This is something that I would suggest that any Android phone should have.

You can use an app like AutomateIt or Tasker and save on your battery life by making the phone behave optimally under different circumstances. Or just make your life easier, by automatically doing things when the phone is plugged in and charging, for example.

You have an Android phone, this is one of the best features of being on Android. You can't do this with an iPhone. My favorite rule is to turn off the mobile data whenever I am connected to wifi. But there are so many other things you can do, such as disabling the screen lock or changing the brightness level depending on whether you are at home or somewhere specific. Overnight, you can turn off the mobile sync and the mobile data so that the phone will not burn up battery while sleeping. Do you really want to have an email come in and wake you up in the middle of the night? Or wake your phone and burn your battery? Granted, with the Moto X it will just be an active notification. But still, wouldn't it be better to just get everything at 7 o'clock in the morning or six?

You can also do time-based actions such as at a certain time every day, play a sound. If you want to change the way the phone behaves when your headset is plugged in, like decreasing the volume so that you don't blow out your ear drums, it's very handy.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-01-2014 11:15 PM
    I played around with those things, but in the end uninstalled them all.

First off, who doesn't plug their phone and mute the ringer overnight? All those options are nice but misfit unnecessary. More importantly, my schedule is so variable that any attempt to automate things just gets annoying - that only works if you're consistently in the same place at the same time most days.
    10-01-2014 11:44 PM
    I played around with those things, but in the end uninstalled them all.

First off, who doesn't plug their phone and mute the ringer overnight? All those options are nice but misfit unnecessary. More importantly, my schedule is so variable that any attempt to automate things just gets annoying - that only works if you're consistently in the same place at the same time most days.
    I don't. Because my phone goes quiet at 10 o'clock every night and enables noise at 7.

And even then, I was only listing the other things as examples of what you could do. It's very convenient to just make little things easier even with an erratic schedule. Very simple things like having the screen go to full brightness and the time out change from something short to something long when the power is connected. Or if you have Google Maps running while driving, to automatically open Waze. There are lots of little things that make life easier.

Some of those behaviors are things that save the battery and are good for any phone, not just the Moto X.

10-01-2014 11:50 PM
    This is something that I would suggest that any Android phone should have.

You can use an app like AutomateIt or Tasker and save on your battery life by making the phone behave optimally under different circumstances. Or just make your life easier, by automatically doing things when the phone is plugged in and charging, for example.

You have an Android phone, this is one of the best features of being on Android. You can't do this with an iPhone. My favorite rule is to turn off the mobile data whenever I am connected to wifi. But there are so many other things you can do, such as disabling the screen lock or changing the brightness level depending on whether you are at home or somewhere specific. Overnight, you can turn off the mobile sync and the mobile data so that the phone will not burn up battery while sleeping. Do you really want to have an email come in and wake you up in the middle of the night? Or wake your phone and burn your battery? Granted, with the Moto X it will just be an active notification. But still, wouldn't it be better to just get everything at 7 o'clock in the morning or six?

You can also do time-based actions such as at a certain time every day, play a sound. If you want to change the way the phone behaves when your headset is plugged in, like decreasing the volume so that you don't blow out your ear drums, it's very handy.

Don't tell me what to do...

J/K

How is Automatelt compared to Tasker, user friendly wise? I DL'ed Tasker (paid) but it seems like it has a steep learning curve and I been too busy to futz around with it.

On a side note, whenever I use Google Now to set a reminder or an alarm, I always manually check it to see if it saved. In that time, I can just manually set it. I'm afraid my OCD would take over if I used Tasker or similar. Has it hiccupped at all in your experience?

10-01-2014 11:58 PM
    Don't tell me what to do...

J/K

How is Automatelt compared to Tasker, user friendly wise? I DL'ed Tasker (paid) but it seems like it has a steep learning curve and I been too busy to futz around with it.

On a side note, whenever I use Google Now to set a reminder or an alarm, I always manually check it to see if it saved. In that time, I can just manually set it. I'm afraid my OCD would take over if I used Tasker or similar. Has it hiccupped at all in your experience?

AutomateIt is worlds easier to learn than Tasker, far more intuitive. Try the free version. Sorry about your OCD! ๐Ÿ˜Š

My only complaint is that I have to set up two rules to change a status. That is, it's not a simple toggle back to default. But I very much enjoy some of the conveniences. Generally I am using a Nexus 7 tablet and the original Moto X. Computing power is enough that generally the rules do not hiccup.

10-02-2014 12:20 AM
    AutomateIt is worlds easier to learn than Tasker, far more intuitive. Try the free version. Sorry about your OCD! ๐Ÿ˜Š

My only complaint is that I have to set up two rules to change a status. That is, it's not a simple toggle back to default. But I very much enjoy some of the conveniences. Generally I am using a Nexus 7 tablet and the original Moto X. Computing power is enough that generally the rules do not hiccup.

Appreciate the reply. I'll give Automatelt a good look. I'm all for automation so once I get started with it, I'm sure I'll love it.

OCD stems from me thinking I set an alarm that never went off. Now, I double and triple check everything I set. I was late for work that particular morning (very late) and I worked for a Department that doesn't take kindly to tardiness.

10-02-2014 05:44 AM
    My favorite rule is to turn off the mobile data whenever I am connected to wifi.
    I don't get this... when connected to WiFi don't all Android phones use that connection rather than mobile data anyway?
    10-02-2014 11:24 AM
    They use it but the radio is still on. This should turn it off.

10-02-2014 11:44 AM
    I like Llama for automating my phone. I have it toggle wifi on/off depending on where I am as well as turn the ringer off at night when I plug my phone into the charger, and turn it back on when I take it off the charger in the morning.
    Anonne likes this.
    10-02-2014 11:50 AM
    I like Llama for automating my phone. I have it toggle wifi on/off depending on where I am as well as turn the ringer off at night when I plug my phone into the charger, and turn it back on when I take it off the charger in the morning.
    Does Llama have plugins? I know Tasker and AutomateIt do.

10-02-2014 02:34 PM
    You could try out the latest automation app Automate:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...tic-tasks.html
    10-02-2014 07:09 PM