How well does Moto voice work for you?

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I have to be holding the phone for it to recognize me. And if it's on a table a few feet away forget it.. I have to yell at it and even then it's hit or miss.

And when I do get it to work there really isn't much feed back as to if it has taken my orders. And also a long lag..

I'm on Lollipop..

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
There is a little lag and sometimes it doesn't always pick up on my command so I would have to repeat myself. I don't think the processing power is their yet at least maybe the 808 and 810 snapdragon can address those issues. I think it's half gimmicky half useful for now but I'm still happy with my Moto X.

NickinVA

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll admit, I turned it off. I use Google Now all the time, but the Voice feature just seemed like an extra step.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Moto Voice works pretty well for me. I use it quite often to send off text messages while I'm driving, and do simple tasks without picking up my phone.

I had an OG Moto X for a year before I bought my 2014 a couple weeks ago, so I was already used to using it quite a bit.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I like using it except it poorly recognizes me. What hot words are you guys using?
It took a while to find something that worked well but was not false triggered in a crowded bar or restaurant. So far I've settled on "testing... one two three".

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
"Hello Moto X" works for me for now at least. Try out a couple of different hot phrases and see what works.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've found that the latest version of Moto Voice is fairly buggy on Lollipop, at least for me. I've reported it to Moto and they told me others are having a similar issue and that they were looking at it.

I've generally found it to be fairly responsive and helpful. It'd be nice to decrease the time it takes to pass of a query from Moto voice to Google now though.

Posted via the Android Central App

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I've found that the latest version of Moto Voice is fairly buggy on Lollipop, at least for me. I've reported it to Moto and they told me others are having a similar issue and that they were looking at it.

I've generally found it to be fairly responsive and helpful. It'd be nice to decrease the time it takes to pass of a query from Moto voice to Google now though.

I believe that would be an issue for Google to solve. The part that is taking a while is Google recognizing what was said...at least in my case.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
So far not that great. It keeps going off when I have music playing on my stereo at my desk or in my car. What I mean is I'm not playing music from the phone or anything, but because it's listening when there is music playing in the room it randomly goes off asking me to "ask something".

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks..

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is everyone here running lollipop? I upgraded out of the box so I never experienced it on kit kat. I think some things are broken.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
So far not that great. It keeps going off when I have music playing on my stereo at my desk or in my car. What I mean is I'm not playing music from the phone or anything, but because it's listening when there is music playing in the room it randomly goes off asking me to "ask something".

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks..
Yeah... try changing your launch phrase.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
You're right!

I agree, there definitely seemed be some bugs here and there with lollipop. What I've observed:

1) The camera twist to start is inconsistent.
2) the camera will lock up after taking several pictures. Sometimes it doesn't though.
3) attentive display seems to be broken
4) the latest version of Moto Voice is inconsistent.

Others in the Google play store and the Moto X forums have observed these issues as well. I've emailed moto about all of them.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is a real bummer if I had known lollipop would cripple the Moto X I would have seriously considered the Nexus 6.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It is a real bummer if I had known lollipop would cripple the Moto X I would have seriously considered the Nexus 6.

My post probably came across negatively, but I actually wasn't trying to paint a rain cloud over this phone. None of these issues is a deal breaker for me and I've been very pleased with many of its features and qualities.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Mine is far from crippled. Not really crippled at all, actually. Only issue I have is slightly worse battery life, mostly due to GMail for some reason.

As far as Moto Voice, it works pretty well. My only issue is my launch phrase "Ok, Jarvis" doesn't always work so I might try something different. I've never had it launch on it's own. There is some lag sometimes getting the words to spit out into Google Now.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
To be 100% honest I do not use ANY voice at all. I find it not to work well for most day to day tasks. I guess it could just be me!