Frustrated with Broken Screen on Moto X

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
1. Durability. A 1 foot drop today saw a complete shattering of the upper part of the screen and several large cracks across the rest of the screen. Not a scratch on the Tempered Glass covering (so glad I made that purchase now). Not impressed at all with the durability of the Moto X. Dropped my LG G2 a number of times from the same distance and nothing but exterior scratches.

2. Battery. Before the Lollipop update, the battery life was passable. Since the update (and a factory data reset), I am down to battery life extending 7-8 hours with 2 hours of screen time. This just isn't acceptable for my usage.

Outside of these two complaints, I have actually LOVED this phone. It is beautiful and runs butter smooth. The hands-free and Moto display are exactly what I need throughout the day.

So here's my dilemma ... just get a replacement ordered from Asurion and stay with the Moto X or pick up a Droid Turbo during the Black Friday deals tomorrow. I am currently still with Unlimited Data on Verizon and bought the X off of Craigslist for $400. Suggestions? Trying to figure out the best course of action. Thanks everyone.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to my screen. I ordered a replacement.. Not happy about it.

I also agree lollipop has made the battery a lot worse.

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
With the Turbo you will surely get better battery life but I sincerely doubt the screen is any more durable than the one on the X.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to my screen. I ordered a replacement.. Not happy about it.

I also agree lollipop has made the battery a lot worse.

The X is such a beautiful phone that you don't want to put it in a case. The problem is is that it really is a fragile phone. I didn't want to put a case on it because it ruins the beauty of it. Now I'm thinking of going to the Turbo since I won't mind putting an Otterbox or something around it.

With the Turbo you will surely get better battery life but I sincerely doubt the screen is any more durable than the one on the X.

Like above ... I don't mind casing up the Turbo because it isn't a beautiful, unique phone. Just sucks that Moto didn't think of revamping the battery in the X. Lollipop has sucked the life out of my X :(

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Of course you do get the one Free screen replacement so you'd have that going for you.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I know. I seriously don't know what the happy medium is here.
My Asurion replacement is coming on Monday and, naturally, they only had the Moto X in black. YAY! (Sense the sarcasm?)
I'm going to call Verizon in the morning and see what kind of deal they could work for me. I'm thinking of selling the Moto X replacement I get on Craigslist and see what they could do with me giving up my Unlimited Data. I have two ideas ... #1) Droid Turbo for $0 ($100 off + $100 off for using Mom's old LG Revolution) or #2) LG G3 w/Free LG G Pad 8.3 for $99. Both are based off signing a 2 year contract and losing my unlimited. Thoughts?

INCREMENTAL

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My Asurion replacement is coming on Monday and, naturally, they only had the Moto X in black. YAY! (Sense the sarcasm?)
I'm going to call Verizon in the morning and see what kind of deal they could work for me. I'm thinking of selling the Moto X replacement I get on Craigslist and see what they could do with me giving up my Unlimited Data. I have two ideas ... #1) Droid Turbo for $0 ($100 off + $100 off for using Mom's old LG Revolution) or #2) LG G3 w/Free LG G Pad 8.3 for $99. Both are based off signing a 2 year contract and losing my unlimited. Thoughts?

I have the Droid Turbo, bought it off Craigslist and got a good deal on it, its the 64gb. I love the phone but if ur like me there's no phone worth your unlimited data, that's just my 2 cents.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Isn't Motorola having a Black Friday sale on the Moto X for something like $130 off? If you want to keep your unlimited data, sell the lame black replacement (and that's bull, btw, they should replace it in kind if it was a Moto Maker order) and buy a new Moto X. If it's not updated to Lollipop, just delay updating until they work out the battery bugs.

As for the durability of the phone, what are you doing that you've dropped your phone several times in the past year? If you don't want to put a case on it, be more mindful of where your phone is at all times and how you're holding it. Screens are glass, and if they hit at an unlucky angle they will break. If you feel the screen is more delicate, then treat the phone more carefully.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

If you can't pony up the cost the buy it off contract don't. And don't even think that signing a new line that you won't use to a 2 year contract and moving the phone over to unlimited is a sound financial plan. That's just giving Verizon your money. Save up the dough and buy it outright or don't buy it at all.

Just my thoughts.

Benji stark-elster

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Exact same situation here. I had a warranty so they are fixing it for free. I will definitely get a tempered glass screen protector and a decent case. The weird thing is that other gorilla glass 3 NEVER have these durability problems. My naked m8 has survived 4 foot drops on cement.

Posted with the HTC one m8

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Exact same situation here. I had a warranty so they are fixing it for free. I will definitely get a tempered glass screen protector and a decent case. The weird thing is that other gorilla glass 3 NEVER have these durability problems. My naked m8 has survived 4 foot drops on cement.

Posted with the HTC one m8

The tempered glass did absolutely nothing. Since the tempered glass doesn't extend to the edges it cracked the whole screen. Tempered glass doesn't have a scratch.

Did you go to a Verizon store and they fixed the screen?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The tempered glass did absolutely nothing. Since the tempered glass doesn't extend to the edges it cracked the whole screen. Tempered glass doesn't have a scratch.

That's the shame of it too with these newer phones - you just can't find a tempered glass screen protector that protects the edges, so if the phone doesn't happen to land just right the tempered glass isn't going to save your screen. I've been through three kinds, hoping I'll find one I can live with, and they all have gaps at the edges. Like icu said, you do get that free screen replacement with the Turbo. However, if you read the Turbo forum you'll see that some Turbo owners have already used their free screen replacement, which leads me to believe the Turbo screen is just as vulnerable as the Moto X.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Replacement from Asurion coming on Monday. Naturally, the only model they have in stock is black. Purchased two cases today. An Otterbox at Verizon today with my 25% off and the Larcade Bundle case on Amazon (arriving on Sunday). Still annoyed.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but what was you doing that made you drop your phone 12 inches to the ground? Was you laying down? I just can't picture how I would drop a phone that close to the ground. Not questioning that it happened just wondering how.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have dropped my Moto X probably more than any other phone I have ever had and it has withstood everything. I don't have one single mark on this phone whatsoever. As for the battery life, I have seen an increase over the past couple days since the update. I tried the Turbo but came back to my X because i hated the look of the Turbo, the screen was not as bright, and I enjoy the quicker updates of the X. The only real advantage to the Turbo is the battery life. You will notice no difference as far as screen resolution, the camera takes very similar pics to the X and there is no lag on either phone. It all depends if you enjoy design or battery life.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but what was you doing that made you drop your phone 12 inches to the ground? Was you laying down? I just can't picture how I would drop a phone that close to the ground. Not questioning that it happened just wondering how.

Bent over to tie shoe. Phone fell out of my pocket perfectly on the top right edge. I've dropped phones similarly over the years and never had issues. Was beyond upset at what I found when I picked it up.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I have dropped my Moto X probably more than any other phone I have ever had and it has withstood everything. I don't have one single mark on this phone whatsoever. As for the battery life, I have seen an increase over the past couple days since the update. I tried the Turbo but came back to my X because i hated the look of the Turbo, the screen was not as bright, and I enjoy the quicker updates of the X. The only real advantage to the Turbo is the battery life. You will notice no difference as far as screen resolution, the camera takes very similar pics to the X and there is no lag on either phone. It all depends if you enjoy design or battery life.

I agree. I had the Turbo for 10 days before getting an X off of Craigslist for $400. Love the build but ha E ordered two cases that will hide it's beauty now. Arg.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Bent over to tie shoe. Phone fell out of my pocket perfectly on the top right edge. I've dropped phones similarly over the years and never had issues. Was beyond upset at what I found when I picked it up.

Makes sense, I carry my phone in my shirt pocket at work but it's a uniform shirt and has a flap so it's not a open pocket.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think your solution should be a bumper. I use the one on the web site. The X2 is really slippery naked but the bumper fixes this. Your screen protectors might actually make the screen more vulnerable, I dropped my X2 4 feet onto a tile floor w/o problems,but since bumper haven't come close to dropping again.
-

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital