Verizon: Moto X (second generation) Launch

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Finally! Some news for vzw customers.
Why this info has to be hidden from us I have no idea.

Regardless, if this is true, what are your thoughts, will we be able to order and buy it off motomaker on 26th or is it only for pre-order?

I really wish we could just order and have a reasonable ship date

Posted via Android Central App

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Remember everyone, this is not official, so anything could still happen.

Whenever it is, they had better have a quick turn around and plenty of stock being late as they are...

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Great for Verizon customers! I got my pure edition on order still! (32gig) Now my waiting game starts! Welcome to the fold Verizon!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It's in the blogs now that simultaneous voice and data will not work with the new Moto x on Verizon until an update comes 'later this fall'. Keep that in mind if you're an early adopter.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
It's in the blogs now that simultaneous voice and data will not work with the new Moto x on Verizon until an update comes 'later this fall'. Keep that in mind if you're an early adopter.

What the fudge vzw??!?
My 3.5 year old Thunderbolt I'm currently on has this, was first phone on vzw to have this feature.
Vzw needs to get their ship together, this is not new to them!

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I haven't seen this anywhere. Other then the iPhone I haven't seen a single 4G LTE phone on Verizon that doesn't support voice and data at the same time while connected to 4G. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the new VoLTE service?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen this anywhere. Other then the iPhone I haven't seen a single 4G LTE phone on Verizon that doesn't support voice and data at the same time while connected to 4G. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the new VoLTE service?

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/20/verizon-moto-x-launch-without-simultaneous-voice-data/

According to Phandroid, he's correct. I use this feature all the time on my X but it won't stop me from buying it as long as the update comes relatively fast. We just have to wait on an update for VoLTE or "Advanced calling 1.0". Does anyone know the technical reason for this? It still has 3G radios, I believe, so what would prevent it from using the current setup of voice on 1x/3g and LTE for data? Any input on this?

On a side note, the iPhone 6/6+ on Verizon can do voice and data at the same time thanks to VoLTE as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
http://phandroid.com/2014/09/20/verizon-moto-x-launch-without-simultaneous-voice-data/

According to Phandroid, he's correct. I use this feature all the time on my X but it won't stop me from buying it as long as the update comes relatively fast. We just have to wait on an update for VoLTE or "Advanced calling 1.0". Does anyone know the technical reason for this? It still has 3G radios, I believe, so what would prevent it from using the current setup of voice on 1x/3g and LTE for data? Any input on this?

On a side note, the iPhone 6/6+ on Verizon can do voice and data at the same time thanks to VoLTE as well.

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen that. My only concern now is hasn't it been said that for the time being VoLTE only works when calling other Verizon customers? I am sure its going to work on everything eventually but this definitely gives me reservations on the new Moto X.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Well winter starts December 21 so assuming they even keep their 'schedule'...we may see android L on the VZW moto X before we can talk and use data at the same time :-/

jbern8

May 24, 2010
Visit site

If the cmda and LTE chips share a "radio path", then only one radio can be used at a time. That was the case for the iPhone 5s. It depends on the internals of the phone, its not the technology itself. I believe the 2013 moto x is able to do 1x voice along with LTE data, but I might be mistaken.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
it's great new moto x will be helping vzw dump their old system and move to the new.. but...

what the funk?

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is eligible for Advanced Calling 1.0?
A: Any Verizon customer with a compatible phone and a postpaid calling plan is eligible. Please note that the following features are currently incompatible with Advanced Calling 1.0: Ringback Tones and Caller Name ID. Additional incompatible features apply for Business and Government customers.

what I don't understand is that in the picture on the Sammy phone, there is a name, ie Caller ID, but yet they state it's an incompatible feature? (of course the pic is only for illustration purposes)

source (at the bottom of page): Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If the cmda and LTE chips share a "radio path", then only one radio can be used at a time. That was the case for the iPhone 5s. It depends on the internals of the phone, its not the technology itself. I believe the 2013 moto x is able to do 1x voice along with LTE data, but I might be mistaken.

Its more complicated than that, because the originaly LTE phones on verizon(exp. thunderbolt, Rezound) could definately also 3g(and maybe even 1x?) while on a voice call. 4g has always been able to be used on android phones, but 3g depends on how the hardware is laid out.

It is odd if this is true. I am sure whatever it is, it is proprietary and controlled by Verizon...

jbern8

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Its more complicated than that, because the originaly LTE phones on verizon(exp. thunderbolt, Rezound) could definately also 3g(and maybe even 1x?) while on a voice call. 4g has always been able to be used on android phones, but 3g depends on how the hardware is laid out.

It is odd if this is true. I am sure whatever it is, it is proprietary and controlled by Verizon...

Google svlte and svdo. The few phones that had svdo had an extra chip making it more complicated and expensive. Cdma Voice always runs on 1x, when its ip/digital voice (volte) it's really just another data connection.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
it's great new moto x will be helping vzw dump their old system and move to the new.. but...

what the funk?

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who is eligible for Advanced Calling 1.0?
A: Any Verizon customer with a compatible phone and a postpaid calling plan is eligible. Please note that the following features are currently incompatible with Advanced Calling 1.0: Ringback Tones and Caller Name ID. Additional incompatible features apply for Business and Government customers.

what I don't understand is that in the picture on the Sammy phone, there is a name, ie Caller ID, but yet they state it's an incompatible feature? (of course the pic is only for illustration purposes)

source (at the bottom of page): Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

I think that means the application Verizon currently preloads on almost every android device will not work properly with "Advanced Calling 1.0". I don't think Verizon would brag about this feature if basic caller ID wouldn't work. Maybe that means they'll stop preloading that app or more likely they'll update it so they can continue bloating our phones up.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What the fudge vzw??!?
My 3.5 year old Thunderbolt I'm currently on has this, was first phone on vzw to have this feature.
Vzw needs to get their ship together, this is not new to them!

I got my tbolt on launch day (happy birthday to me) and it cracked three months later. I'm thoroughly impressed that yours made it so long.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I got my tbolt on launch day (happy birthday to me) and it cracked three months later. I'm thoroughly impressed that yours made it so long.

thanks,
knock on bamboo (of the new moto x that I'd would like to get), both my wife and I somehow managed to keep our same-as-launch-day units in tact :)

both rooted and rom'd too (de-skinned from sense)
not that htc was bad, I just really don't want anymore mickey mouse skins

after getting an OG X for my dad, helping him set it up and play around with it a bit, I started to see and feel how my experience on an X would be really great. He got the 2013 X a little late in the earlier months of 2014, I told myself I'll just wait for the newer one as leaks were starting to show up of the X+1 :D

ArsVendy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just called one of my local Verizon stores and they confirmed that they'll have the Moto X for sale on Friday with demo units expected to be set up at the stores at that time. I wonder how long the delay will be for 32GB Moto Maker units...

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So new moto X (and iphone 6) users on verizon have 2 call/data options:

1) Enable VoLTE (advanced calling 1.0) and have voice + data but if you leave a LTE area your call will drop as there is no handoff to 3G

2) Do not enable VoLTE, get handoff from LTE to 3G, but lose the ability to have voice + data at the same time

I dont know about you..but I see my phone go from 4G to 3G all the time around west michigan, even around Grand Rapids. I can't imagine knowing that every time I get in my car on a call I will be dropping my calls every 10 miles or so just so that I can have data running in the background (streaming, google map updates, etc).

This isn't Moto's fault, verizon is requiring the VoLTE functionality in every new phone, but I can't be hanging up on clients constantly. I tried straight talk and hung up on 3 of the first 6 conference calls I had...just tossed that $60 in the trash knowing I can't work like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs