Moto X 2014 Thinking about making the leap from iOS

baseballbert

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been eyeing the Moto X for a few weeks and I'm intrigued by it. I've been using iOS (iPhone 3-5, iPad and a few iPods) and I really like it. I gave a Droid Incredible a shot back when those came out but it didn't pan out for me.

However, after checking out the Moto X at a store yesterday, I'm thinking it might be kind of cool to try something else. There is only one app I've got on iOS that I don't for business use but I can use my iPad. I've checked for all of the other ones I use, and they're all there.

My questions are:
1) How easy is it to get my music from iTunes to Google?
2) How is Motorola with updates? Do they come regularly?
3) I'm assuming I can set up a POP account for my email?

I've got a couple of concerns:
1) Making the switch from iOS and the amount of time it will take to get used to a new OS.
2) Only 32GB of storage, I take tons of pics and I want to make sure there is enough space for music, pictures and apps.

Thanks a ton to anyone who takes the time to chime in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baseballbert

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Thinking about making the leap from iOS

One more, can I use ATT Next on the Motorola site to custom design the phone? Thanks!

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I've been eyeing the Moto X for a few weeks and I'm intrigued by it. I've been using iOS (iPhone 3-5, iPad and a few iPods) and I really like it. I gave a Droid Incredible a shot back when those came out but it didn't pan out for me.

However, after checking out the Moto X at a store yesterday, I'm thinking it might be kind of cool to try something else. There is only one app I've got on iOS that I don't for business use but I can use my iPad. I've checked for all of the other ones I use, and they're all there.

My questions are:

1) Making the switch from iOS and the amount of time it will take to get used to a new OS.
2) Only 32GB of storage, I take tons of pics and I want to make sure there is enough space for music, pictures and apps.

Thanks a ton to anyone who takes the time to chime in!

(1) Music from iTunes may be a pain unless someone here can help. You could try ripping the songs from the phone, but you will need some help from here.

(2) Motorola is actually really really good at updates. They were able to push KitKat on the 2013 moto x's before the nexus lines finished putting KitKat on their phones. Also, they update their apps constantly while adding improvements.

(3) yes

(4) the moto is will be a great start for you because it uses clean android without the skins unlike Samsung, HTC, and etc... The moto x actually enhances your experience to make things easier as well. Plus, if you run into any questions then feel free to post here.

(5) you will have to monitor your space and maybe use Dropbox, google drive, or your laptop to store stuff that may fill up your phone too much. I found out after I switched from the iPhone that I rather listen to the radio than the same songs I own.

Anyways, the moto x is a great phone that does things for me and has a great feel to it. The camera is okay and the battery could be bigger, but I think it would take away from the excellent price and form factor. Plus, with android you can do some cool things that you couldn't do with iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

Grim Ton

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Sync your iTunes library to Google play music. Probably the most stress free way

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

My questions are:

I am also an iOS user that just took the plunge (been using the Nexus 7 for about a year as a secondary device). I'm afraid that I've been running a different setup from you so I won't have all that many answers but here's what I know:

1. If you actually purchased your music through iTunes, you might be out of luck. However, if they're non DRM files you should just be able to drop them in your music folder over USB and be golden.

2. From what I've read, the Moto X should only be behind a Nexus device in receiving updates. At very least, it's guaranteed to get Android L when it's released

3. Not positive on this one but I'd wager yes. The default mail app is Gmail so if the account works in Gmail, it'll work on the X. If not, I'm sure there's a Gmail alternative on the Play Store that will work.

About your concerns:

1. Moving to a new OS can be disorienting and scary at first but the basic tasks should be very similar. If you stick with it, you'll be an Android pro in no time.

2. Have you been using a 64gb iPhone? If not, you should have no problem. If you are still finding yourself running out of storage, perhaps try a cloud based service for storing pics or only store a couple playlists of music and stream the rest with Pandora or Spotify.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Only 32GB of storage, I take tons of pics and I want to make sure there is enough space for music, pictures and apps.

Pics should not be a concern given the backup and integration with Google+. You can set the phone to automatically back up the pics on Google+, then delete pics from the phone's local storage, and then you can still manage all of your pics (both those in the cloud and those on the phone) via the Photos app on the phone.

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I have all my music in ITunes and I have not used an Apple product for a number of years. Google music will sync all your music from your iTunes folder into the google cloud without any issues if they are DRM free. It works great.

baseballbert

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

I do have the 64GB iPhone 5, and I've run out of space because of the family pics. I do like the auto delete feature. Never used Dropbox for pictures. I will have to check that out.

Most of my music is purchased on iTunes.

The Moto X just seems like the phone I'd like the best. The extra bells and whistles that Samsung and HTC add are a little much IMO. The LG G3 looks kind of cool too, but I like the X form factor a lot better.

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

OneDrive will get you 30GB free storage. Switched this week from Dropbox. Android is exciting you can make your own experience vs apple. I've owned both

From my new Moto X

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Plus mobile office integrates nice for work stuff. Can't you use moto migrate? Idk

Go Faster

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

All I did is open iTunes and selected all my music and clicked CREATE AAC VERSION and I loaded them straight to my GS4 and I just picked up a Moto X (2014) today and look forward to setting it up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2