Moto X 2014 Peeling wood backs and my options now...

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks,

I had an Ebony wood back, 32gig white front pure edition. However the lower right and side was peeling up some. Moto has given me a code to reorder my device. (2 months later!) So the question is would you think it would be better to go with the plastics back instead for the longer term? Has anyone reordered the wood back and had no peel now? I was wondering what others have done with their replacements if you even bothered!

Thanks!

anon(2345131)

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Peeling wood backs and my options now...

I went walnut to bamboo. I should be getting the replacement soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Try leather? Seem to be very few complaints about the leather and plenty of love for it. Don't recall anyone saying they regret getting the leather. Only downside I can see is affect on resale value if it's been "seasoned." Wood never appealed to me, but preference aside, based on many complaints already, I'd be concerned about wood making it 2+ years without peeling. Good luck whatever you do.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Try leather? Seem to be very few complaints about the leather and plenty of love for it. Don't recall anyone saying they regret getting the leather. Only downside I can see is affect on resale value if it's been "seasoned." Wood never appealed to me, but preference aside, based on many complaints already, I'd be concerned about wood making it 2+ years without peeling. Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks for the great reply! However Leather just doesn't do it for me. If anything I'm leaning toward th plastic type of backing over the wood. Only because i can't tell if Moto has made any changes with the construction of the wood backs. Otherwise I love my Moto X! Just not sure what route to take. I guess I will wait to see what others did then go with my gut feeling! Wood looked pretty awesome though.

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

My first Moto X was just like yours, white front, dark gray trim and ebony back. Loved it, till it started peeling on the upper right corner. Switched it out for a cognac leather back, all is good now, and it actually looks and feels better than the wood. But if you want to stick with wood, try bamboo. It's grass but it has been holding up well for my fiancee.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

+1 on the cognac leather. Beautiful look and feel. I miss mine already.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys! I ended up going with a 32 gig Pure Edition of course with the following setup...

Front: Black (Had white and loved it! but black looks better in this setup)
Back: Slate (Over the Ebony wood backing)
Trim: Yellow (Over the gray this time)

I sorta when with a Boston Bruins look! Gray was in the middle of the black and white...Could not decide! Anyways I hope it turns out to be a nice look setup in person! I liked it online.

Thanks!

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks guys! I ended up going with a 32 gig Pure Edition of course with the following setup...

Front: Black (Had white and loved it! but black looks better in this setup)
Back: Slate (Over the Ebony wood backing)
Trim: Yellow (Over the gray this time)

I sorta when with a Boston Bruins look! Gray was in the middle of the black and white...Could not decide! Anyways I hope it turns out to be a nice look setup in person! I liked it online.

Thanks!

Pics of the back, please!

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

I'd be curious to see the peeling back. Mine is starting to do that and I might Motorola about it. Mine is maybe lifted about half a millimeter in one corner. The whole corner isn't loose so you can't see under the back but it's enough that it is noticeable and you push it down and see it slowly release.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I'd be curious to see the peeling back. Mine is starting to do that and I might Motorola about it. Mine is maybe lifted about half a millimeter in one corner. The whole corner isn't loose so you can't see under the back but it's enough that it is noticeable and you push it down and see it slowly release.

That is the same issue I had! I'd return it. When I get home I can post some photos.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Sadly I noticed my bamboo back doing this very thing in the lower right corner, not more than half a mm. It's not noticeable unless I pass my finger over it and am thinking about it, but if I push down on the corner it's obvious it's lifting up. So far I've ignored it, but looking just now I noticed the lower left corner is also just starting to pop up. Sigh. At this point it's a warranty issue so I could wait a bit, but on the other hand maybe I should do it now before any holiday sales rush causes delays (and the problem gets worse).

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Sadly I noticed my bamboo back doing this very thing in the lower right corner, not more than half a mm. It's not noticeable unless I pass my finger over it and am thinking about it, but if I push down on the corner it's obvious it's lifting up. So far I've ignored it, but looking just now I noticed the lower left corner is also just starting to pop up. Sigh. At this point it's a warranty issue so I could wait a bit, but on the other hand maybe I should do it now before any holiday sales rush causes delays (and the problem gets worse).

Mine was warranty too. They just gave me a code to order a new phone with. They held $110.39 on a CC and thats it. So its just like ordering a new one. I changed the config to a plastic backing during this time. Took them forever to get me the code though. I say its worth it! Its sad because I love the wood look. I guess Moto just is not ready for wood phones.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

If I do the warranty route I might try leather. I really liked the wood back and am disappointed it doesn't appear to be working out.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

If I do the warranty route I might try leather. I really liked the wood back and am disappointed it doesn't appear to be working out.

Agreed 100%! I love my Ebony wood but its just not working out like I would have hoped. In any case I will enjoy the plastic for now. I hear it feels good still in the hand! Excited for the new device again. :D Christmas 2.0!

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm curious though why Moto is having this issue, since this is the second generation with wood backs. You'd have thought they would have worked the kinks out with the 2013 Moto X. It's a shame since those wood backs are really gorgeous.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The slate backing has zero lift thus far. Build quality is still great and its a soft touch backing. For me that means less slippery! I will miss the wood backing. Otherwise the phone seems the same. Software and all so far are good.

I post photos in the design your own thread but I will repost a few here in case you wanna see it.

IMG_20141111_083031510.jpgIMG_20141111_083040934.jpgIMG_20141111_083054841.jpgIMG_20141111_083116116.jpg

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

The slate backing has zero lift thus far. Build quality is still great and its a soft touch backing. For me that means less slippery! I will miss the wood backing. Otherwise the phone seems the same. Software and all so far are good.

I post photos in the design your own thread but I will repost a few here in case you wanna see it.

View attachment 147715View attachment 147716View attachment 147717View attachment 147718

Just curious why you didn't go leather? Nice phone BTW.

SchillerM

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like going through Moto is preferred over Verizon? Or does it depend on where I got the phone?
My bamboo back has had a small lift since day 1. I wanted to do a custom order but business site for VZW had black or white/bamboo, no custom option. Hoping I can go that route now.
For those with the regular or leather backs, is the phone as slippery as with the wood back? Mine slides right out of my pocket when in my car (bucket style seats). Wondering if the leather adds some tack to help it stay put?

Thanks all
Matt

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

I bought the white bamboo from verizon and loved it. Then i noticed it was starting to peel on the lower left corner and side. I looked at some of the demos that had wood backs in the stores and the peeling was pretty significant on those ones, so i wanted to avoid another wood back. So i took it back to verizon and showed them, the guy told me there was nothing wrong with the phone and charged me a $35 restocking fee. I was pretty pissed off but paid it anyway and got the football leather instead.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888