Moto X (2014) My biggest complaint about 5.0 - the loss of Moto Assist options

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So 5.0 basically hands over 'night time' and 'meeting' settings to 5.0's built in 'interruptions' feature. Besides being horribly worded in the UI (did anyone at Google use Interruptions prior to shipping 5.0?), these settings eliminate one important option: vibrate only.

You cannot configure your phone to enter vibrate mode automatically. Your only options are:

-Absolute silence ** /edit
-Absolute silence **/edit except for "priority" calls/notifications, which then ring at regular volume
-All calls/notifications come through at regular volume

I was very happy with Moto Assist configuring absolute silence at night and then during the day vibrate during my exchange calendar's meetings. Now I'm back to having Moto Assist being silent at night but having to manually handle putting my phone in vibrate mode during the day. That's an annoying step backwards.

Last edited:

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this. I am thinking about going back to using Sound Profile which is a solid app.

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Lollipop yet so I haven't experienced this firsthand, but I would agree. Anything that takes more steps to do than previously is definitely not an improvement.

ru356

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. The limitations are a real step back - or even a couple of steps back. Before KitKat, you had to use the volume button to silence your phone, but doing so always screwed up your volume setting, and the process was annoying (Hit volume button, listen to beeps as it mutes phone: to unmute, use volume button, listen to beeps again, hope you managed to get back yo original volume). I bought an app to allow me to silence the phone w/o messing with the volume.
With KitKat: hit power button, select the icon for muting the phone. Done. elegant. Didn't mess up your volume, either.
With Lollipop? The only option is to screw up your volume without actually being able to get the results you want. I'll have to buy an app...........

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I know this doesn't solve all of the issues with the Lollipop design but if you press the volume button (up or down) and then press the bell icon, it will put the phone into vibrate mode. Tap it again (when it's the square phone with vibration waves) and it will return to the previous volume setting.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I know this doesn't solve all of the issues with the Lollipop design but if you press the volume button (up or down) and then press the bell icon, it will put the phone into vibrate mode. Tap it again (when it's the square phone with vibration waves) and it will return to the previous volume setting.

Well that's handy. Thanks for the tip!

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
That is annoying, or at least will take some getting use to.

I kept the app "Notification Toggle" on my phone that puts a control widget in the pull down. I removed Flashlight, wifi, BT, and others, but kept the Volume toggle to tap (Mute, Vibrate, Sound).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I edited my original post. I have learned that "no interruptions" is just silent mode. The screen still lights up for calls and messages which is fine I guess. I still want vibrate during meetings instead of silence but its not the end of the world.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I edited my original post. I have learned that "no interruptions" is just silent mode. The screen still lights up for calls and messages which is fine I guess. I still want vibrate during meetings instead of silence but its not the end of the world.

Yep, I just saw your post and was going to say that. I'm going to have to look at some settings too cause When I have multiple notifications, I find myself having to unlock my phone twice. If I use the power button to wake up the screen, it brings up the dual unlock as well. Using the Moto Display unlock, it works normally like it did in KK. This is easily one (if only) my only complaint with Lolli so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance