x10. Must be lower B and C blocks. In Washtenaw, they have the same situation. I know from personal experience that AT&T's LTE in Wayne and Washtenaw counties can be extremely fast, often clocking in well north of 30mbps, occasionally over 50.

You're not going to be happy not having LTE when you could have had LTE... The phone may act a little bit bizarre too if they put up a B2 5x5 and you're constantly bouncing from LTE to HSPA+ and back again.

That is assuming this will happen. When I get the phone I have some time to return it. But I'm going in with a fair thought.

wariola

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
If I were to buy Moto X 2014 pure edition to use in my country, which is Malaysia which one should I get?

Posted via Android Central App

juan de la cruz1

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Same issue with me. Want to buy one for use in the Philippines unfortunately our LTE bands are only B1 and B3. I think the verizon is the better version since it supports more bands and is unlocked. Im not sure I might wait they might come up with a new pure version.

grayzweb

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. I had them switch my IMEI & still no LTE. I traveled today to Akron, Oh downtown & all around. No LTE.

The thread this links to says at won't support the pure edition as an LTE device.

My question now is do I keep it & live with HSPA+ in my area or return it & get ATT version?
Really don't want a logo & bloat, but want the best coverage I can get.

Posted via the Android Central App

diablo9

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I had them switch my IMEI & still no LTE. I traveled today to Akron, Oh downtown & all around. No LTE.

The thread this links to says at won't support the pure edition as an LTE device.

My question now is do I keep it & live with HSPA+ in my area or return it & get ATT version?
Really don't want a logo & bloat, but want the best coverage I can get.

Posted via the Android Central App

Im thinking canceling my order and go with the Z3

grayzweb

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Check out this (currently short) discussion on G+: https://plus.google.com/111799507032343481045/posts/HeuuRKxTviZ. People are using IMEI from other phones. Like you suggested, AT&T probably isn't recognizing the new Moto X as LTE capable.

I Finally got mine resolved! :) I now have LTE !

I went back down to AT&T store, got a knowledgeable rep this time. He changed my IMEI to my old phone and it worked. I tried this once on online chat with AT&T, but thinking they didn't change it correctly.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I went back down to AT&T store, got a knowledgeable rep this time. He changed my IMEI to my old phone and it worked. I tried this once on online chat with AT&T, but thinking they didn't change it correctly.

Nice!

This is an issue that happens with AT&T every time a popular new unlocked phone comes out. It was a problem with the original Galaxy Note, the Google Play Edition S4 and now the new unlocked Moto X. The issue is that AT&T's database of IMEI numbers is not updated to include the new devices right when they are released. In order to provision your device for the correct network access, AT&T needs the IMEI number of a device that has those capabilities (LTE in this case). It does not matter if that is the IMEI of the phone you are using, as the IMEI is just used for provisioning purposes. Once the SIM is provisioned correctly using the IMEI of a phone with LTE, then you can use the SIM in the Moto X with no problems. (For the original Galaxy Note, AT&T kept claiming the device was a tablet (due to an error in its IMEI database) and removing people's service and data plans.)

In my case, my most recent phone was a GPE Galaxy S4. That phone used a micro SIM. I needed a new nano SIM for the Moto X. I called into customer service last week and they sent me a new SIM. When the Moto X arrived, I put the nano SIM in and called 611 to have the SIM activated. I gave the rep the IMEI of the GPE S4, and after rebooting the Moto X, I got the 4G LTE indicator and LTE speeds, and it's been working fine since last night.

It can be kind of a crapshoot with the AT&T reps. Just keep calling in until you get a knowledgeable rep. Eventually AT&T will get its IMEI database updated with the IMEI range for the unlocked Moto X and it should just work. AT&T's own website even indicates that as long as an unlocked device supports the correct bands, you will get 4G LTE service.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

There is a post somewhere that states the method of using your old imei will work, but if you change cell towers it could shut your phone off from service. The reason is that at&t randomly confirms the imei number on the phone to the one on record at given times when you pass through cell towers. However, you may be okay, but there is a chance that your service could be stopped all of a sudden. As to why the pure edition isn't showing LTE right off the bat, it is because at&t doesn't support the pure edition moto x for LTE. Even though, the pure edition is more than capable of using LTE with it's bands except for band 5, which is used in rural areas in at&t network. My advice is for you to return the phone for an at&t phone, or wait to see if at&t will later support the phone for their LTE network. The pure edition for some reason seem more crippled for an unlocked T-Mobile and AT&T phone than it should be.

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Att really needs to change their back end systems to not be so strict on unknown imei blocks. Prior to LTE they used to have the same problem with HSPA. You did not get HSPA speeds if they thought your phone could not support it. I have never had this issue with T-Mobile.

BiggAW

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
That is assuming this will happen. When I get the phone I have some time to return it. But I'm going in with a fair thought.

Well, if they don't deploy a 5x5 on B2, then you're still stuck with no LTE. That phone is just ill-suited to markets without B17.

Yeah, considering that AT&T doesn't own B5 spectrum AT ALL in Akron, that should have been the first flag that something else was wrong! That's a B17 market, with B2 HSPA+. B2 is LTE unlikely given their spectrum position there.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I questioned if I should get the AT&T model or the pure. Everyone on here said that the AT&T model would have bloat,carrier logo,be locked and be worth less $$$ than the PURE if/when I go to sell. I think in most instances this would be correct. But now with the lack of LTE bands on the Pure edition I am thinking I might have to cancel. I travel ( Mexico,Philippines,Japan) and would worry my phone might not work in some countries. Am I correct in thinking this? If this is true it would sure be a bummer

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
There is a post somewhere that states the method of using your old imei will work, but if you change cell towers it could shut your phone off from service. The reason is that at&t randomly confirms the imei number on the phone to the one on record at given times when you pass through cell towers. However, you may be okay, but there is a chance that your service could be stopped all of a sudden. As to why the pure edition isn't showing LTE right off the bat, it is because at&t doesn't support the pure edition moto x for LTE. Even though, the pure edition is more than capable of using LTE with it's bands except for band 5, which is used in rural areas in at&t network. My advice is for you to return the phone for an at&t phone, or wait to see if at&t will later support the phone for their LTE network. The pure edition for some reason seem more crippled for an unlocked T-Mobile and AT&T phone than it should be.

Yeah I think that post you referred to is complete BS. That came from a post on the Moto forums and the person was allegedly told that by an AT&T CS rep. The link is here: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d766a5d90a?page=3

AT&T tech support told him the phone will just stop working when it hits another cell tower and the IMEIs don't match. That is ridiculous. The IMEI on the account is used for provisioning the SIM. And AT&T knows what phone you are using at any time - just log in to your account and check. If that were true then AT&T would be shutting off the service of every person who switches their SIM to a different device. It just doesn't happen. It reeks of an uninformed Tech support person.

And AT&T doesn't support LTE for unlocked devices? BS. See below:

You can bring your own phone or tablet to AT&T with no annual service contract, if your device is unlocked - not programmed to work exclusively on another wireless network, and will work on one of these GSM network frequencies:
•3G UMTS network in the 850 / 1900MHz bands
•4G LTE network AWS / 700 / 850 / 1900MHz bands

Please visit the link below for more details:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Farticle.jsp%3Fsid%3DKB113269&token=PTRIhKgl

BiggAW

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I questioned if I should get the AT&T model or the pure. Everyone on here said that the AT&T model would have bloat,carrier logo,be locked and be worth less $$$ than the PURE if/when I go to sell. I think in most instances this would be correct. But now with the lack of LTE bands on the Pure edition I am thinking I might have to cancel. I travel ( Mexico,Philippines,Japan) and would worry my phone might not work in some countries. Am I correct in thinking this? If this is true it would sure be a bummer

Check with AT&T's global roaming page, they show what bands they currently have deals for in what country, although those could change any day. Without LTE global roaming, you still should be able to use HSPA+ global roaming in any country that supports it, mostly through 850/1900 (parts of the Western Hemisphere) or 2100 (the rest of the world) or 900 (in a very few select places, not all phones support it).

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d766a5d90a?page=4

For those that care:
Thanks for your feedback on this topic, and your patience. We're now planning to enable Bands 3, 5 and 7 on the Moto X Pure, via a software update. I can't confirm the timing right now, but I'll share more about that when I know more.

(If you have not already, this is probably a good time to urge everyone to opt-in their Moto X 2nd Gen to the Motorola Feedback Network!)

Good news for all...now about band 12......?

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If this news of an OTA enabling the additional LTE bands pans out, then hats off to Moto for responding to its customers' concerns so quickly. There's no reason the unlocked Pure edition should have fewer LTE bands than the AT&T version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49