High battery usage whilst in airplane mode?

StevenX

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Moto X for a couple of weeks and have noticed that it seems to drain battery strangely quickly when in Airplane mode and with the screen turned off. I leave my phone in this state while at work.

This morning, I put my phone away for over 3.5 hours in this state. After this 3.5 hours with screen off and airplane mode on, the battery had drained from 100% to 92%. The only 2 entries in the battery use screen were Phone Idle (1%) and Google Services (1% with a couple minutes of GPS and CPU usage which probably accounts for the amount of time it took for me to walk from my car to the office).
See attached screenshots for details.

It seems like 8% of battery use over 3.5 hours in airplane mode with almost 0 screen on time is kind of excessive, particularly as no app or service reports using much battery use at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix or diagnose this? I've used wakelock detecting apps in the past but they've been kind of neutered since Kit Kat and I don't want to root my X to get proper stats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-02-12-25-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-12-25-43.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2015-01-02-12-25-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-12-25-57.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2015-01-02-12-26-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-12-26-04.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 41

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Moto X for a couple of weeks and have noticed that it seems to drain battery strangely quickly when in Airplane mode and with the screen turned off. I leave my phone in this state while at work.

This morning, I put my phone away for over 3.5 hours in this state. After this 3.5 hours with screen off and airplane mode on, the battery had drained from 100% to 92%. The only 2 entries in the battery use screen were Phone Idle (1%) and Google Services (1% with a couple minutes of GPS and CPU usage which probably accounts for the amount of time it took for me to walk from my car to the office).
See attached screenshots for details.

It seems like 8% of battery use over 3.5 hours in airplane mode with almost 0 screen on time is kind of excessive, particularly as no app or service reports using much battery use at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix or diagnose this? I've used wakelock detecting apps in the past but they've been kind of neutered since Kit Kat and I don't want to root my X to get proper stats.

The same happened to my Dad's Moto G. Apparently, having GPS on doesn't get affected by airplane mode. So what remedied his situation was switching location settings to "battery saving," which uses the Mobile Network or WiFi to track location. I noticed that google services was still trying to use GPS even though the phone was in airplane mode (according to the battery chart). He turns his phone to airplane mode while it is in his underground locker at work. Turning the GPS off seems to have solved his battery drain issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

StevenX

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I don't really wanna turn the location mode to battery saving as that disables turn by turn navigation in Maps.
I've noticed that WiFi is shown as active when the phone's in airplane mode, even if you turn off the option for the phone to use WiFi even when it's turned off in Settings; presumably because Location is still using it either way and disobeying the settings.
Quite annoying. I don't think there's any way to fix this without root. If I had root, I could use Tasker to make GPS turn off when Airplane mode was activated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2