Questions for Moto X(2014) Owners

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had many of mobile devices. Recently I upgraded to an LG G3, although the features were great I was unhappy with the user experience and overall fluidity of the UI, after calling Verizon and speaking to the supervisors supervisor, they agreed to place an upgrade on my line. I just sold my G3 on ebay and now I am stuck with an old iPhone 4 until I swap it for a Note 4.

1- After reading several reviews about the new Moto X I am intrigued. MKBHD did a review and said that its performance was the best he'd ever experienced even more fluid than an N5. This is what I am interested in, is it that good? Better than the famous iPhone experience UI smoothness?

2- One of my major concerns is storage, unless I order from Moto Maker I am stuck with a 16GB option from Verizon. Coming from the G3 I had 32 GB internal and a 64 GB SD card (that i would no longer be able to use) I barely touched the internal storage because i store everything on the SD card. However this isn't too concerning. What I am more concerned about and what i have little experience with is google drive or any other cloud service. I know i can research it but i'd rather have a testimony from an avid android cloud user.

3- Battery life, the G3 got pretty good battery life. How is battery life with the Moto X? can you last a full day? How is quick is quick charging?

4- A lot of users always preface their advice with " every user is different get what you like or what fits your needs" while this is true, what type of user would you recommend this to? I use my device for business/personal

5- Camera, most reviews say its meh, what has been your experience?

Thanks for your replies, i'm intrigued mostly because user experience and fluidity is of the utmost importance to me.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Switching from G3 to Moto X myself. Actually my G3 is at home and I'm using an iPhone 5 in the interim until my new Moto X is delivered tomorrow. Like you, I like the UI features of the G3 and it is a very good device but the software is sluggish at times and slow to open apps, drove me nuts. You say that you're waiting for a Note 4, I had some time with a Note 3 and I found the software experience to be much like that of the G3, maybe the Note 4 will be better. I can't speak directly to many of your questions since I don't have my Moto X yet. I can say from the storage stand point, it's really not that much of an issue. I ordered the 32gb version because I'm in the camp of "more is always better". But Google Drive, Dropbox and Google Music are excellent ways to avoid needing files directly on your device. With the Moto X, OTG is also an option (one that I plan to use frequently). Good luck with your decision.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had many of mobile devices. Recently I upgraded to an LG G3, although the features were great I was unhappy with the user experience and overall fluidity of the UI, after calling Verizon and speaking to the supervisors supervisor, they agreed to place an upgrade on my line. I just sold my G3 on ebay and now I am stuck with an old iPhone 4 until I swap it for a Note 4.

1- After reading several reviews about the new Moto X I am intrigued. MKBHD did a review and said that its performance was the best he'd ever experienced even more fluid than an N5. This is what I am interested in, is it that good? Better than the famous iPhone experience UI smoothness?

It's right up there with everything else I've used this year (M8, G3, GS5, etc.). M8 might feel just a wee bit faster, but it's real close.

2- One of my major concerns is storage, unless I order from Moto Maker I am stuck with a 16GB option from Verizon. Coming from the G3 I had 32 GB internal and a 64 GB SD card (that i would no longer be able to use) I barely touched the internal storage because i store everything on the SD card. However this isn't too concerning. What I am more concerned about and what i have little experience with is google drive or any other cloud service. I know i can research it but i'd rather have a testimony from an avid android cloud user.

ALWAYS get more internal storage than you think you'll need. Always.

3- Battery life, the G3 got pretty good battery life. How is battery life with the Moto X? can you last a full day? How is quick is quick charging?

Quick charging isn't available yet. But I'm getting a good 12-15 hours of use, which given the starting capacity of the battery isn't horrible. There have been times — say if I know I'm going out at night and not just chilling at home — that I'll top-of in the afternoon.

4- A lot of users always preface their advice with " every user is different get what you like or what fits your needs" while this is true, what type of user would you recommend this to? I use my device for business/personal

Anyone/everyone. If you're using Exchange, you'll be on your own a little to find apps that work best for you as there's no real built-in support like you get from Samsung or HTC, say. (That's not to say Exchange doesn't work.)

It's just OK. Lots of noise if the light's not real good. But shutter response is nice. If you're not going to be in the dark a lot, it should do you OK. But there definitely are better cameras.

(My full review: Moto X Review (2014) | Android Central)

csleverette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Anyone/everyone. If you're using Exchange, you'll be on your own a little to find apps that work best for you as there's no real built-in support like you get from Samsung or HTC, say. (That's not to say Exchange doesn't work.)

Phil could you go into more detail here? I know last year I got rid of my Moto X (2013) because I had significant issues getting its mail app to work with our exchange server at work. Are you saying that this is still a problem?

If you covered this in your review article, my apologies in advance.

Thanks,
Collin

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You have to realize Apple tune their OS to work different. Android is a very multitasking OS. Some of this is down to the user, also using "ART" (Android runtime) make it smoother (Android L is using ART exclusively). Overall it is one of the smoothest Android phone. All of them are using nearly the same processor right now which can handle stock Android easily. The only one faster I've seen is the OnePlus One running CyanogenMod.

There is no reason not to get the MotoMaker version because you get the customization, like wood and leather. My 32gb pure version only gets 24GB of user storage space. 16gb version definitely wouldn't be enough for me.

No it won't last "24 hours" like the original Moto X. I get about 3.5 to 4hours of screen on time and 16 to 19hours of total battery life. It is good enough from early morning till a little after work, but not into late evening.

This is for people who want a simple experience with practical automation features (read up on the Moto software features like Assist, Display, Voice). It's a phone where you don't have to spend a ton of time to setup and customize. It's definitely a good phone for business people because Motorola have superb voice call quality (4 microphones total to help with noise cancellation) and generally among the best in term of signal quality. I was very happy with the LTE speed on the previous Moto X and this one as well. It's not for spec freeks and gamers. It's not for people who use their phone with 5hours screen on time in a single charge.

Some people think you just need a fast phone and put stock Android in it for it to be a good phone, Moto X offer a lot of more than what is seen on paper in order to make it a great experience.

Unless Motorola update their software, honestly I think it kind of suck in term of being a 2014 flagship. It will get you by if camera isn't your priority. You need good lighting to take good photos, you will get grainy artifacts in low light or even any shadows. The details once again isn't as sharp as some other 13MP phones. Also in low light situation there is lag issues with the front facing camera. I find that taking pictures in HDR modes make the pictures look a lot better by significantly reducing the amount of grains and improve details as well.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
after calling Verizon and speaking to the supervisors supervisor, they agreed to place an upgrade on my line.

Wow that's impressive. I've never been able to get Verizon to give me an upgrade for any reason ever. What did you say to them to get them to agree?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Phil could you go into more detail here? I know last year I got rid of my Moto X (2013) because I had significant issues getting its mail app to work with our exchange server at work. Are you saying that this is still a problem?

If you covered this in your review article, my apologies in advance.

Thanks,
Collin

I'm confused by Phil's comment "no built in support like you get from Samsung/HTC". I've never had an issue with the stock android exchange client?

I use Nine now (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&token=Mlz99KzE) because its $10, looks similar to the stock app, and lets me put the work exchange-required pin only on the exchange app only so I can keep my device PIN-free at home. But what's the issue Phil is talking about?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Wow that's impressive. I've never been able to get Verizon to give me an upgrade for any reason ever. What did you say to them to get them to agree?

Dude, the process is not for everyone. I basically told them that i purchased their flaship device and I was having overheating issues. You have to be a little dramatic. Tell them that you just recently purchased it and be upfront about wanting another device. Don't take no for an answer. Immediately ask for the supervisor after they tell you its not an option. It is an option i've done it multiple times. I'm not proud of it lol but it does work. This works especially well if you have had to gather any warranty replacements.

There are other loop holes as well. I've had them send me like new replacements of another device in exchange for my own. I deal with all of our employees devices for the company so I have a ton of experience with big reds customer service.

If you don't mind feeling like a weasel for an hour, take the plunge.

jdotcarter

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
As for the exchange app I've been using mailwise which also has the security pin work around. All around a great mail app.... The Moto X seems awesome minus battery life. Anyone compare it to the M8 on battery life ? I can't find anything to trump HTC in fluidity and battery. Maybe the Turbo when it's released

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused by Phil's comment "no built in support like you get from Samsung/HTC". I've never had an issue with the stock android exchange client?

I use Nine now (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&token=JP8EA5p8) because its $10, looks similar to the stock app, and lets me put the work exchange-required pin only on the exchange app only so I can keep my device PIN-free at home. But what's the issue Phil is talking about?

I'll second the recommendation for nine. Good app and good support. They pushed an update once that broke my interface with exchange. I contacted them and it was fixed within 24 hours.

I think Phil is referring to how the stock email app has had a checkered history in kit kit. It has had its share of problems with exchange.

Posted via the Android Central App

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have 10gb free on Verizon out of the box. 16gb model here

Battery close to 16hrs with 30% left. Heavy user on exchange and social nedia .

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
It's right up there with everything else I've used this year (M8, G3, GS5, etc.). M8 might feel just a wee bit faster, but it's real close.

ALWAYS get more internal storage than you think you'll need. Always.

Quick charging isn't available yet. But I'm getting a good 12-15 hours of use, which given the starting capacity of the battery isn't horrible. There have been times — say if I know I'm going out at night and not just chilling at home — that I'll top-of in the afternoon.

It's just OK. Lots of noise if the light's not real good. But shutter response is nice. If you're not going to be in the dark a lot, it should do you OK. But there definitely are better cameras.

(My full review: Moto X Review (2014) | Android Central)

Nice video on the Droid Turbo, how fluid does the UI operate in comparison to the new Moto X?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith