Trying to decide on the Moto X but concerned about battery life or reliving a past experience

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 and had to turn off everything on the phone just to make it through the day. I also could not run widgets on the phone as well. Got so bad that I was wondering why I had a smartphone to begin with. I wound up getting rid of it and going back to Apple vowing never to return back to Android. Twelve months later I bought a Note 3 and was very happy with the battery life.

With the Note 3, I could leave the GPS, wifi and everything else enabled. I can run widgets, etc...I was so happy with the phone that I vowed never to go back to Apple. After all, I love the flexibility and custom options of the phones.

Now its time to upgrade again and would like to get closer to a Pure Android experience. Will the battery life on the Moto X be about the same as the battery life on the S3? I do not want to relive that experience.

Thanks

vannylugo

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 and had to turn off everything on the phone just to make it through the day. I also could not run widgets on the phone as well. Got so bad that I was wondering why I had a smartphone to begin with. I wound up getting rid of it and going back to Apple vowing never to return back to Android. Twelve months later I bought a Note 3 and was very happy with the battery life.

With the Note 3, I could leave the GPS, wifi and everything else enabled. I can run widgets, etc...I was so happy with the phone that I vowed never to go back to Apple. After all, I love the flexibility and custom options of the phones.

Now its time to upgrade again and would like to get closer to a Pure Android experience. Will the battery life on the Moto X be about the same as the battery life on the S3? I do not want to relive that experience.

Thanks
Hello yeah the moto x is a slow charger and slow battery decay but there are other phone options if you dont mind
That are the blu life 8, blu life pure xl , blu vivo IV and the xiaomi m3 (it comes rooted) and all have better performance than the s3 , s4 and htc m8 check them out.

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I was nervous on the battery life going in. I want something I don't have to charge mid day or worry about. I am almost 2 weeks in with it and have made it all day, every day with a little to spare. I am a moderate user. But even on heavier days I have yet to kill it before bed. They say Android L will improve the life a little more.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I was nervous on the battery life going in. I want something I don't have to charge mid day or worry about. I am almost 2 weeks in with it and have made it all day, every day with a little to spare. I am a moderate user. But even on heavier days I have yet to kill it before bed. They say Android L will improve the life a little more.

What would you say your average screen on time is per day? I'm hoping to get at least 3hrs screen on time and a whole day of standby with Google Now, Location, Moto assist, WiFi and blue tooth turned on. You think that's possible based on your experience so far?

Posted via the Android Central App

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am using everything you listed but bluetooth. I haven't turned anything off except the auto updating. There is a thread on here where people are posting screen shots of their battery usage and screen time. I couldn't tell you the actual number on mine, but I can try and screen shot it tonight.

geecka

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak to the Note, but I previously had an SG3. My battery life was terrible. I was lucky to make it through the workday; I often didn't and would have to plug the phone into my PC.

I had significantly better battery life with the OG Moto X and so far, I've been making it all day without needing to recharge. I think I had about 20% left at bed time on the worst day.

I just paired my Power Pack Micro and it warns that if you plan to use the lost phone/lost keys feature you will burn a little battery life. I think I'll be okay with that because I've made it through my normal day with battery to spare. And I have a battery handy.

My husband says the battery isn't as good as his iPhone 4S, but it's good enough. That makes sense - comparatively, the iPhone screen is tiny.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
OP: I came to a 2013 Moto X from a GS3. The 2013 seems to have similar battery life to the 2014 so with that in mind it will be better than the GS3. It gets me through the day fine (that's usually with about 2-2.5h of screen time on relatively low brightness, everything on except GPS, and usually about 15h off the charger) and even though someone in this thread mentioned that the Moto X is a slow charger it charges much quicker than the GS3 and plugging it in with the provided Moto charger for 30 min would get you quite a bit of juice (30-40%) and to get you through the rest of the day should you need it.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I find myself having to monitor the battery much more with this phone than I do with others. I don't want to have to turn things off and on, or monitor my usage to make it through the day.

I'm looking forward to the Droid Turbo coming out in a couple weeks. I'd wait for that. If you are not with Verizon, a variant is said to be coming to other carriers.

dhc8guru

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
It can't be possible that an iPhone (any of them) has better battery life than most other phones in the market. I owned an iPhone 4 and would need to be charged 3/4 if the way into a day and I was a light user. If Apple sent one of its battery drain updates, it was toast by mid morning. My wife has a new 5s and it won't make it till early evening. I got her a charging pack to carry so she could charge the phone anytime.
Samsung didn't run those commercials poking fun at all those iPhone users huddled around charging stations juicing up there iPhone's because they have great battery life.

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
What would you say your average screen on time is per day? I'm hoping to get at least 3hrs screen on time and a whole day of standby with Google Now, Location, Moto assist, WiFi and blue tooth turned on. You think that's possible based on your experience so far?

Moderate use today. Downloaded a couple apps, Facebook off and on, a few pics, texts, and calls, reading news, emails, etc.

Attachments

• 1413351187478.jpg
    1413351187478.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 1413351202516.jpg
    1413351202516.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 84

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Moderate use today. Downloaded a couple apps, Facebook off and on, a few pics, texts, and calls, reading news, emails, etc.

That battery life looks pretty good. I just looked at mine last night. It was off charger for 14 hours and the screen time was 15% and the battery level was down to 14%

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

You will early get 3 hrs screen on time with everything on

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It can't be possible that an iPhone (any of them) has better battery life than most other phones in the market. I owned an iPhone 4 and would need to be charged 3/4 if the way into a day and I was a light user. If Apple sent one of its battery drain updates, it was toast by mid morning. My wife has a new 5s and it won't make it till early evening. I got her a charging pack to carry so she could charge the phone anytime.
Samsung didn't run those commercials poking fun at all those iPhone users huddled around charging stations juicing up there iPhone's because they have great battery life.

I have to agree since I work with a large group of people who have iPhones - from the 4 to the 6. The 6 seems to be doing a bit better than the others, but none of them get better battery life than I do with either the 2013 Moto X or the 2014 version.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My husband says the battery isn't as good as his iPhone 4S, but it's good enough. That makes sense - comparatively, the iPhone screen is tiny.

My wife has the 4S and battery life is something she does NOT rave about. She plugs in midday, everyday.

geecka

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
He never had to charge his iPhone. The Moto X lasts through the day (his days are 13+ hours) but he has had to charge in the car on the way home...

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I had the same concerns. I've had my Moto X (Verizon) phone 2 days now and I'm very impressed by the great battery life. Today I have used screen for 3hrs (auto brightness in a very bright room) and I've still got 50% battery remaining. This is with EVERY and I do mean EVERY feature turned on. Pretty similar experience yesterday as well.

If it keeps this kind of battery life up over a full day of standby in weak 4GLTE signal area then I just might have to consider keeping this phone instead of getting the Droid Turbo. I like pretty much everything about my custom designed Moto X and the very limited amount of bloat-ware for a Verizon phone is quite amazing.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I found another setting that seems to help signal and battery life quite a bit. I have the Verizon Moto X and it was shipped with the Mobile Network defaulted to "Global". This can be changed under: Settings>More>Mobile Networks>Preferred Network Type>LTE/CDMA

After making this change I've noticed a stronger signal reception and enhanced battery life. Will let you know if this is true long term.

Sent from Uranus

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the battery life is like the 2013 X. Decent not great. I can go all day on light to moderate use but I do try to find a charger for an hour if I'm going have a later night. If battery life is more important than customization and you want near stock, I'd recommend the Droid turbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci