Moto X 2014 Got My Turbo Charger Today (Oct. 15)

arrowsun

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
So I ordered the turbo charger when I ordered my phone from the Moto site in late September (Verizon). I received and email from Motorola yesterday that my charger had shipped, with an estimated delivery date of Oct. 21. Much to my surprise, my charger arrived this morning (Oct 15).

I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it. Conventional wisdom is that fast charging batteries reduces their capacity to hold a charge over time. Any thoughts on this?

Turbo charger.jpg

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Got My Turbo Charger Today (Oct. 15)

I'm jealous! It seems like I ordered mine ages ago, and I just got the email today that it shipped. I'm dying to try it out.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I can only assume it would be bad for the battery? If I bought one I wouldn't use it every day. Probably only in those circumstances once or twice a month where I need more juice and didn't plan ahead.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I read some more and I found it doesn't harm? Wasn't specific to qualcomms tech though, so not totally sure.

slh7d

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

I got an email that they are going to overnight ship my charger so I have it on the 17th (was suppose to be delivered by the 15th, today)

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

I heard it will come standard with the Droid Turbo, so I'm guessing that it shouldn't harm the battery if it would be the only charger coming with the phone. Then again, Droid Turbo is supposedly be packing a beastly 3900 mah battery.

dhc8guru

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

On a stock phone using Motorola spec'd batteries, it won't degrade the battery life. Where this whole fast charge thing gets dangerous is when you start trying to charge a phone that has a battery not capable of a taking a fast charge.
A standard Lithium polymer battery can be charged a 1C or 1 X its capacity over 1 hour. A 3900 Mah can be charged at 3.9 amps. Most wall chargers and portables will charge at 1 amp. In the case of the Nexus 6 battery, it will fully charge from dead in just under 4 hours. Not very fast at all but the battery is being charged at a rate well within its safe limits. Now lets say you have a standard 500 mah Lipo battery that is being charged at one amp. Pretty good chance its going to catch on fire or at minimum damaged.
Lets say a typical phone battery last 12 hours. In the case of the Nexus battery, it was consume 325 mah per hour. So in 8 hours, it will have consumed 2600 mah. Now going by what Qualcomm claims is in 15 minutes it can charge your phone with 8 hours of capacity. Which means to get my battery 2600 mah in 15 minutes, it would need to charge the phone at 10.4 amps!
A micro USB connector that most cell phones charge through have limitations. From what I have read, USB 3.0 can take 2.0 amps safely. So the way I see it, regardless of the charging technology, 2.0 amps is the limit.
So how does Qualcomm achieve these fast charging rates? A 3900 Mah battery still requires 3.9 amps to charge in one hour. Do these new phones have a special micro USB port capable of taking on more then 2 amps? I really want to know how this all works. I'm no Electrical Engineer but I do have a decent understanding of batteries and charging but there seems to be something missing from the equation other then a special phone, and special charger.

tygerman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Most present day lipos can handle 2c charging (the lawyers recommend 1c). Many can handle up to 5c charging. The moto x battery should be able to take 4.6 amps. So a 50% charge in roughly 15 minutes makes sense.

Posted via the Android Central App

tygerman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Just found on Qualcomm's site, 3 amps and 60 watts for 2.0 tech Charger.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The normal charger charges a lot faster than my old M7! So I may not have to get the turbo charger. Might pass on it for my needs.

dhc8guru

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I think it is very cool the Qualcomm has developed this. I can see the 3 amp limit. Probably did a mod to the micro USB port. Wonder if the turbo charger has the smarts to drop the amps down on a non QC 2.0 phones...must be able too, otherwise we may see some phones possibly flame.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I think it is very cool the Qualcomm has developed this. I can see the 3 amp limit. Probably did a mod to the micro USB port. Wonder if the turbo charger has the smarts to drop the amps down on a non QC 2.0 phones...must be able too, otherwise we may see some phones possibly flame.

On Moto's website it says does it does drop it if need be. (For unsupported devices and so on.)

phatboy29m

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and grab the turbo charger. The X charges significantly slower than my S5 and this is bothering me for some reason.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I finally got mine today, and even though this phone doesn't take long to charge with the regular charger, it is kind of fun to watch it charge super fast. Neat!

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Do you have to use the MOTO TURBO CHARGER, or can we find something on Amazon with similar specs that work? If so, what would that be?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Do you have to use the MOTO TURBO CHARGER, or can we find something on Amazon with similar specs that work? If so, what would that be?

No you do not have to use the Turbo Charger. A charger is always included with the phone itself, but if you want an extra charger, you can always get one directly from Moto or other vendors (including Amazon if you prefer). Just do a search on Amazon, and you will see the Motorola USB Wall Charger with Micro USB Data Cable pop up for $7.49.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

For me the normal charge times have worked great. The battery seems to charge up pretty quick. Like if I got gone from work. Plugged in. Showered and got ready to go out for an evening I would be more than fine.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

No you do not have to use the Turbo Charger. A charger is always included with the phone itself, but if you want an extra charger, you can always get one directly from Moto or other vendors (including Amazon if you prefer). Just do a search on Amazon, and you will see the Motorola USB Wall Charger with Micro USB Data Cable pop up for $7.49.
I know any charger will work but what has the 2.0 fast charge capability? There are a gazillion in amazon and I want to get the right one. Thx.

Siendorf

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and grab the turbo charger. The X charges significantly slower than my S5 and this is bothering me for some reason.

How do you feel leaving the s5. I to am about to leave s5 just waiting for x to arrive.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa