Moto X 2014 I've returned it...

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Two things that were a buzz kill for me.

1. Battery life
2. Camera

The phone itself is awesome. Build quality was great. Screen is beautiful. I consider myself a heavy user, so 6 hours before battery was drained was unacceptable. I need a bigger battery. And pictures, don't get me started. In some instances I had to take three just to get the perfect one.

Anyone here have experience in returning their phone to Motorola? Was it quick and without incident?

Posted via the Android Central App

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: I've returned it...

Sorry to hear about your battery. I'm getting 5-6 hr screen on time over a 16 hr day. Maybe your battery was defective?

The camera does leave something to be desired however. But for my needs, camera definitely isn't top priority.

I returned a 13 motox, quick refund without incident,

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Interested in hearing more about this one. I have not received mine yet but almost cancelled it twice. Last night was real close. Mine was over lack of accessories and the hassle of dealing with Motorola and Big Red

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

This has been a 4ish hour SOT phone for me. Only once has it not gotten me through a day, and some app had GPS stuck on the in that instance. What were you doing to drain it in 6 hours? Lol

The camera is pretty meh, but the ability it take decent cell phone pictures is there. It is just not as [language] proof as other smartphone cams.

Sent from my XT1096

Last edited by a moderator:

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Interested in hearing more about this one. I have not received mine yet but almost cancelled it twice. Last night was real close. Mine was over lack of accessories and the hassle of dealing with Motorola and Big Red

That's another thing. It is so hard to find cases for this phone... The illumishield screen protectors fit it perfect though. But cases are so hard to come by..

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

This has been a 4ish hour SOT phone for me. Only once has it not gotten me through a day, and some app had GPS stuck on the in that instance. What were you doing to drain it in 6 hours? Lol

The camera is pretty meh, but the ability it take decent cell phone pictures is there. It is just not as [language] proof as other smartphone cams.

Sent from my XT1096

A bunch of things... I am the kind of guy that cannot go to the toilet without his phone.

I've decided on the Note 4. I figured waiting and getting the nexus 6 would just be like giving the moto x steroids. I have a feeling that the camera on the nexus 6 won't be that good as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

A bunch of things... I am the kind of guy that cannot go to the toilet without his phone.

I've decided on the Note 4. I figured waiting and getting the nexus 6 would just be like giving the moto x steroids. I have a feeling that the camera on the nexus 6 won't be that good as well...

Yeah, the X is not designed for that kind of use IMO. Have fun with the Note 4. I'm curious how that phone will do for you. My battery life on my new X has been about the same as my OG X. The battery is better on the new X as compared to the old. Though my wife's G3 has a way better camera still. Signal quality has improved quite well. Sorry you had to return, good luck with the Note 4.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

You want a device that has a great camera? Go over to the other side and purchase an Apple IPhone.

You want accessories up the wahhzoo? Go purchase an iPhone.

You want want decent battery life? Any phone/manufacturer will do.

You want a phone that pushes the technology envelope? Go buy an android based phone.

It'll always be a give and take. I have both moto Xs and is more than pleased with the phone thus far. Works great. Super fast.

But I do agree, accessories are limited. I just wanted a simple clear case... And there were only 4 or 5 to choose from...

Placed an order for a cheap Evecase. Let's see how that goes when it shows up..

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

You want a device that has a great camera? Go over to the other side and purchase an Apple IPhone.

You want accessories up the wahhzoo? Go purchase an iPhone.

You want want decent battery life? Any phone/manufacturer will do.

You want a phone that pushes the technology envelope? Go buy an android based phone.

It'll always be a give and take. I have both moto Xs and is more than pleased with the phone thus far. Works great. Super fast.

But I do agree, accessories are limited. I just wanted a simple clear case... And there were only 4 or 5 to choose from...

Placed an order for a cheap Evecase. Let's see how that goes when it shows up..

IPhone? No thanks... I love the freedom of an android...

I've had the S5. Camera rocked. Samsung phones have great accessorie support as well.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

I bought the nwe moto x and took it back because I was getting 1Hour on screen time and 10 hours off the charger and it was dead.
I now have a 2nd one and I can barely squeeze 2 hours on screen time out of it.
Here is the ONLY way I can make the battery work. I charge it at night when I get home. I take it off charger and use it as alarm clock.
Over night, with all apps closed, It uses 30%. So I charge it again in the morning and get it back to 100%.
By the end of the work day I am usually down to 30% with 2 hours or Less On screen time.

Camera, for me, it works great, BUT, it does take some work sometimes to get a good photo. It's like it doesn't know where to focus sometimes.
Overall, its a good camera if you have patients with it. I can see it being frustrating for some.

Tomorrow is day 14... I Can take it back if I want. I LOVE this phone tho. Its crazy fast, Chrome scrolls buttery smooth, the screen is oversaturated and beautiful, the Feel in the hand is absolute perfection with its sleek metal frame and gently curved back, nom nom, nom.

I had considered going Note 4 or back to iPhone 6 but I am SO bored with iOS, and the Note 4 is a Massive device.
From there, there aren't many choices. ( devices that I actually LIKE, that is) ... hmm decisions, decisions...

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I have been getting great battery life now thats its over a week old! Almost 2! I been tethering and using it on the road as well. No complaints for me...However I'm smart enough to understand that no device is for everyone! Hope you find what your looking for in another device. For me it beats out my M7 and then some for me.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Question, is the camera on par, or even better than the original X? If so, then it's more than satisfactory for me. I don't know what people are taking pictures of sometimes...are they to be hung in a gallery? Every picture I take with my X is just fine. Every. Single. One. Every. Single. Time. Maybe some people received bum cameras in theirs. Or, maybe they just need to see every pixel of the plate of food they just took a picture of to post on Facebook.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

My battery life is good, I get average 4 hours screen on time, but I don't use it heavily. With that said I found a local buyer for my Moto X 2014 and just bought a used Moto X 2013 for $165.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Two things that were a buzz kill for me.

1. Battery life
2. Camera

The phone itself is awesome. Build quality was great. Screen is beautiful. I consider myself a heavy user, so 6 hours before battery was drained was unacceptable. I need a bigger battery. And pictures, don't get me started. In some instances I had to take three just to get the perfect one.

Anyone here have experience in returning their phone to Motorola? Was it quick and without incident?

I also returned mine for the same reasons (especially with DROID Turbo right around the corner). I shipped via the pre-paid FedEx label on Tuesday 10/21 and will update you once I get the refund. When I talked to Moto customer care they estimate 5-7 days tops. Then again, they've had my money since 9/30 (phone finally shipped on 10/17) so I'm not counting on their timelines.

Sent from Uranus

Last edited:

alcantarvf

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Question, is the camera on par, or even better than the original X? If so, then it's more than satisfactory for me. I don't know what people are taking pictures of sometimes...are they to be hung in a gallery? Every picture I take with my X is just fine. Every. Single. One. Every. Single. Time. Maybe some people received bum cameras in theirs. Or, maybe they just need to see every pixel of the plate of food they just took a picture of to post on Facebook.

Lol... I honestly take pictures of family which I then print or order to be printed out to hang on walls... So yes, I do need a good camera...

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Question, is the camera on par, or even better than the original X?

The camera is better than the OG X. Battery is the same if not a little better so far. I've also seen an improvement in signal and the screen appears nicer too. Build quality is excellent.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Firedogee,

I decided to keep it. It really is a fantastic device over all. I read last night that samsung still hasn't fixed the Wi-fi dropping issues with ALL samsung phones even years after having my first samsung. So, since Samsung can't fix its broken OS, my Only other choice was iPhone 6.
iOS is great, I use an iMac and the way iPhone and Macs talk to each other is great, but iOS just bores me to death with static icons that I can't even arrange how I want due to auto arrange....

So, I am keeping the Moto X. I am happy with it, even with the battery not being great. I have made it thru every day for 14 days and I don't even own a car charger.
As far as the camera goes, when I DO get that shot I want to keep, its fricken perfect. This camera CAN take some great shots.

Last edited:

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I've been seriously considering returning it because of the battery life, for example, today around 2pm it was already on 28% (took off charger at 7). I guess I am a power user as I'm always on my phone reading or texting someone. It seems to be just about the same as my OG X but like others, I can't bring myself to return it. I love the premium in-hand feel, screen, size, twist to open and voice actions too much. The phone is almost like a work of art to me.

I'm always near a charger in my car, work, home, friends houses and I have the Micro Power Pack if I'm ever in an emergency situation so I think I'll be okay. I was thinking about the Turbo but I don't think it looks near as nice and the nexus is just way too big for me so the X is the best alternative.

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X (2nd. Gen)

Attachments

• 3314.jpg
    3314.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 3315.jpg
    3315.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 132

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm not going to use a case on my wood backed phone while at home or out in my free time. When at work though, I'll have tough case. I own a roofing co. I don't think this phone should have a case personally if you can help it. Hey what do you care though, you sent your back buddy :) reconsidering aren't you?? Hehe