Moto X (2014) Phone of the Year?

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
According to MKBHD, the phone was his close 2nd for phone of the year. Droid life had 3 of their writers mention it as their phone of the year. The Verge when the phone was released said it was the greatest Android phone ever made. The phone continues to get high praise from people, but if only Motorola marketed this phone enough to get attention of people. What do you think is this the phone of the year?

Posted via the Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The 2014 Moto X is a very good phone, but I wouldn't say it's the phone of the year. I had the phone for <2 weeks and just couldn't live with the poor battery life and mediocre camera. Ended up going back to the G2 for the great battery life, back buttons and dev support.

Sent from my G2 running SlimKat 4.4.4

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The OnePlus One if only because it debuted this year and is an outstanding device for the price. I can definitely see the Moto X though, too, although I'd equate it more with 2013 and it would be vying for the title with the Nexus 5. :)

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
All I know is, after almost a week of ownership, I believe it may be the best smartphone I've ever owned. And I've owned many.

Sent from my Moto X 2nd Gen

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The OnePlus One if only because it debuted this year and is an outstanding device for the price. I can definitely see the Moto X though, too, although I'd equate it more with 2013 and it would be vying for the title with the Nexus 5. :)

The Oneplus is a nice device for a decent price BUT it has zero customer service after the sale and many have serious hardware issues with their unit. Just take a look at the official Oneplus support forums and you will see what I mean.

I think the Moto X (2014) is a contender for top phone but it looses points for the battery and camera. I don't think there is any one phone this year that's #1 as they all have some sort of shortcoming.

• Note 4 = Gorgeous screen, long battery but it has TouchWiz
  • Oneplus = Nice screen, nice price but support is non existent and it has hardware issues
  • iPhone 6 = Great build quality, long battery but only a 750p screen, 1GB of ram and you are stuck with iOS
  • Nexus 6 = Nice screen, average battery life but it's GINORMOUS
  • LG G3 = Great screen and good battery life. Many don't like the buttons on the back (me included) and I found the camera to be average. Not a fan of the LG logo on the front of the device.
  • Moto X (2014) = Premium build, customization of your phone and almost pure Android with a few awesome Moto features. No wireless charging and battery life and camera set it back
These are the phones I've had in 2014. I've not had a Z3 so I can comment on it. I do have a Nexus 5 but left it off the list because it's not a 2014 device. The Nexus 5 is still among one of the better device out there and for it's price it's still hard to beat..

My Cyber Monday Moto X was sent back because of very bad pink tinting on the screen. My replacement should be here next week. Moto customer service was horrible and would not, or did not know, how to give me another code to order. I found another code here to use so I'd also say customer support is another negative when it comes to the Moto X (2014).

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Good luck with your second try on the Moto X. :)

I really liked my 1st one but as I said the pink tinting was bad. Fingers crossed this one is flawless.

I view the Moto X (2014) as the N6's little brother. A smaller, but a more realistic size and slightly lower specs. Same look, same build quality and both get updates lightning fast. The Moto X (2014) also has some killer features that the N6 does not so there is that as well..

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I really liked my 1st one but as I said the pink tinting was bad. Fingers crossed this one is flawless.

I view the Moto X (2014) as the N6's little brother. A smaller, but a more realistic size and slightly lower specs. Same look, same build quality and both get updates lightning fast. The Moto X (2014) also has some killer features that the N6 does not so there is that as well..
I'm actually still wanting a 2013 Moto X. I guess they stopped production on that one? Mainly the size and simpler appearance draws me to it. But I can't afford any new phones now. It's the "one that got away" lol. :D

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much this. The Moto X is definitely on the list of contenders.

I have to agree. There is not a #1 smartphone. They all have some thing that requires a compromise. The 2014 moto x is, for me, the best phone choice, but it may not be for everyone. So far it has been a great upgrade to the 2013 model I had.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually still wanting a 2013 Moto X. I guess they stopped production on that one? Mainly the size and simpler appearance draws me to it. But I can't afford any new phones now. It's the "one that got away" lol. :D

It's one of the reasons I couldn't bear to part with mine after I got my 2014 Moto X. I still remember the "WOW!" feeling when I took it out of the box and turned it on for the first time. I knew what to expect with the 2014, but with that first 2013 Moto X - I had that really special "This is the best phone EVER!" experience. I waited a long time to upgrade my Atrix and what an upgrade it was. I paid full price for my 2014 Moto X, and for me it was worth every penny, but the 2013 one is still a fave.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I love my moto x but It'll be the iphone 6. Only b/c of the leaps and bounds it is a improvement over eariler models and its popularity:cool:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it should be. It is not popular enough to be in any public forum, but it should be. It gives leaps and bounds a better experience than any other phone this year. That is the most important metric.

Sent from my XT1096

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I love my moto x but It'll be the iphone 6. Only b/c of the leaps and bounds it is a improvement over eariler models and its popularity:cool:

I agree with the popularity part of your statement but it's nowhere even close to leaps and bounds better.

Spec wise it's a mid range device.. Except for the A8 chip it's has a 750p screen which is mid to low end specs and it has 1GB RAM which again is mid to low end specs. Apple does a very good job of optimizing the iPhone limited resources..

If it didn't say iPhone on it, it would be considered a mid range device..

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Phone of the year for me was the OPO. The specs, build quality and price were unbeatable. But I had to sell mine to get the Moto X. Easily a tie for first in my opinion. This is a solid phone. Best Motorola to date. And the battery easily gets me through a day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
the leaps and bounds it is a improvement over earlier iphones. Brand loyalty as well since theyve learned iOS and dont want to change anytime soon.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
If it didn't say iPhone on it, it would be considered a mid range device..

If the iPhone was available with Android OS it would definitely lag behind the other contenders here. Good camera, decent battery and large available storage but otherwise lacking.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon