Power Support "Shock-Absorbing" screen protector from Moto website?

ethane

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyone has experience with this?

I wanted something to protect the screen in case I dropped it, but there are too many issues with tempered glass screen protectors not sticking because of the tapered glass, and this seemed like an interesting solution to prevent screen cracks. I'm not sure how much a piece of plastic can cushion the glass though.

Anyone used this screen protector before? Does it feel smooth and non-sticky? Think it can prevent the screen from cracking?

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have this and while it is not glass it feels very nice. Not sticky at all. I did drop my phone and the screen cracked with it on. I emailed the company and they sent me a free one no questions asked.

Posted via the Android Central App

ethane

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I did drop my phone and the screen cracked with it on. I emailed the company and they sent me a free one no questions asked.

That's not very promising... I'm looking more for the drop protection than scratch protection.

Unless you meant they sent you a new phone, of course :D

Did you have a case on, by any chance?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
wife and I both use Power Support Shock Absorbing version on Moto site
not a glass, but not a rubbery film either, very good quality

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have this and while it is not glass it feels very nice. Not sticky at all. I did drop my phone and the screen cracked with it on. I emailed the company and they sent me a free one no questions asked.

Posted via the Android Central App

That was very ambiguous hahah... What did crack, your phone screen or the screen protector film?

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
There are a few on Amazon that is a bit cheaper. I wonder if there is any difference on the cheaper ones compared to the ones on Motorola's website.

rite11ken

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
How good is it in terms of screen clarity compared to Brilliant Screen one or the Non-Glare Film option? Is the shock absorbing power as good as they say it to be?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The harder something is, the more scratch protection it gives. (A diamonf screen protector couldn't be scratched by a tungsten carbide scriber.) But the harder someting is, the more susceptible it is to breakage. (Cutting a diamond takes just a little tap - you'd hardly feel it on your hand - if it's done at the cleavage plane. Because harder means crystalline structure, and crystals are prone to fracture along their fracture planes.)

So if you want a screen protector that won't break, you don't want something hard, you want something soft. (Which is prone to breaking.)

That's the protector itself. Now for the screen. To protect the screen from breaking you want either something so still that it won't transmit shock to the screen - which makes a touch screen useless, because it won't transmit touch to the screen either, or you want something so "cushiony" that it will absorb the shock - but running the screen through transparent felt is also impossible.

So tempered glass - a GOOD tempered glass protector - is one possibility, but it still won't protect the screen if you drop the phone with the screen flat down onto a pointed, sharp, hard stone. (It's tempered glass, not tempered diamond.) Another possibility is a TPU case that protrudes past the screen, and a plain old 3 for $5 plastic protector. I've done it that way for a few years, and never had a scratched screen (although I've replaced a couple of protectors, but at 3 for $5, that's not a big worry). I'm now using an Otterbox Defender.

I still try to never drop the phone. They don't make StarTacs or Nextel i700s any more.

rite11ken

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
The harder something is, the more scratch protection it gives. (A diamonf screen protector couldn't be scratched by a tungsten carbide scriber.) But the harder someting is, the more susceptible it is to breakage. (Cutting a diamond takes just a little tap - you'd hardly feel it on your hand - if it's done at the cleavage plane. Because harder means crystalline structure, and crystals are prone to fracture along their fracture planes.)

So if you want a screen protector that won't break, you don't want something hard, you want something soft. (Which is prone to breaking.)

That's the protector itself. Now for the screen. To protect the screen from breaking you want either something so still that it won't transmit shock to the screen - which makes a touch screen useless, because it won't transmit touch to the screen either, or you want something so "cushiony" that it will absorb the shock - but running the screen through transparent felt is also impossible.

So tempered glass - a GOOD tempered glass protector - is one possibility, but it still won't protect the screen if you drop the phone with the screen flat down onto a pointed, sharp, hard stone. (It's tempered glass, not tempered diamond.) Another possibility is a TPU case that protrudes past the screen, and a plain old 3 for $5 plastic protector. I've done it that way for a few years, and never had a scratched screen (although I've replaced a couple of protectors, but at 3 for $5, that's not a big worry). I'm now using an Otterbox Defender.

I still try to never drop the phone. They don't make StarTacs or Nextel i700s any more.

Forgive me for my lack of understanding but considering the details you have given here, would the Power Support Shock Absorbing film from the Moto website be a good option? I already have a Hula Bumper case for my Moto X but was thinking of adding the screen protector for added protection. Would the Power Support film help in this case or is the Hula Bumper enough for protection?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital