Worth an upgrade from an S4? And, what is Pure Edition

Parafly9

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I have an S4. Wondering how much of an improvement I could expect with an 2014 X. I've been using Nova launcher and am rooted but am ecxcited for a more stock experience + lollipop.

Also, what is the Pure Edition? I didn't see it on the Moto Builder website. It it simply a phone bought from MOtorola directly vs. going into, say, a Verizon store?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I have an S4. Wondering how much of an improvement I could expect with an 2014 X. I've been using Nova launcher and am rooted but am ecxcited for a more stock experience + lollipop.

Also, what is the Pure Edition? I didn't see it on the Moto Builder website. It it simply a phone bought from MOtorola directly vs. going into, say, a Verizon store?

When you buy a cell phone from a carrier, it comes customized for that carrier. They add their logo on the hardware and add software enhancements that tie into their proprietary services. Most refer to those apps as bloatware. The Pure Edition model of the Moto X is one that you can only buy direct from Motorola and has none of those customizations. It is as "pure" as Motorola intended it to be. It will not work on Verizon or Sprint so it is not an option for you if you are on one of them. But it will work natively on AT&T or T-Mobile once you put in an activated nano-SIM card.

The other main difference is the price. If you are buying the device without a contract, the retail price for the Pure Edition is the same as the other models. However, if you are planning to buy from your carrier for a discount, the Pure Edition is not an option for you.

If you are buying it for retail cost and are on AT&T or T-Mobile (assuming you are in the US), then my opinion is that you should go with the Pure Edition. I just bought one for my wife as a replacement for her Moto X 2013 model.

Posted via Android Central App

Parafly9

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, but i purchased the X for Verizon for full price (well, minus the cyber monday discount) through the Moto Maker website. Does this come preloaded with Verizon bloatware?

Parafly9

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, so annoying :)

Anyone have any feedback coming from an S4? I like my S4 but the battery has been horrible and I also feel it has been laggy as s$8

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you one thing you will notice between the 2 is the build quality. The X feels very solid and has a premium feel to it. The S4 feels way to plastic(y) for my taste.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Anyone have any feedback coming from an S4? I like my S4 but the battery has been horrible and I also feel it has been laggy as s$8

You'll definitely get a smoother overall experience with the Moto X. Not only does it have a more powerful processor but it also runs stock Android, which is significantly lighter than TouchWiz. Battery life you should see a slight improvement but nothing groundbreaking.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The Pure Edition is the one marked "T-mobile". Which comes SIM and bootloader unlocked. Wont work on verizon and lacks any carrier wear. Downloading 5.0 as i type on mine...

Volkers84

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I am coming from the s4 to the moto x and am loving it. Its a lot faster, smoother, feels better, and its nice to have bigger screen for videos. Battery use, I get a full days worth regularly compared to needing to charge or swap midday with the s4.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I have a new Moto X 2nd gen as my personal device, and a 9 month old S4 issued by my work. I use both devices side-by-side.

Even though the S4's network has better coverage at work and I don't use it as much as the X, the X still gets better battery. The X is definitely smoother, but the S4 still performs pretty well. For fun I'd load websites side by side to get a comparison. Sometimes they both ran the same as far as scrolling goes. Other times the S4 had some stutter where the X didn't.

If I had to justify moving from an S4 to the X, it would be for these reasons:
-Far better build quality
-I use actvie display and Moto Voice a lot
-Pure edition is bloat free. I'm not into rooting so this is a big plus for me

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I went from an S4 to a Moto X 2013 and liked it wayyyy better. I hated touchwiz and the Samsung build quality, so going from an S4 to a Moto X 2014 is an even better jump.