Moto X 2014 Large icons?

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The app icons on the home screen are huge!! Tried navigating through the settings menu but didn't see any option to make them smaller. Any thoughts?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Large icons?

That is the GNL (Google Now Launcher) and stock android. Same as the Nexus 5

Last edited:

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Its not gel. Try downloading that. Icons may be smaller with that. Gel launcher has google now to the left. Stock does not.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The Moto X doesn't use the Google Now Launcher?

(Side note: it's not GEL. lol)

If no Google Now to the left, the Moto X is probably just using the AOSP Launcher3.

The Google Now Launcher is just a modified version of the stock Android launcher with Google Now to the left.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Ry, you're correct, it is launcher3. Downloaded the nova launcher and am back in business. Thanks!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

If no Google Now to the left, the Moto X is probably just using the AOSP Launcher3.

The Google Now Launcher is just a modified version of the stock Android launcher with Google Now to the left.

lol what ever it is called it is why the icons are big...and I am pretty sure it is stock on the new Moto X.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Saw those large icons in the store. I'll definitely have to use GEL or Nova if either can solve that issue.

Reminds me of one more thing I didn't like about the Maxx vs the 2013 Moto X was that the screen looked like a blown up version of the Moto X screen.

Sent from my Moto X

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

Google Now is to the left once you set it up.
Also when you go to Google Now Launcher in the Play Store, it says Open instead of Install.

Posted via the Android Central App

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Slightly different question about icon sizes. Coming from iOS which seems to rigidly adhere to a specific icon display size I notice that with my phone some apps that are represented as square icons are scaled differently. There is an inconsistency in their dimensions. Will using a different launcher address this? I think the Phone icon is huge.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Coming from iOS

If you didn't know already (being that you're coming from ios), using different launchers can aid in how many icon apps you'd like to see on your home screen(s) as well as the app drawer.
What I mean is, maybe you'd like 6 on a row and 4 in a column.
To take it further, for certain launchers, you can also download icon packs that enable you to customize the look of your phone even more.
Just search "icon pack" in play store, so many different shapes and gradients to choose from

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Please refer as Google Now Launcher which is the official name. There is no such ting as Google Experience Launcher, that's something someone made up.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.google.android.launcher&token=04qvQkkz

It was called the Google Experience Launcher at sometime. For something that does not exist it sure is all over Google. So sue me...I called it by the wrong name. The name may be made up but not by me...

How to get the Google Experience Launcher on the Galaxy S5 - Opinion - Trusted Reviews

Google experience launcher Archives - Android Police - Android News, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/themes-apps/apps-google-experience-launcher-gel-app-t2529594

and many more that say or use the term GEL...

I stand corrected and will call it the google now launcher...and I get my Moto X pure edition tomorrow google now launcher, big icons and all!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

To me, it's kind of like people calling all Android phones Droids. We all know what you mean, but it's just not the correct terminology. For many of us tech-obsessed people, it can be a bit like fingernails on a chalkboard! :p

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Granted. As someone who preordered the Nexus 5 last year that is the term that was used official or not even here on AC. Even saw Ry correct some other threads so apparently the term was used quite a bit at least until the launcher was available to other android devices. I am almost sure that the initial apk was called Google Experience Launcher but not 100% positive.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127...y-has-its-name-changed-to-google-now-launcher

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Find me any official Google documentation that says Google Experience Launcher.

IIRC, blogs, enthusiasts, and leakers called it GEL. Google didn't.

There was no name to change it was never GEL.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Find me any official Google documentation that says Google Experience Launcher.

IIRC, blogs, enthusiasts, and leakers called it GEL. Google didn't.

There was no name to change it was never GEL.

You're right!