Lower IR sensors for reaching for your phone

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else had an issue where the phone screen doesn't activate as it did when you first got the phone?

I showed coworkers this when I got the phone but now after the sensor firmware update and moto updates it seems to have stopped working as it was. The wave over the phone still works.

This is the screen shot of the setting.
1878fa37cb653e3c3a13752fdbee7d88.jpg

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine used to work..... Showed coworkers the day I got the phone but after all the updates is has stopped.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just tested mine several times after reading this thread and mine are still working.My hand is usually a couple inches above the phone when I am reaching for it..I do have a screen protector on as well.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Did you get the sensor update that updates the firmware? I have attache the name of the file that I think is the one that did the firmware update.
a7b404918b141781a62bec716db30d5b.jpg

By uninstalling this reverts the firmware but sensors still will not detect motion as designed. Not sure what the issues is.

Guess I will update everything again.

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having the problem either. Its a great feature, I would definitely notice if they weren't behaving!

Posted via the Android Central App

Gordon D Miller

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
The sensors are actually working. I can still see them light up. They just don't turn on the screen as they are supposed to. The upper sensors still work normally.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine seem to be working fine too.

Try unchecking, clear cache, then recheck it?
Have done this. Just doesn't work as it did before the updates.

I will get another camera to look to see of the lower IR ports are even working.

0101adm

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
i am experiencing the same thing.

when i first got the phone, bottom sensors worked AND i could wave my hand to silence the alarm and calls.

now, only the top sensors work. and the practice app for the hand waving cannot pick up my hand movements.

anyone know whats going on?

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I think the bottom ones detect a distance of around 9 inches, the top ones much closer.
That's how mine seems to work anyway.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you by chance have a tempered glass screen protector on your phone? I tried three different kinds and gave up finding one that fit properly so am doing without at the moment, but I definitely noticed the sensors were not working well at all when I did have the protector on. It was a side effect I found particularly annoying since I use the wave to activate feature a lot. The bottom sensors were especially affected. Once I removed the protector the sensors worked perfectly again. I only tried tempered glass so don't know if this phenomenon happens with any screen protector or just the glass types but it was definitely a problem with all three brands of tempered glass protectors I tried.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
In order for the bottom sensors to work, your hand needs to be a few inches above the phone. The top sensors will detect your hand at any height.

useepat

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, for the Lower IR sensors, your hand has to be above the phone, around 6" inches (according to Moto), i think.

-- edited

I stand corrected. I covered the top sensors and try to get the sensor to respond...no luck..what's up with that????

Last edited:

calkno

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed since the update that in a dark room the bottom two sensors glow red when I reach for the phone. This typically isn't seen unless through a camera...

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
You are correct, for the Lower IR sensors, your hand has to be above the phone, around 6" inches (according to Moto), i think.

-- edited

I stand corrected. I covered the top sensors and try to get the sensor to respond...no luck..what's up with that????

From the way I understand it, the bottom two things are not sensors, but rather emitters. The sensor is at the top, so the bottom sensors need the top ones to function correctly. If you leave the top uncovered but hover your hand about 6 inches from the BOTTOM sensors, it'll work. People have been freaking out about the bottom emitters for no reason. Also, the top of the phone has the Proximity Sensor. Covering that up makes your phone think it's face down or in your pocket.

Don't worry, everything is working as intended.