Anyone switch from Galaxy S5 to Moto x 2014?

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am in the UK and have a discount code, I was ready to order one when I read the Android Central 2 month review, seems to be lots of negativity to the battery?

I use mine for up to 3 hours screen time (most days it is more like 2 hours) from 6am until 11pm, will the battery last or am I going to be disappointed?

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I did and with lollipop, the X has not lasted as long on my GS5 did. I still would choose the X over the S5 due to smoothness and feel.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Guys, I am thinking of going for it, I have 14 days to return it!

My wife wants a Oneplus One so would get to compare all three potentially if I can get an invite.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not "switched", but my wife has an S5 and I have an X 2014.

She doesn't use her phone as heavily as I do, so I can't really compare batteries, but overall the two devices are similar. Spec-wise, the S5 wins. Better camera, replaceable battery, SD slot. The real advantage to Moto X is in a purer Android experience, and some of the well-thought-out additions like twist-and-shoot on the camera, notifications, and the quirky things like seasonal startup animations and Spotlight. Oh, and a slightly smaller phone with a slightly larger screen.

I was really torn between the two, and in many ways I still am.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The choice between them depends on your priorities, both really are flagship-level devices.

If one of them is a lot cheaper than the other, it's probably the one to go for.

If the prices work out to about the same, then you just have to decide which things are the most important to you. Physically, the S5 is more "future proofed", since you can swap the battery and add SD memory to at least hold media and photos. Software-wise, the MotoX is going to be more "future proofed", since it will receive Android updates more quickly and for a lot longer (though Samsung replaces a lot of Android features with their own in TouchWiz, so that just depends on whether you like the way Sammy does their enhancements).

My Moto X 2013 has been an excellent phone in all but camera, screen size, and battery life. Camera and battery are average. Screen size was just too small for me. The Moto X 2014 has solved the screen size problem handily, camera has marginal improvements, and battery remains average. But I still love the quirky things that make the Moto X the Moto X.

I almost jumped at a Nexus 6, but decided that was just too big, and too expensive, for my needs. Plus it didn't have all the Moto X goodness on it like proper active notifications, twist-and-shoot, etc.

I still wonder whether I made the right choice. My wife doesn't worry about battery like I do, and I know if battery became a problem in the S5 she could get a spare or even get an extended-life battery. Her camera takes much better pictures in low light. She has an SD slot. All of these things would be useful to me as a heavy phone user.

So I'd say, overall, if you already have an S5 and are happy with it, the Moto X 2014 is probably not something I would call an "upgrade" from it unless you value a purer Android experience or one of the other things that makes the Moto X stand out - and those things are not going to be of value to everyone. In most ways, the Moto X is going to be a "downgrade" from the S5.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that honest opinion, I think you may be right.

I have had my S5 on for 10 hours 20 minutes today with 1 hour 20 minutes screen time so far and the battery is on 74%!

Although I like pure android I hardly see touch wiz as I use Nova launcher.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol