Moto X 2014 Noticed phone goes from 4g to 1x when making a call

gaddang2

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, new to AC. Picked up my Moto X on launch day at Verizon, and everytime I make a call, I notice the 4g signal at the top go down to 1x. Kind of new to smartphones, so just wondering what's going on. My wife upgraded to an HTC One M8 last month and her 4g remained stable during her calls. Pic is below

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 0929141950a.jpg
    0929141950a.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 336

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Noticed phone goes from 4g to 1x when making a call

The moto x on verizon will not have voice + data until advanced calling 1.0 is released "this fall". At that time you can enable VoLTE (advanced calling 1.0) in your verizon account and in your phone settings to have voice + data while on Verizon's 4G network.

gaddang2

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the reply, I knew something was up.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Anybody know if the AT&T or T-Mobile version will support volte?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Actually, every Motorola phone I've owned does this. It has never affected the phones performance. As soon as the call is completed, it goes back to normal. BTW, I've had the OG Droid, Droid 2, and Droid 4.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Actually, every Motorola phone I've owned does this. It has never affected the phones performance. As soon as the call is completed, it goes back to normal. BTW, I've had the OG Droid, Droid 2, and Droid 4.

The 1st gen Moto X on Verizon remains connected to 4G when making a phone call. It's quite useful when you need to look something up while on a call (email/maps/Yelp).

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The 1st gen Moto X on Verizon remains connected to 4G when making a phone call. It's quite useful when you need to look something up while on a call (email/maps/Yelp).

You are correct, I've just noticed that my '13 X stays on LTE when connected to a call.

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Anybody know if the AT&T or T-Mobile version will support volte?
No VoLTE support on Moto X 2014 right now. So when you are in a call on ATT/TMO the data rate will drop from LTE to 3G.

Last edited:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

No VoLTE support on Moto X 2014 right now. So when you are in a call the data rate will drop from LTE to 3G.

It drops from LTE to nothing. On a call = no data at any speed. Unless you have someone text you 1's and 0's really quickly.

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

It drops from LTE to nothing. On a call = no data at any speed. Unless you have someone text you 1's and 0's really quickly.
What you said is true on Verizon. I agree no data at all while in a call. I was answering the question about VoLTE on ATT and TMO. On ATT/TMO you still get data but it slows to 3G. I will clarify my earlier response.

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

This will most likely be the reason I do not get this phone... Terribly disappointed.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site

It is not a permanent situation.

Posted via Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

It is not a permanent situation.

Posted via Android Central App
The limitations of VoLTE in a not-quite-perfect-4g-network are. Go check out Verizon's coverage map. Anywhere but the darkest color means there's a chance (in my experience, a very good chance) of dropping into 3G. If you're on a VoLTE call it will get dropped as your phone switches to 3G.

I'm probably going to deal with it. I like verizon quite a bit. But it's partially on faith that verizon's solution for *all of their new phones* is to upgrade their network or figure out VoLTE to 3G handoff, and not to tell people "sorry just turn off VoLTE and live with no data when you're on calls if you dont want calls dropping as you drive around town".

Untitled.png

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I also don't want to buy a smartphone that depends on a future update to have capabilities that almost every other smartphone has now. Plus you never know when this update may come. Terrible planning if you ask me.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Here's the thing. I don't think OP's question has to do with VoLTE. Like I stated before, my older Droid phones always did this. However, my current OG X does not. However, this never hurt my old Droids performance in any matter. OP, I would go to your local VZW store and make a call with one of the demo units and see if does it. If it doesn't, I would ask a rep or even get a hold of Motorola about it.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I also don't want to buy a smartphone that depends on a future update to have capabilities that almost every other smartphone has now. Plus you never know when this update may come. Terrible planning if you ask me.

What, VoLTE? Only 3 phones have it, iPhone 6, G2, and I think the S5 on VZW right now. Every other phone has to wait for an OTA update. That is not every other phone.

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

What, VoLTE? Only 3 phones have it, iPhone 6, G2, and I think the S5 on VZW right now. Every other phone has to wait for an OTA update. That is not every other phone.

Most Every other phone can access data (maintain 4g)while talking on the phone at the same time.

gaddang2

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Went to my Verizon store yesterday to bring up the issue,and sure enough an employee working there with the exact same Moto x goes from 4g to 1x when making calls. He told me an update will be available later this year to fix it. That is pretty much what everyone on this thread is saying. Thanks for the replies, just wanted to verify nothing was wrong with my Moto X. The lack of 4g doesn't interfere in the calls whatsoever. I live in Texas and I call relatives in Hawaii daily, and reception and sound is better than my old Ultra.

Lazaretto

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I can't see keeping this phone if it is crippled till a future update. I use 4g a lot while talking on my Bluetooth.