First day with the Moto X

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Pulled the Moto X off the charger at 1:00. Had about 30 downloads to do with my software applications. While all that was going on, I was trying to set up my device.
Spent about 45 minutes streaming music to my Bluetooth headset.
Spent about another 60 minutes streaming an audio podcast in my car.
Checked my twitter feed and facebook.
Set up my Nova Launcher and started to configure the settings.
Got home and saw that the battery was at 60%. Then tried to run it down by playing Youtube videos at almost full volume for 30 minutes.

Finally gave up when the battery was at 37% and put it on the charger for the night.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is one thing to say about Moto batteries, they are well built and tough to run down. How are you liking it so far?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear buddy. I hope you keep enjoying yours. I just got mine on Sunday and so far so good. I'm mainly impressed on how well the phone feels. The signal quality is very good. Camera is better than the OG X and the screen is a nice upgrade as well. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this phone. Keep us updated on that battery usage. You are definitely a heavier user than I am.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I came from the Note 3. The screen is smaller. There are somethings that I like about the device like the gestures and such. I liked the size to hold in my hand. Its easier to use than the Note 3. I noticed that some of the features that I liked about the Note 3 that are not in the Moto X.

Initially, when I upgraded the device, Verizon kind of messed up so that made me a little apprehensive over the 14 day return policy. So, I was tempted to call Motorola to find out how I was going to return the device but then after informing Verizon of that decision I have some more time to evaluate the device.

The interesting part, is that the device is not all that smaller than my Note 3. The screen feels smaller though.

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Search the play store for "moto" and make sure your moto apps are updated. Mine didn't appear in my list and my moto voice was freezing my phone until I updated the app. Works perfect now.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear buddy. I hope you keep enjoying yours. I just got mine on Sunday and so far so good. I'm mainly impressed on how well the phone feels. The signal quality is very good. Camera is better than the OG X and the screen is a nice upgrade as well. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this phone. Keep us updated on that battery usage. You are definitely a heavier user than I am.

As of now, the only thing that I might do, is to change out the colors. I got a royal blue back, gold and white front. When I saw the white front at the store, it was not all that attractive. Now that I have it with the gold trim and the hula bumper, it really pops. So, the only thing that I might change would be a wooden back. Since I live in California, I have up to 30 days to decide.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Search the play store for "moto" and make sure your moto apps are updated. Mine didn't appear in my list and my moto voice was freezing my phone until I updated the app. Works perfect now.

Thanks for the tip. I just checked and had to update 5 of them manually, I would not have found them unless you suggested it.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I just checked and had to update 5 of them manually, I would not have found them unless you suggested it.

Tip: If your phone suddenly starts exclaiming "Opening Google" when you use Moto Voice (and this bothers you), uninstall that update for now. Lots of people complaining about it, but some don't seem to mind.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
From my googling it appears to be 14 days for Verizon, even in California. That's also what the VZW website says while I'm logged in recognizing my location. From what I saw, CA law is 30 days ONLY IF the company doesn't have any specified policy.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
My cognac/black/metallic gray arrived today and the leather in the upper left corner is not flush with the metal frame. It's not loose from the back, but the edge sits above the metal lip and will catch on anything that rubs against it. Just handling it out of the box, rubbing my finger on it a few times and it looks like this:

2014-10-24 12.53.16.jpg

I'm planning on using a Hula bumper which will probably cover this blemish, but I really shouldn't accept it. Guess the only thing to be decided is whether it's going back for replacement or refund. Going to use it for a bit and then decide. Sigh...

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My cognac/black/metallic gray arrived today and the leather in the upper left corner is not flush with the metal frame. It's not loose from the back, but the edge sits above the metal lip and will catch on anything that rubs against it. Just handling it out of the box, rubbing my finger on it a few times and it looks like this:

View attachment 143294

I'm planning on using a Hula bumper which will probably cover this blemish, but I really shouldn't accept it. Guess the only thing to be decided is whether it's going back for replacement or refund. Going to use it for a bit and then decide. Sigh...

That sucks man! I would contact them at least and see what they do even if you are going to cover it up. I would find it unacceptable. Does make me happy I went with the standard black, even if doesn't add personality to the phone.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 143294

I would call them back. They will send you out one and then you can send your other one back. Its going to be a phone you will have for awhile so, since you already spotted the blemish that will probably be noticeable each time you see it.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I would call them back. They will send you out one and then you can send your other one back. Its going to be a phone you will have for awhile so, since you already spotted the blemish that will probably be noticeable each time you see it.

That's what I'll do if I'm going to keep it. Going to use it for about a week or so and then decide whether to replace or return it.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'll do if I'm going to keep it. Going to use it for about a week or so and then decide whether to replace or return it.

Let me know how yours is going and I will do the same. Today's battery was a little concerning. I am running Nova Launcher today so, now I am starting to wonder, if I run a Launcher, does it really matter what device I get and whether I get a Pure Android experience? After all, when I run a launcher on every phone, I am masking what is underneath.

lsulaker

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Remind yourself of this thread when your launcher can't fix the inevitable android lag that happens on skinned android devices after a year.

Last edited:

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
The early, early report isn't too bad. Phone's been active for 5:30hrs with 2:45hrs screen time all wifi, no LTE, mostly doing updates, setup, a few phone calls, Moto assisted texts, playing with the new toy etc. and I still have 63% battery left. Half of the screen time was at factory default before I set it to Auto - screen noticeably dimmed on Auto. I'm using Google Now launcher and everything's smooth and fast. Moto apps seem to work, including the insipid "Opening Google." I'm liking it so far.