Motorola camera vs google camera

bjbaker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I took some test shots outside.. Both with HDR turned on.. Was a little surprised by the results.

This is from Motorola Camera

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 18746.jpg
    18746.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 297

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
On my 2013 I've also noticed the Google camera to take a better exposed picture. Although it depends on the metering I guess. If I'm taking my time with a photo I'll use the Google app usually.

Posted via Android Central App

bjbaker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I like the google app pic better.. Brings out some detail in the darker parts that motos app didn't. I did a few quick edits with the pic from the moto camera..using google photos app. And came out really good.

Attachments

• 18794.jpg
    18794.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 261

bjbaker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I like the pic from the google app better.
I have on my moto x 2013 used the google app for panoramas, I like how it works better then the moto app. I still like the moto app for the quick access and full screen shutter.. But nice results from the Google app with HDR. I took the pic from the moto app and used google photos to edit.. Came out nice.. Similar results..

Attachments

• 18794.jpg
    18794.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 277

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I do like to edit in photos. I'm debating going completely over to it instead of using the gallery but I like the organization in the gallery better.

It was removed on my nexus 7 when 5.0 hit. Is the gallery still on the 14x with 5.0?

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
On my 2013 I've also noticed the Google camera to take a better exposed picture. Although it depends on the metering I guess.
And the photographer. If you don't know where your app is metering, you can't get the exposure you want. (Is it center metering, weighted [and if so, how], etc.) The better you learn the app, the better the exposure you'll get - with any camera.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes. That's why I use the touch focus and exposure. I do wish the stock app had more advanced features like choosing metering mode. Supposedly 5.0 supports RAW in using a DNG file and manual control. Will have to wait on further development on this as time goes on.

bjbaker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I moved over to using the photos app, because of the editing. When I updated, my photos app was still there.

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X camera is not all that bad but not the greatest. The main feature it's missing is the OIS (Optical Image Stablization).

bjbaker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah overall the camera isn't bad. Would be nice to have the lg g3 camera in this phone.. But oh well lol.. The OIS would have been a great feature on this phone.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
This camera really does make some great outdoor pictures. However, indoor leaves much to be desired. It's not a deal breaker for me but when I do take indoor pics I usually not too fond of the results.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My Moto X hasn't arrived yet, but based on what I have seen around the forums, I am thinking that I am going to be using the Moto camera app for quick shots (that twist thing looks sweet), but using either Google Camera or another camera app for shots I have more time to take.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same exact thing with mine. Darker areas turned out so much better with the Google camera, even in dimly lit indoor shots.
I will say that I am disappointed with decently lit indoor shots overall, I know it isn't a DSLR but I found a lot of shots unusable for anything other than quick sharing. I couldn't print them due to the amount of noise. I know it sounds picky, but a 13MP camera should be able to take decent pics in brightly lit rooms.

But take away indoor camera issues and the X is absolutely amazing.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Had a focusing issue today. I started the camera via gesture like I usually do and it did this. I could not get it to focus until I closed the app and by then I lost my shot. I was rather bummed out but it's the first time this camera has ticked me off. I just wish my wife was off so we could of used her G3. Anyone have this issue?

Attachments

• 1982.jpg
    1982.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 134

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
That is one blurry shot. Is this the first time it has done this? Also are you using Lollipop? I'm hoping that this is an isolated incident. Did you eventually get a good shot? The G3 is known to have a better camera with OIS and laser focus but than again it cost more.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Sample food shot from work. Stock Moto Camera 2nd gen X. Touch to focus on. Pretty good for me. Have been pretty impressed.

Attachments

• 15526.jpg
    15526.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 15513.jpg
    15513.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 15529.jpg
    15529.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 119

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That is one blurry shot. Is this the first time it has done this? Also are you using Lollipop? I'm hoping that this is an isolated incident. Did you eventually get a good shot? The G3 is known to have a better camera with OIS and laser focus but than again it cost more.

Yes, this is the first time it's done it. And yes, I have Lollipop on VZW. I'm not sure if it is a Lollipop issue or for some reason it could have been an error on my end. I just could not get it to focus. I'm one the very few that hasn't complained about the camera as it's been just fine for me. I can even get good shots like booboolala did above. So who knows...

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen on my Nexus 5 and my iPhone 6 Plus. It's rare but sometimes they just won't focus until I restart the camera app. I'd say it's a random fluke until it happens repeatedly.