Moto X 2014 WiFi Networks That Aren't There?

Officialxian

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Okay, this is seriously weird. I just got my Moto X 2 days ago. I haven't had any issue other than I think some networks won't leave the WiFi network list. I got really paranoid at first because the same networks (with some weird names) were everywhere I went, stores, work, home. I decided to try to find the networks on other devices (laptop, LG G2) and they're not there. I've never connected to these networks, and they're not under saved networks. They look as if they're actually there with signal and everything. What might cause this, and am I the only one experiencing this?

I was paranoid because these are the WiFi Network names that show up everywhere:
* "FBI_VAN_A4"
* "DDW36537"
* "Windows PowerShell"
* "HawksNest"

The only thing I can think of is that these are networks I've been near since I got the phone, and it's just failing to clear the list? Toggling WiFi doesn't fix it, and refreshing the network list doesn't fix it either. While looking at the networks you can see signal increasing or decreasing, which is odd. TIA

EDIT: I rebooted my phone a moment ago and it fixed it, but does anyone know why it was doing that?

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: WiFi Networks That Aren't There?

From the WiFi screen, touch the 3-dot menu button, then touch 'Advanced' and see if Network notification is checked...I leave mine un-checked.

I have 'Avoid poor connections' checked so that I'm not offered connections without data available.

For Connections you have used in the past and no longer need, touch them and choose 'Forget'.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: WiFi Networks That Aren't There?

The only thing I can think of is that these are networks I've been near since I got the phone, and it's just failing to clear the list?
Yep. Wait until you see TV sets and printers showing up on the list. Or networks with names like 1000111010111010010101.

EDIT: I rebooted my phone a moment ago and it fixed it, but does anyone know why it was doing that?
That seems to be the way Android works - it sometimes just keeps networks around until they fall off the end of the list. It doesn't use battery or CPU, and it uses so little storage that you couldn't stuff the smallest widget into the space you'd save by forgetting 10 of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki