Getting the Moto X for $1?

Mason Wright

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Ive been a long time windows phone supporter who has finally decided to jump ship. I decided to get the Moto x as it provides the best bang for the buck IMO. I need to purchase the phone through at&t directly as I am on a business account. I'll be buying two Moto x phones when I resign so all prices are essentially doubled for me.

I am seeing the phone for $1 at Verizon and Best Buy. Any one have any luck getting at&t to match these same prices or know of an upcoming sale? Again I have to go through at&t and they are the only ones with the Moto x designer cards.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
You sure that's the new (2014) version? Not last years model?

I have a Verizon business account. There are some places that will upgrade business accounts. I know Costco will for Verizon.

Mason Wright

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
The price at At&t for the 2014 Moto x is $100. However Verzion is selling the exact same phone (along with best buy as an at&t retailer) for $1. I can attach screenshots when I get home from work. My question though is if anyone knows how to successfully get at&t to match these prices or if a price drop is coming. $200 vs $2 is a big difference.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I see the $1 deal on Best Buy’s website and it is strange. $1 for wither the 2013 or 2014 Moto X but $99 for a Moto G.
Even if it is not a mistake on Best Buy’s website AT&T will not match it. You can try but I would do it today because chances are it will not be there tomorrow.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Good luck. You'll most likely have better odds if you've been with ATT for a long time. Also, in this case I'd call rather than go to a store.

Mason Wright

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was odd but then Verizon has the same price. Amazon has theirs at $50. I just don't want to pay $99 if at&t would match or if they have a deal coming up. I was hoping someone who works at at&t retail might be able to give some advice.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
After googling for a few minutes it sounds like no, they will likely not price match anyone, but it may be worth asking at a few different stores because you may find a manager that allows it. I think that would be the exception though, so don't anticipate it.

What about ATT Next? As long as you don't exercise the option of turning the phone back in, its a far better deal than a standard contract. Since they've now quantified that it costs $25 a month for a smartphone on contract (because when the contract end or you BYOD the line price drops by $25/month), we know that 2 years of paying on a subsidized device is worth $600 ($25 extra per month x 24 months). Then add the up-front retail cost of the device ($100 for Moto X) and you end up paying $700 for the Moto X. With Next they just take the cost of the phone and split it evenly across 2 years. Since the Moto X retails for $500, that's what you pay over the corse of two years - $500, that's it. A 2-year contract will only save you money if the phone's retail price is more than $600+up-front cost. Also, Next has no upgade or activation fee. Even if you got them to price match for .99 you'll still pay more over 2 years than if you did Next.

If Next is an option for you, I strongly encourage you to look into it. Once you iron out all the terms of each option you quickly realize that a 2-year contract is a much worse deal compared to Next's pricing... Just don't turn your phone in at 12 or 18 months with Next's "early upgrade", which is the equivalent of taking your phone and throwing it in the garbage. Carry the phone until it's paid off and then resell it, just as you would with a regular contract.

Let me know if you have any question. Good luck!