Clarification on activation of Pure Edition on AT&T - New customer from VZW - Is the issue resolved?

Dukie22731

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Clarification on activation of Pure Edition on AT&T - New customer from VZW - Is the issue resolved?

Hello, I ordered a Pure Edition that is arriving on Monday and was wondering if the issue of getting the Pure Edition activated on AT&T for LTE has been resolved yet? I have looked all over the forums to see if AT&T has finally recognized the IMEIs of the Pure Edition phones yet but have not found an answer, so I apologize if this is a redundant thread.

I am currently on Verizon using an HTC One M8 but am switching to AT&T for the first time, so I will be porting my old number from Verizon to AT&T. Has anyone else done this with the Pure Edition on AT&T with a new account? Will I need to have to use the fixes that I have found in the forums? I am planning on going into the physical store for activation.

Also, if any of you have any general tips/ recommendations on setting up the Moto X that have not already been posted I would appreciate it. Still trying to decide if I will upgrade to Lollipop right off the bat or not.

Thanks for the help, I have a couple of extra Google Inbox invites left so if you can help me out and want an invite I will be more than happy to give it to you. I am very excited to get this phone, it was originally scheduled to arrive 12/30 (I ordered it 12/15) but I just got the shipping email saying that it will arrive on 12/23.

JoseGui

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Clarification on activation of Pure Edition on AT&T - New customer from VZW - Is the issue resol

Good luck with the new X. I got my new X Pure Edition last week and activated it Saturday at a corporate AT&T store. No charge, and all is well, with full LTE and none of the issues I too had read about earlier. Otherwise, my experience with the phone is very positive, but it's only a few days in.

The second version of Lollipop for the Pure, version 22.21.11, is running fine for me. I didn't see much point in holding back. You should be able to download it OTA immediately or soon after you turn on the phone and set the phone up with your Google account on wifi (even before you activate, as I did). After installing it, but before any further setup, I strongly suggest you do a full system reset, not just a cache wipe. You won't be wasting much time or effort, and my experience with other phones and what I've read suggests this fresh start minimizes the odds of glitches from a system upgrade. It worked well for me this time.

Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Last edited:

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Clarification on activation of Pure Edition on AT&T - New customer from VZW - Is the issue resol

My experiences are similar to JoseGui's. I received my Pure Edition phone over a week ago and had no problems activating it on AT&T. I reminded the service rep that the IMEI would not be in their system. I'm not sure what number he used, but I am enjoying LTE wherever I go, so far.

I waited for over a week to update to Lollipop because of problems I had read about, but I got tired of the pop-up messages reminding me that the update was available. I updated this week and have had no problems with Lollipop so far.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Pulled SIM card out of my Z3 and put it in Moto X.. No call needed to AT&T and it automatically locked in LTE..

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Pulled SIM card out of my Z3 and put it in Moto X.. No call needed to AT&T and it automatically locked in LTE..

If you already have LTE data service with AT&T, it isn't a problem. It's only those who do not have it who might have an issue. I just switched from my 2013 Moto X to the new 2014 Pure Edition without issue, but my data plan was already LTE.

That said, the last few times anyone I knew went into an AT&T corporate store with a non-AT&T phone and needed to be activated with an LTE data plan, they had no issues at all. It might be a matter of what store/area you are in or go to to have it done. Some employees might be less intelligent than others ;).

Dukie22731

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

What if I don't have att lte yet? Will that be a problem?

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Shouldn't. You'll have to go get a sim card and they will change your plan so that it says lte data. It won't be a price change. When I switched over to lte a few years back they prorated my plan twice and it was weird but it all worked out and there was no cost.

material yolo?

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

Being a long time at&t customer, I had no issues, though oddly under the My Device section of the at&t.com it says that I am using a Motorola Z830, which is clearly wrong.

Dan

Posted via the Android Central App

Dukie22731

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the help guys. I took it in the other day and got it set up with no problems. At first the LTE didn't show up even though the guy in the store said the IMEI should be cleared to work on 4g, but I was able to get it with just rebooting the phone

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Being a long time at&t customer, I had no issues, though oddly under the My Device section of the at&t.com it says that I am using a Motorola Z830, which is clearly wrong.

To fix that you can do the online chat and give them the IMEI number of your current phone. I rarely get my phones directly through AT&T so unless I do that they often have one of my older phones listed when I pull up my profile online.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

To fix that you can do the online chat and give them the IMEI number of your current phone. I rarely get my phones directly through AT&T so unless I do that they often have one of my older phones listed when I pull up my profile online.

Of interest, I have not purchased a handset from at&t since approximately 2002 (always preferred to by my handsets unlocked and if possible unbranded) and they have never appeared as what they were supposed to. at&t should be able and is in fact able to pull the IMEI from the handset and match it against a database of known devices, but for whatever reason does not choose to do so. There are posts in Moto's own forums about people with Pure Edtions being called Moto Z830s on at&t.com.

Btw, I did actually provide the IMEI of my Pure Edition to at&t and it is still showing as a Moto Z830.

Dan

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Just google for any AT&T LTE phone IMEI. You can find them on eBay auctions, etc. Call up AT&T and give them that. Instant LTE.

For some reason, their network is a special snowflake that assigns data speed based on the IMEI. If it's a non-ATT branded IMEI (i.e. imported LTE capable phone, Pure Moto X, etc) the system will assign data as "HSPA+" So annoying.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site

Dan

Mine says Z830 as well on the site. I had to call ATT twice to get LTE. I was coming from an iPhone 4 and the first person did not remove me from the "iPhone data plan" but that was easily remedied with another phone call.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I didn't read the whole thread but based on the thread title... I just received my PE Moto X and brought it into an AT&T store. Opened a new plan (previously on VZW) and they ported my number over from VZW. Without unboxing my Moto X, they scanned the IMEI on the box, gave me a Sim card. Took it home and plugged it into the phone and I got LTE and everything else without a hitch.

Edit*** Now that I read the thread, looks like the OP is good

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Same here. However I'm getting LTE and the account mentions the data plan is for an LTE smartphone.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

Just google for any AT&T LTE phone IMEI. You can find them on eBay auctions, etc. Call up AT&T and give them that. Instant LTE.

For some reason, their network is a special snowflake that assigns data speed based on the IMEI. If it's a non-ATT branded IMEI (i.e. imported LTE capable phone, Pure Moto X, etc) the system will assign data as "HSPA+" So annoying.

That's interesting because on Verizon when I stick my sim card in a new phone it automatically finds what phone I'm using. I too never buy phones through the carrier because I switch phones too often. I've never had to call to have my online account updated because it auto detects the new model when I put the sim in.

bmclachlan

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

I purchased the pure edition but indicated that I was on an AT&T plan. The phone came with a tmobile sim but since then I've inserted my prior (first generation Moto X) Sim. AT&T recognizes my phone as a second generation Moto X.

I'm wondering if I would be able to activate the sim that came with the phone and then upgrade to lollipop?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

That's interesting because on Verizon when I stick my sim card in a new phone it automatically finds what phone I'm using. I too never buy phones through the carrier because I switch phones too often. I've never had to call to have my online account updated because it auto detects the new model when I put the sim in.

With both Moto X's I had to contact AT&T and give them the IMEI of the phone before it updated the phone on my profile, so it must be an AT&T thing.