some questions after owning the phone for a few days

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I have now owned the pure edition for 2 days now and I have a few questions:

1. Is the phone supposed to be using the google now launcher by default? I thought moto used there own thing? Does that mean I have to wait for that app to update or can moto do it via firmware? Because Google hasn't exactly updated the now launcher recently.

2. So I went through a bit of a ordeal trying to figure out how to get to recovery mod and wipe the cache partition. Let's just say I've done a factory restore about 5 times now, 3 of those were the only intentional ones. Because I didn't know pressing up on the volume counted as selecting the operation. So I'm really worried this may have screwed up the software or ROM or something. Is there a way to know or is it highly unlikely?

3. If I need to do any repairs or whatever, where would I go? Does Motorola have service stores or anything?

4. Is this phone going to get 5.0.1 any time soon?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Is the phone supposed to be using the google now launcher by default? I thought moto used there own thing? Does that mean I have to wait for that app to update or can moto do it via firmware? Because Google hasn't exactly updated the now launcher recently.
Don't know - sorry. But many people prefer 3rd party launchers anyway. Have you tried Nova or Apex?

2. So I went through a bit of a ordeal trying to figure out how to get to recovery mod and wipe the cache partition. Let's just say I've done a factory restore about 5 times now, 3 of those were the only intentional ones. Because I didn't know pressing up on the volume counted as selecting the operation. So I'm really worried this may have screwed up the software or ROM or something. Is there a way to know or is it highly unlikely?
Highly unlikely, except for the work in reinstalling everything.

In the future, to clear cache, Settings/General/Storage.Cache. Wait until it finishes calculating, press it and clear it. (There's no Factory reset anywhere near it.)

3. If I need to do any repairs or whatever, where would I go? Does Motorola have service stores or anything?
Your carrier. Most of them do small repairs in the store and replace phones with bigger problems. For when the warranty runs out, get friendly with a local independent cellphone store that handles your carrier. Friends sometimes get breaks. (Like if you break your screen, and they happen to have pulled one from a phone that got zapped, but the screen is still good, they'll throw that one in for you cheap.)

4. Is this phone going to get 5.0.1 any time soon?
Sorry, I can't find replacement batteries for my crystal ball. My guess? It will. Soon? Maybe, maybe not.

My question - do you really want 5.0.1? Read up on all the bug reports.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
1. Yes
2. It won't hurt the phone
3. Moto will replace the phone by sending you a new code to order
4. Who knows. Could be today, could be a month

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Your carrier. Most of them do small repairs in the store and replace phones with bigger problems. For when the warranty runs out, get friendly with a local independent cellphone store that handles your carrier. Friends sometimes get breaks. (Like if you break your screen, and they happen to have pulled one from a phone that got zapped, but the screen is still good, they'll throw that one in for you cheap.)

If you have the Pure Edition, your carrier will likely turn you away. Their repair services are for subsidized phones first, and phones purchased through them second. You'll have to go through Motorola for warranty repairs. This isn't a bad thing, mind you.

Sorry, I can't find replacement batteries for my crystal ball. My guess? It will. Soon? Maybe, maybe not.

My question - do you really want 5.0.1? Read up on all the bug reports.

He likely already has 5.0 if he has a Pure Edition, so yes, he'll want the update when it comes.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If you have the Pure Edition, your carrier will likely turn you away. Their repair services are for subsidized phones first, and phones purchased through them second. You'll have to go through Motorola for warranty repairs. This isn't a bad thing, mind you.

He likely already has 5.0 if he has a Pure Edition, so yes, he'll want the update when it comes.

What are the known issues with 5.0 on the moto x?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech