I can't get my Moto X into recovery so I can wipe cache.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Here are correct instructions for booting to recovery when on Lollipop. I dug out the change in step 5 from another thread, I believe was the PE Lollipop update one...not sure who to give the credit to, but either way here it is.

1. With the phone powered off,*press*the*VOL*DOWN KEY*for 2-3 seconds then*POWER*key then release.

2. The device will display*different BOOT*OPTIONS

3. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to SCROLL to*Recovery*and*VOL UPKey to select

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have*waited to long to make a selection, you*will need to begin the process again.*

4. The device will display*the*Motorola logo and then*the*Android in distress*( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold thePOWERkey for 2-3 seconds.*While still holding*thePOWERkey*tap and release theVOL UPkey

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 6, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear inBLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to wipe cache partition*and thePOWER*Key to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
(Edit: to avoid confusion. Motorola changed the method to wipe the cache partition. For phones updated to Lollipop, Harrison steps in the previous post are the correct ones. The next instructions still work just for kitkat).

These are Motorola instructions. Landscape orientation in step 5 can make a difference.

1. With the phone powered off,*press*the*VOL*DOWN KEY*for 2-3 seconds then*POWER*key then release.

2. The device will display*different BOOT*OPTIONS

3. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to SCROLL to*Recovery*and*VOL UPKey to select

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have*waited to long to make a selection, you*will need to begin the process again.*

4. The device will display*the*Motorola logo and then*the*Android in distress*( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the*VOL UP*key for*10-15 seconds.*While still holding*the*VOL UP*key*tap and release the*POWER*key

Tip: You can*try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are*stuck on step 6, try a*force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear inBLUE)*

7. Use the*VOL DOWN*Key to scroll to wipe cache partition*and thePOWER*Key to select*this*option

8.*The device will then perform*the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yup. But they are wrong!!!!

Step 5 has the buttons reversed, and the seconds are way off. Hold down power, for like 2-3, then press and release vol up.

I found that digging in a thread after I posted my thread.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I updated to lollipop. I wanted to wipe cache partition after the update. Couldn't do it with moto's instructions. They are definitely incorrect.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe harrisondisc's instructions should be a sticky? I've copied them for safekeeping, but as soon as Lollipop rolls out to the rest of us, others are going to be looking for this info too.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So just to make it clear (because I kept trying the first set of instructions and failing), the SECOND set of instructions (Javier's) work on my AT&T Moto X 2014 running KitKat. The first set (from harrisondisc) does not. So apparently the "road to recovery" changed with the bootloader that comes with Lollipop.

Maybe I'm being Captain Obvious, or Private Dunce, but I read the thread originally that Motorola's instructions were wrong for all models and firmwares of the Moto X 2014.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm being Captain Obvious, or Private Dunce, but I read the thread originally that Motorola's instructions were wrong for all models and firmwares of the Moto X 2014.

:) No, you're not, don't worry.

Harrison edited completely his original post when he discovered the right process and some later posts became a little out of place.

As you said, there's just a little difference to do the same after lollipop. With kitkat Motorola's instructions still work.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So just to make it clear (because I kept trying the first set of instructions and failing), the SECOND set of instructions (Javier's) work on my AT&T Moto X 2014 running KitKat. The first set (from harrisondisc) does not. So apparently the "road to recovery" changed with the bootloader that comes with Lollipop.

Sorry bout that. I tried to make the first post the one you only need to read by editing it, but I guess I didn't even realize the part about being on L happens later in the thread.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry bout that. I tried to make the first post the one you only need to read by editing it, but I guess I didn't even realize the part about being on L happens later in the thread.

No need to apologize. It's great that the information is out there, and thanks for researching it. I just confuse easily, and figure others might, too. :)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The thread post (post #1) is correct for Lollipop
Post (#2) is correct for Kit Kat

just in case people who view this thread in the future get confused over which method to use. :)

Sent from my XT1096

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Can't get this to work for anything, 2014 Moto X PE on 5.0, step 5 never works, tried everything, this is crazy that getting into recovery is this difficult. Did the steps exactly as posted, nothing just the android guy on his back. If you hold the power button to long the phone turns off. Messed with this for 2 hours, I give up. P.S. I'm definitely not new to working in Android /Google software systems. This is crazy for such a simple thing.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can't get this to work for anything, 2014 Moto X PE on 5.0, step 5 never works, tried everything, this is crazy that getting into recovery is this difficult. Did the steps exactly as posted, nothing just the android guy on his back. If you hold the power button to long the phone turns off. Messed with this for 2 hours, I give up. P.S. I'm definitely not new to working in Android /Google software systems. This is crazy for such a simple thing.

Its has been about 2 months since I had my Moto X 2014 turned on and it did take me a few times before I got it to work as well.But I finally did after 3 attempts. I was guessing I was out of practice with these steps .I just wanted to post like I said I did get it to work though after about 15 minutes and 3 tries :) I thought it was kinda odd to .

Edit: To add When I get to step #5 I press the power button a second or 2 then the Volume lever Up.
I release the "Volume Up" a second before releasing the Power button.
It works everytime for me that way .
Hope it helps

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital