Moto X 2014 Does Moto Voice disable "Ok Google" hotword detection?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Still figuring this phone out as I'm new to the Android ecosystem. Ok Google doesn't work on my phone anymore (not even in safe mode). I am wondering if this is because Moto Voice has been set up?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does Moto Voice disable "Ok Google" hotword detection?

Tangentially yes, it doesn't work on the device at all, regardless of the presence of or state of Moto Voice. It can still be accessed via the moto voice hotword (obviously), but it is frustrating because it requires a new search each time - and that means it isn't chaining searches together.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Tangentially yes, it doesn't work on the device at all, regardless of the presence of or state of Moto Voice. It can still be accessed via the moto voice hotword (obviously), but it is frustrating because it requires a new search each time - and that means it isn't chaining searches together.

Wait so you mean to tell me that "OK Google" is simply not available on the Moto X? That any touchless voice control is all initiated through Moto Voice?

I thought I could use "Ok Google" if I was on the home screen. I'm pretty certain I've triggered it before, but it's so inconsistent.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Wait so you mean to tell me that "OK Google" is simply not available on the Moto X? That any touchless voice control is all initiated through Moto Voice?

I thought I could use "Ok Google" if I was on the home screen. I'm pretty certain I've triggered it before, but it's so inconsistent.

What does it do in Google Now settings when you go to Voice and check From any screen?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The next screen after checking this fails on the Verizon version...

23827d7b0c84d17b86fc3308008dbea0.jpg

XT1096NiT Fury. AndroidCentral Moderator

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

What does it do in Google Now settings when you go to Voice and check From any screen?

Well initially it asked me to consent to enable audio history (i.e. all my voice searches will be recorded and stored) ... I said yes, and it moved on to a screen that wanted me to train the OK Google model ... However, anytime I tried saying "Ok Google" it just didn't pick up anything, it was as if I wasn't even saying anything.

Edit: If it matters I have a pure edition version.

zenitram_27

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Had the same thing happen to me. I disabled moto voice and OK Google started working. It seems it's either one or the other

Posted via the Android Central App

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Moto Voice dumps all requests that aren't relevant to it into Google Search. You don't need OK Google to whe active...

tomnoir

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Had the same thing happen to me. I disabled moto voice and OK Google started working. It seems it's either one or the other

This also happened to me. It's frustrating because I like being able to turn on the phone with a voice command (Moto Voice) but if the phone is on already OK Google is quicker.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah thanks for all the replies guys. I've confirmed now that it's one or the other. Really wished moto voice would get rid of that "opening Google" nonsense. Slows things down considerably.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
It is because OK Google works on Google wear and with the phones that Google makes. If you have a 360 and a Moto X it's kinda nice to have the trained input on the phone. So both devices don't react when performing a voice command. If the 360 were to open first it would override the phone and vice versa. If you want you can train it to open to OK Google. Its up to you.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense. Wondering if there will be a better integration in future updates. Seems disjointed as is. The Moto Voice stuff is nice and all but would like them to operate seamlessly together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463