Moto X 2nd Gen Tempered Glass?

AlwaysSmile

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I am searching and searching all over including Amazon and eBay but so far no luck!
Have anybody found yet a Tempered Glass Screen protector for the new Moto X?
If you did share the link to buy or anything else!
Thanks in advance

Posted via Android Central App On My T-Mobile LG G3

tomokatsu

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I found on on AT&T's website which looks much better (IMO) than the Verizon one - it covers the full front, not just the screen.

/accessories/screen-protectors/bodyguardz-pure-tempered-glass-screen-protector-moto-x-2ndgen.html

Weirdly, I can't find it listed on the manufacturer's website yet.

(Apparently I can't post links... Add AT&T to the front of that path.)

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have never used a tempered glass screen protector, though I was interested in knowing from those who do and have used it, what cons (if any) do you notice using it?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have never used a tempered glass screen protector, though I was interested in knowing from those who do and have used it, what cons (if any) do you notice using it?
I don't see any con if you buy a quality one, which will be more scratch resistant and have oleophobic coating so it will feel smooth just like the original glass. A cheap ones can get cracks in the corner even if not fully shatter and pick up more finger prints, as well as not being smooth. Overall they do a very good job protecting the screen.

Right now I'm more interested in sapphire coated tempered glass which DimoGlass sells and have lifetime warranty, but they only offer for limited phone models and they can be expensive.

K_MAC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I found on on AT&T's website which looks much better (IMO) than the Verizon one - it covers the full front, not just the screen.

/accessories/screen-protectors/bodyguardz-pure-tempered-glass-screen-protector-moto-x-2ndgen.html

Weirdly, I can't find it listed on the manufacturer's website yet.

(Apparently I can't post links... Add AT&T to the front of that path.)

I already picked up the Verizon one but like the way this one looks much better. I may see if I can stop by AT&T to get one and return the other to Verizon.

dg4free

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I got the bodyguardz version from the AT&T store yesterday. It might be the dude who installed it but I can't get the glass to lay flush with the device on the edges. There's about an 1/8" gap around the entire protector where there's air between the two. I've tried pressing it in using the squeegee and no luck. This is also the second one he used because the first did the same thing. He said if it didn't set after a day or two to bring it back.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the Nilkin one for the G 2014, so I'll probably get the same for the X.

Sounds like you know your tempered glass.

Could you please share your opinion via rank on the different brands. Such as, I know zagg makes T-glass too, though I wouldn't know where they stand in comparison to the protector from At&t or the Nilkin you just posted.

Just to get an idea.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you know your tempered glass.

Could you please share your opinion via rank on the different brands. Such as, I know zagg makes T-glass too, though I wouldn't know where they stand in comparison to the protector from At&t or the Nilkin you just posted.

Just to get an idea.
I haven't used all the brands and it's really hard to tell base on 'specs' that they list. Generally you get what you pay for and the only way is to get feedback by other users. Some companies have better warranty service than other. Generally if you pay less than $10 you'll get something average that'll be okay for the job. Even a $3 one will protect your phone, it just will be a finger print magnet and not smooth.

The important thing is to get one that have good oleophobic coating so it feel smooth just like the real glass. Some are better at resisting scratches. Some are more brittle than other. The thinner ones (less than 0.3mm) are rated at 8H and more flexible, but is more fragile. I tend to get ones rated at 9H, but in the end of the day, these rating are just claims that doesn't really mean anything.

Nilkin seems okay to me, not the smoothest oleophobic but still very acceptable. I like Monoy and TechPro a lot. Monoy are very smooth and TechPro ones are quite thick compared to the rest. I have bad experience with iBlason which seems a bit fragile.

Right now I'm interested in a brand called DimoGlass which have sapphire coated tempered glass. They are very expensive, but they have no question asked lifetime warranty. They don't have anything for Motorola at the moment though.

From my experience, if you have a baby or drop your phone often then you will need a tempered glass screen protector. It won't resist the baby throwing it face down onto ceramic floor more than a few times, but it will protect the phone. Once it's crack, especially across the entire piece, the level of protection for the real glass below can be significantly reduced.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Zagg is very good and has a lifetime warranty if it breaks. You just register them and if it breaks they will replace it. They fit well and are very hard and smooth. They are also expensive. I bought one for my iPhone 6+ since the brand I usually buy on Amazon was not available when i got my iPhone. The brand I like on Amazon is pthink. I have used them for my Lumia 925, Nexus 5, OnePlus One. They are usually $12-15 and are available on Prime once they make them.

Tempered glass is much harder than the film protectors and are designed to take the impact and absorb the energy of drop by breaking and protecting your screen underneath.

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Someone posted on another thread that the curved part of the glass there was a crack. It seems that none of these screen protectors will protect the curved edge of the glass. I was going to do without a case or bumper and just a screen protector. I will have to rethink this plan.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Someone posted on another thread that the curved part of the glass there was a crack. It seems that none of these screen protectors will protect the curved edge of the glass. I was going to do without a case or bumper and just a screen protector. I will have to rethink this plan.
You will need a wet applied screen protector to protect the curved edges. Such as Xtreme Guard or Skinomi.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys!

...Zagg is very good and has a lifetime warranty if it breaks....

I used to use zagg (film) on my BB Storm, and about 2 years on my current thunderbolt (no film for about a year+). I even had it replaced and they sent new ones. It's great it can be sent in for a new one I agree. Funny I even got zagg film for my wife's and my asus tablets - though never put them on!
Sapphire would be the key though.

However, I will take this into consideration too:

...The important thing is to get one that have good oleophobic coating so it feel smooth just like the real glass. ....

I appreciate the input!

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Zagg is my favorite as far as tempered glass goes. Great quality and lifetime warranty. As for regular screen protectors, I used Skinomi on my past phones, went through 2 of them. The screen protector will start coming off or develop areas of bubbles after around 2 months, not my favorite screen protector.

contesauce

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So I ordered the Bodyguardz tempered pure screen protector from AT&T, they had both, the rectangular one that only covered the visible screen portion, and then the "full" bodied one. I opted for the full body. While I'm certainly happy with the feel beneath my fingers (smooth as buttered silk) I'm not particularly ecstatic with the edges of the screens protection.
To be clear, the edges of the glass DO adhese to the body of my phone, but you can plainly see in the pictures that it appears to show space under the edges. I'm fearful of putting it in my pocket because I don't want dirt and debris to build up under my screens edge. I could put a case on the phone but that defeats the purpose of this beautiful device. I may go with the bumper, but I like a slim phone the way it is, which is why I buy a slim phone and not a hardened phone. Still I thought I'd share my current experience with any users deciding whether to get this for their device.

IMG_20141003_063242442_HDR.jpgIMG_20141003_063312229.jpgIMG_20141003_063508933_HDR.jpgIMG_20141003_063513961_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith