Moto x 2014 2nd gen and moto skip/NFC tags

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know why the skip is NOT comparable......is there a work around or do NFC tags possibly work? Not sure if they work the same way the skip does but I never used it on my original X and now feel its something I may be interested in. Ideas?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My new Moto works with all the same tags as before. I do not use the skip. I just downloaded the app trigger. I do not even set it up the tags, they just do the same thing they have always done.

Posted via my Moto X 2

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I'm not familiar .... What do I download Trigger? OK. Did that. Should it give me the ability to unlock my phone despise using a pin code? Found the app just now.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I'm not familiar .... What do I download? Thx

Have you ordered the NFC tags? Once you order the proper type you can download the app called "trigger" from the app store and they you can program the tags to do things lime turn of WiFi and turn in Bluetooth when you touch your phone to a tag in your car etc.

Posted via my Moto X 2

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I use NFC Tags like planoman does, and find them very useful. But sholzer is asking about the Skip itself and why the original Skip doesn't work with the 2014 Moto X.

My best guess is the Skip had a magnet that woke up your phone and then the internal tag would tell the phone to bypass the lock screen. Waking up the phone is necessary because the NFC sensor is only active when the phone's screen is on. Could there be another way to trigger the new Skip maybe?

Motorola may have ditched the magnets to save room internally? It seems the 2013 Moto X magnet tricks for the Skip and the PowerDock don't seem to work on the new model.

Sent from my Moto X

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use NFC Tags like planoman does, and find them very useful. But sholzer is asking about the Skip itself and why the original Skip doesn't work with the 2014 Moto X.

My best guess is the Skip had a magnet that woke up your phone and then the internal tag would tell the phone to bypass the lock screen. Waking up the phone is necessary because the NFC sensor is only active when the phone's screen is on. Could there be another way to trigger the new Skip maybe?

Motorola may have ditched the magnets to save room internally? It seems the 2013 Moto X magnet tricks for the Skip and the PowerDock don't seem to work on the new model.

Sent from my Moto X

My bad. I never used the skip even though I got a free one with my OG moto x. I thought he also asked about NFC tags which I do have experience with.

Posted via my Moto X 2

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
My bad. I never used the skip even though I got a free one with my OG moto x. I thought he also asked about NFC tags which I do have experience with.

Posted via my Moto X 2

No problem! I was just trying to reiterate the question at the bottom of the thread so it would be seen by other people peeking in on the thread.

I bought a Skip but never really used it. I don't like using a lock screen. But if I had to start traveling frequently, I would definitely try it out. I was disappointed that the tags that came with it couldn't be reprogrammed.

Sent from my Moto X

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I got a skip and it is in fact a magnet style but there are 3 stickers inside included. When the phone is unlocked it does show on the screen so its recognizing them. Idk if I can get them to work or not. The more I read I believe I have to root to get it to bypass the lock screen. Work has it locked down in order to use native email client on our phones. That's where I'm at. Would be cool in theory though.

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same situation: work email forces a PIN code on the lock screen (we do government work, so my employer wants to keep work emails from "falling into the wrong hands"), which in certain locations, I would like to be able to bypass. I was excited about getting a skip, but only see one available for the 1st gen Moto X.