What's grippier? Black back or leather?

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
If I'm hearing correctly, the only color that has a grippy soft-touch is black. My question is: would leather be grippier to handle?

Looks aside, which one would be a better feel in the hands in terms of control and non-slip fear?!

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the Royal Blue back and enjoyed the color and the back did not feel all that slippery. Not sure how the leather would stand up in time especially if you have keys in your pocket

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If it wasn't a verizon exclusive, I'd have gone with the football leather back. A friend has one and it is quite cool. Because I am on TMobile, I went with the matte black.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I think they are very similar. Will you be using a case?
I prefer the leather myself for the texture and looks. What out though, if you are ordering a motomaker version in black, it may be the smooth back. I heard the soft touch back is only on the carrier in-store version. Not positive though. Anyone here with a MM black?

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine is a MM black/black. It is identical to the black back I played with in the local Verizon store, except mine has red trim.

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to exchange what I have now. I don't mind the hard plastic but it's a bit more slippery than I imagined. I used to have the 2013 X soft touch (black) version and liked the feel. I'm trying to go for that again but I can't figure out if leather is a better feel. I plan to use the phone naked. I don't care for cases.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the "black resin" back, and I didn't find it slippery at all. I have nothing to compare it to, but I had to scratch away at a corner of it with a thumbnail just to see if it was plastic (no damage done). It really feels ever-so-slightly rubbery.

In the end, I put a case on it because the phone was too thin for my hands anyway, but the black resin was pretty grippy (it was the aluminum that I found too think and slick for a good secure grip with my big meaty hands, in my case).

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
does it feel pretty grippy when pitted against one of the hard plastics from MM

My feeling was the black back was the grippiest of them all. But the phone is still slippery as the back does not wrap around the edges as it did with the 2013 Moto X. The metal sides of the new one are very slick.

With the old one I would grab the edges when retrieving from a pocket. With the new one i have learned to grab it with thumb on glass and fingers on back (with index finger in dimple).

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. I just pulled the trigger to exchange my hard plastic version for cognac leather with bronze trim: here's hoping I'm happy with my purchase! I'm sure I will be!

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. I just pulled the trigger to exchange my hard plastic version for cognac leather with bronze trim: here's hoping I'm happy with my purchase! I'm sure I will be!

I have the cognac with bronze, it's beautiful. The bronze blends well with the cognac and looks really good with the black front.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the 2013 in black and the 2014 in cognac leather. I'd say the black is slightly more grippy. Just barely though.

Posted via the Android Central App

BluBrett

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
The resin backs are grippier than the leather ones. I had a black resin and now I have a slate back, both are grippier than the leather ones I've touched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae