Moto X 2014 Pure Edition on Contract for AT&T

JSB544

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at getting the new Moto X on contract from AT&T (cheaper than getting the Nexus 5 right now). My question is, if I get it from Motorola directly and do a contract upgrade with AT&T, will I get the pure edition (or do I have to pay the full price to get that?), or will I get the AT&T bloatware version? Motorola didn't seem to be able to answer my question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Pure Edition on Contract for AT&T

You'll get the AT&T version if you do any contract option. You need to pay full price for the pure version.

You could always renew your contract, get a subsidized phone that will sell quickly on swappa, then buy the pure edition for full price.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

If you want to use Moto Maker then just go there, make your phone and they can use the AT&T upgrade. If you try to do it in the store then 16GB is all you can get.

You should look at your plans though to be sure you aren’t paying more than the cost of the phone. If you are on a family plan with over 10 GB of data then you will overpay going with a contract. If you are under 10 GB then you are coming out ahead.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

If you buy a full price version through MotoMaker, at one point in the full price purchase process you are presented are three selections - pure (which states with operate on AT&T and T-Mobile), AT&T, or VZW. When you select pure, it indicates a T-Mobile SIM card installed. However if you really want a pure model this is your choice. You will need to get a AT&T SIM to swap into the phone. The AT&T and VZW selections get you a unlocked phone with the respective carrier software installed. This my understanding of the choices as it was explained to me. But I would confirm with someone else before you part with $500. Since I am on VZW, I might have gotten it wrong.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I thought ordering an unlocked 32 gb Pure edition meant no carrier bloatware. I guess I'll find out when it gets here. If it has carrier bloatware I'll probably send it back :(

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I thought ordering an unlocked 32 gb Pure edition meant no carrier bloatware. I guess I'll find out when it gets here. If it has carrier bloatware I'll probably send it back :(

The Pure Edition has NO carrier bloatware.

***EDIT: The Pure Edition works on AT&T or T-Mobile. This will not work VZW.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

The Pure Edition has NO carrier bloatware.

***EDIT: The Pure Edition works on AT&T or T-Mobile. This will not work VZW.

I selected the unlocked AT&T Pure edition. So from what you say I should be ok. :)

JSB544

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Who does the software updates for the AT&T version? Does Motorola or Google do it, or is AT&T gonna be pushing those out? I really don't want to have to wait for AT&T to decide they finally want to push out an update.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Who does the software updates for the AT&T version? Does Motorola or Google do it, or is AT&T gonna be pushing those out? I really don't want to have to wait for AT&T to decide they finally want to push out an update.

The Pure Edition is not branded by anyone, and does not contain any bloat from any carrier... Pure Edition gets their updates directly from Motorola. If you buy a AT&T version, it has AT&T bloat apps, and all updates have to go through AT&T... same goes for VZW.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

The Pure Edition is not branded by anyone, and does not contain any bloat from any carrier... Pure Edition gets their updates directly from Motorola. If you buy a AT&T version, it has AT&T bloat apps, and all updates have to go through AT&T... same goes for VZW.

What he said. I wish I had gotten the Pure Edition but have the AT&T one instead. I have disabled all of their junk, which is easy enough to do, but still - now I have to wait on AT&T for Lollipop. Bummer.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I got my 32 GB unlocked AT&T Moto X today. I'm a bit bummed. It does have a few AT&T apps and the logo on the back. :(

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

The pure edition is the "gsm unlocked" option during checkout. If you select AT&T or Verizon you will get the carrier-bloated version.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 71

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I got my 32 GB unlocked AT&T Moto X today. I'm a bit bummed. It does have a few AT&T apps and the logo on the back. :(

That's the one I got. I knew I was not getting the Pure Edition, though, and just figured I would disable the AT&T bloatware like I did with my 2013 Moto X. What I had forgotten was how much bloatware AT&T adds (I think I disabled about 14 apps or so), so I made a mental note to get the Pure Edition next time. I could have returned mine, but once I had it in my hands I didn't want to let it go.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I ended up keeping it. I love it. I'm still trying to figure out all the neat features it has :)