Working on Sprint??

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but has anyone been able to get the unlocked Moto X 2014 to work on Sprint yet?
I have read that there is a chance that Sprint can add them to their "white list" of IMEIs to allow them to work.
I am just hoping - as this seems to be the best Android phone for me at the moment. (Using an iPhone 6 right now, which I am not too happy about.)
Thanks.

android_app

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you referring to the Pure Edition Moto X ?

According to the specs by Motorola, the Pure Edition is only compatible with ATT and T - Mobile LTE Bands, I believe it does not support CDMA.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, as noted above the device isn't compatible with Sprint. The closest is Verizon's model. But even that is lacking hardware to fully working Sprint. That's even if Sprint reps will activate it on their network, which is highly unlikely.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
While in theory the Republic Wireless Moto X will work on SPRINT as it is an MVNO of SPRINT, I have not read of any actual accounts of anybody attempting to activate on a SPRINT line.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been unable to find any listing of the included radios in the Republic Wireless Moto X 2014, but it is my understanding that Republic add special software to the device which would make it difficult or maybe even impossible to get it working on Sprint.

So, if it has the needed radios (my simple Google search didn't really provide any info) and you could get past the proprietary Republic software and convince Sprint to activate it should work.

Dan

Posted via the Android Central App

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it might be too many hurdles. But this seems to be the best android phone right now. Most of them feel junky, and the HTC one m8 is too long and slippery. Hmmm.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Back in the days of Sprint PCS (when the logo was red) and Sprint sold some really awful phones, a colleague and I would travel overseas for work frequently and he picked up a South Korean CDMA handset (with the right radios for Sprint) which was much cooler than anything Sprint offered at the time.

He purchased knowing full well that he was going to have an uphill battle getting it activated on Sprint. The first battle was reprogramming (a very complicated process back then) the phone to work with Sprint, which took many a weekend to complete.

Then came the hard part getting Sprint to active it on their network and he hit road block after road block. Finally he sent a FedEx to Sprint HQ in Overland Park, KS., signature required to their Vice President of Network Engineering at the time explaining who he was a (PhD. in Astronautical Engineering with a good background in RF), the specs of the handset showing it being capable of working on the Sprint network and what he had done to date to get the phone ready to work on Sprint.

A few days after sending the FedEx, my colleague did get a call from a Network Engineer at Sprint who agreed to help, but made no promises.

To make an already long story shorter, after two weeks working with that Engineer my colleague was able to activate his South Korean handset on Sprint, but it was not easy.

How that translates today, I have no idea, but figured that I would share it for whatever it is worth.

Dan

Posted via the Android Central App

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
If the unlocked version has the Sprint radios (debatable) I was thinking:
1. Change IMEI to one from an old Sprint phone I have lying around.
2. Activate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze