Moto X durability?

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
The soft touch should feel very nice compared to all plastic phones out there. It has a very nice and relatively grippy texture. Hope it gets to you sooner than 3 months :eek:

No, no.. What will take 3 months to arrive here is the Hula Case I am chasing. Since it will ship from US it should be quicker but no less than 2 months. It doesnt matter right now because they're sold out on Case Mate's website - and they're the only ones besides random Ebay sellers that offers international shipping.

I have seen personally the soft touch model and it really feels great! I fell in love with the bamboo design but the soft touch feeling is awesome. There is nothing like it in the others flagships.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly how I feel, every single word.

I ended up deciding on the black soft touch version - not because its safer but because I read on the other thread about the peeling on the wood back. If you guys think Motorola customer service is bad at the US/Europe, I wish you never experience it here in Brazil because it is awful.

If I get too picky on the dark aluminium scratches I will just order a bumper from case-mate and that's it. Of course it will take like 3 months to arrive here but, oh well...

Thanks everyone for your words and thoughts! Great community indeed.

Congrats on buying your new moto x. Hope you enjoy it. I love my 1st Gen, however I must admit I'm a bit jealous. The new model is so sexy looking. The only thing that has prevented me from purchasing the new model is I don't know if I want the Nexus 6 or not.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the hula bumper which provides some grip and allows the bamboo back to be seen at all times. It also provides some protection from drops. It's a good compromise.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I own the moto x with a bamboo back. So far no stains (I've had on day one on it sale from Verizon). However, I haven't dropped it into a puddle yet. I can't imagine them selling the phone without the wood being treated to protect against staining and water damage.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
There's a warning leaflet in the leather backed ones, it just states "as with any leather product moisture can stain"
I guess they would put the same warning on the wood if it was applicable?

dkny2kx

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So I got a new bamboo back moto x 2014. And it feels different. It feels more matte and less wood treated ie. Slippery. Hopefully its water resistant treated so I don't get water damage if water touches the bamboo. Ugh

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Damn I keep changing my mind from time to time. The bamboo one looks hot as f*ck! I just hope it doesn't "peel" like the comments I have heard :/

dkny2kx

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a clue of what that means... Do you have any pics?

Peel meaning you can see underneath the wood. Lift means the backing appears to lift or raise from where's its glued down exposing some of the wood edge panel. I'll get picks soon

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Peel meaning you can see underneath the wood. Lift means the backing appears to lift or raise from where's its glued down exposing some of the wood edge panel. I'll get picks soon

Thank you for the explanation! I hope it is not that annoying because I really fell for the bamboo model :/

dkny2kx

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dweww9_RF2E

this video shows the underneath and hows custom backs are glued onto the phone. i believe the reason why the wood backs are lifting is because the glue is not applied all over. you can see in the video there are just organized patches of where the adhesive is placed. if my wood back peels a lot i'll just shove some glue in there and press down. it looks like the metal components are not directly underneath anyways to cause damage.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
this video shows the underneath and hows custom backs are glued onto the phone. i believe the reason why the wood backs are lifting is because the glue is not applied all over. you can see in the video there are just organized patches of where the adhesive is placed. if my wood back peels a lot i'll just shove some glue in there and press down. it looks like the metal components are not directly underneath anyways to cause damage.

Ugh that looks awful... But I believe it looks bad because of the leather scraps? I don't think the wood version would get that ugly.

If it is a glue issue, wouldn't the soft touch version have the same problem?