Encryption and lag.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Have the Pure X and set it up as encrypted. Took an hour or so. Did this after the Lollipop update of course. Seems to lag if ever so slightly from wake. Not a problem for me. Rather have the extra security. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same. Again its almost unnoticeable to me but it feels like its there.

Posted via the Android Central App

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
When you encrypt the phone do you have to put a password in at boot? I thought Lollipop was supposed to be encrypted by default.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I am encrypted, but don't notice any lag at all.

For me what I notice is if I am in an app for a while like AC or even the browser and hit the recent apps button or home button, its like a 1/2 second delay before the switch happens. Once I am moving through screens and apps, its snappy again. Again barely noticeable.

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Moto X 2013 here, my 2014 is coming in tomorrow.

I enabled encryption on my X2013 a few weeks ago, and I'm running ART on the last KitKat (4.4.4) so everything I'm doing is as close to Lollipop as possible without having Lollipop.

ART makes the executables larger, which plays directly against good performance in an encrypted environment where you have to read those executables at app startup. Once an app is started up, it runs faster.

So I'm seeing exactly what I would expect. When I start a relatively large app, there can be a delay of a half-second or so, then it runs nice and quick. If an app is already in memory and I'm task-switching to it, it's instant. If the app has been paged out of RAM, I get the delay again. Running many very large apps certainly means they page out more often, and I see lag. Running fewer large apps means they tend to stay in RAM, and I see buttery smoothness.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
When you encrypt the phone do you have to put a password in at boot? I thought Lollipop was supposed to be encrypted by default.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
Only encrypted by default on newly released handsets that ship with Lollipop. Upgrades to Lollipop don't encrypt unencrypted phones.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Android 5.0 phones will be encrypted by default but those that updated will have to manually encrypt.

Encryption takes a heavy toll on read/write speeds of your phone's storage, which is why I haven't turned it on my Nexus 5.

The impact on speed is so huge is that an unencrypted Nexus 5 has faster read/write speeds than an encrypted Nexus 6.

I hope there is some fix for this coming soon, because I won't be encrypting till then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX