What's going on with the battery life here?

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
So, I got my 2014 X about a week ago and I love everything (Moto's tweaks, the stock feel, etc) except the battery life. I knew going in that it wouldn't be stellar, but the life I'm getting is kinda ridiculous. Today, I got 11 hours with less than an hour (53 min) SOT. That was at 35 percent. I just don't understand why it's this low? I'm in a high (4-5 bar) signal area most of the day, basically no apps are allowed to do much in the background, and most of the radios running aren't active. Is my battery potentially defective or is this the norm? Am I valid to be concerned or overreacting?Screenshot_2014-11-17-17-41-36.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-17-41-33.jpg

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
cell standby using same battery as the screen being on for an hour doesn't look right. I had mine Saturday and am amazed at the battery, charged it twice getting over 24 hours with 5+ hours sot. it still shows 35% how long has it been on charger? I found 20% down seems to last forever.
I came from a Nexus 4 and I always got 24 hours from that, but I live in the City.
is it showing 4g?
Are you on Kitkat?
I find https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id27.wallpapers.hd.patterns.bw&token=0n8rCaqM saves a load of screen battery use.
I also noticed the battery stats don't seem true, if I play Candy Crush on Nexus 4 it shows Candy Crush (or any game) to overtake the screen, on Moto 40 minutes only showed 1%?

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... that seems really bad. Are you sure your signal is OK? If you zoom in on the chart, would be interesting to see if the signal bar is all green. I have really bad reception at work, and my battery drains like crazy - same as you, about 10 hours with ~1 hr of SOT. When I am not at work I get like 2.5-3 hrs of SOT in addition to about the same time on standby. I am testing it this week with various radios on/off, trying to see if I can eek out more life. Make sure you have Google Now off, and keep Location in battery saving or device only mode.

Also, maybe this was a one-off issue for me, but the Weather Channel app for me was constantly polling GPS (even when the app was not on), which caused the Google Play Services process to eat a ton of battery. Took a day of re-configuring my phone to figure that out, ugh.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I've got a huge battery problem too.

Take a look at this screen shot. I haven't turned the phone's screen on in hours but it's "awake" almost constantly!

What's up with that?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 11927.jpg
    11927.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 127

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Take a look at this screen shot. I haven't turned the phone's screen on in hours but it's "awake" almost constantly!

What's up with that?

We'd need to see the zoomed out screen of the battery stats to discern any possible issues here.

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... that seems really bad. Are you sure your signal is OK? If you zoom in on the chart, would be interesting to see if the signal bar is all green. I have really bad reception at work, and my battery drains like crazy - same as you, about 10 hours with ~1 hr of SOT. When I am not at work I get like 2.5-3 hrs of SOT in addition to about the same time on standby. I am testing it this week with various radios on/off, trying to see if I can eek out more life. Make sure you have Google Now off, and keep Location in battery saving or device only mode.

Also, maybe this was a one-off issue for me, but the Weather Channel app for me was constantly polling GPS (even when the app was not on), which caused the Google Play Services process to eat a ton of battery. Took a day of re-configuring my phone to figure that out, ugh.

I no longer have the stats for yesterday, but I recall the signal bar was mostly green. I can pull my stats for today, which should be similar.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

What's up with that?

Are you using motos ambient mode or Lollipops?

ISiddiqui

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my battery stats are just like netstars22 and my phone has the awake stats as Stang68. I have already switched to ART and last night disabled Google's Location Reporting - hopefully that helps. But I've never gotten the battery that some of the folks here have mentioned. Been wondering if I should factory reset and see if that does it. Or if mine and netstars22 is the normal and the folks who get insane battery life are the outliers.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I said earlier I always got 24 hours out of my Nexus 4. I did have to reboot it (never worked out why, it did same after factory reset with no apps) every 48 hours without fail. if I ever forgot to, on the third or forth day I would lose about 6/7 hours and yet nothing unusual in the stats?
I had it almost 16 months, and I think it did this from day 1.
My point:
Have you rebooted lately if you are running Kitkat.

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Here are my stats for today, 5 hours in. 57% and 20 mins SOT. It's always awake for some reason and neither BBS nor Gsam can pinpoint with it.

Attachments

• 1088.jpg
    1088.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 1089.jpg
    1089.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 1087.jpg
    1087.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 96

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine looks similar today. I have a bit more screen time but yeah the standby time seems to be pretty bad. Even after switching to 3G signal (which is much better strength where I am).

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Here are my stats for today, 5 hours in. 57% and 20 mins SOT. It's always awake for some reason and neither BBS nor Gsam can pinpoint with it.

Hope this helps some, here are my stats for comparison:

* Battery currently at 69%
* 5+ hrs on
* 5+ hrs Bluetooth (Moto 360,seen in last screenshot)
* 1 hr SOT
* 1+ hrs is wifi
* cell signal between bad to ok
* sync on for all 6 email accounts
* whatsapp, hangouts
* Google Now on
* screen brightness part auto, part lowest
* avg drain 5.7%/hr

A reboot can definitely help stop a wakelock that's stuck (keeps phone aggressively awake when screen off)

Screenshots:

Attachments

• 7501.jpg
    7501.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 7502.jpg
    7502.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 7504.jpg
    7504.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 7503.jpg
    7503.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 7505.jpg
    7505.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 82

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
That's very good, Green! Thanks for sharing - will get GSam installed tonight and try to compare my stats to yours.

sure, thank you!
with GSAM, keep in mind, it will need to be some time on your phone. Notice at the last image I attached, at the very bottom, it says "Since Oct 25" (when I installed the app)
Also, for those who aren't sure, GSAM will not give anyone better battery, it will only show stats, and it's up to us to evaluate and decide what to do (remove a certain app, etc)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My stats are pretty similar to Green_Laser's. If you have better cell signal but worse battery life, I definitely second his advice on rebooting. Sometimes that's all you need to shake things back to normal.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I've rebooted the phone several times, it doesn't seem to make a big difference on my end. Someone advised I remove Facebook as it's one of the worst battery drainers. I also removed several other unnecessary apps - will see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Check the sync settings for you google account in Settings > Accounts and uncheck syncing of any google services you don't use. By default I think they're all on.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Someone advised I remove Facebook as it's one of the worst battery drainers.

For the record, I don't have FB app installed. Used to use it and on pc, and stopped about 2 years now (account still active just don't use it despite I have lots of friends and family on it- but we're all on whatsapp which I use). Google+ on the other hand is installed and syncing (though I don't use it as much).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs