To Encrypt or not to Encrypt

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll start by saying that I had gone through the encryption process already. Or so at least I thought I had. I noticed slight hesitations when opening apps and certain things before, but after it was more noticeable. So I decided I would undo what I had done. Only to find that maybe the process never happened. When I go to that part in the settings, there is not an un-encrypt option. Meaning either a. I didn't ever actually finish the process or b. I did, but once done there is no turning back. After living with this for a few weeks I've decided I want it back to as shipped. Wondering if a factory reset is in order? Anyone else in the same situation? I was initially excited about encryption but think it isn't quite ready for prime time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Wait for someone to confirm this....
I think an factory reset will turn it back off and that is the only way to put your read /write speed back to 3 times faster.
I believe it's only Nexus 6 that you cannot turn it off at all without changing the boot files, easily available just Google it.

Wayne Sanders

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I tried that with my old black berry..then would not read the first encryption. Lost everything on the card. Yours maybe different.

Sent from my most awesome note 3

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Wait for someone to confirm this....
I think an factory reset will turn it back off and that is the only way to put your read /write speed back to 3 times faster.
I believe it's only Nexus 6 that you cannot turn it off at all without changing the boot files, easily available just Google it.

Yes. You can not decrypt the phone once it is encrypted. The only way to decrypt the phone is to perform a factory reset.

I have my phone encrypted with lollipop and haven't had the slightest bit of lag. Everything performs the same as it did before I encrypted. This leads me to believe that all those people complaining about encryption on by default on new lollipop phones like the Nexus 6 are just whining for no reason.

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Never used it myself, I don't carry any military secrets on my phone, I was referring to the hundreds of reviews. It's probably like de fragging a ntfs hard drive, not noticeable to most humans!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone encrypted and experiencing negative effects? I am kicking around the idea of doing it myself. If it is causing lag, it's probably not worth it to me.

Sent from my XT1096

WillyBean12

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have encrypted my MotoX 2014, and have seen no noticeable lag. Even though I do not have any sensitive information on my phone, I really do not want someone to browser my family photos if my phone get lost or stolen.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have encrypted and do not have any issues. The only thing that seems to take longer is to put my pin in before it boots up. The boot seems to take longer but phone is fine after and have not had any issues.

I think you can also disable the boot up pin some where in the settings.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you can also disable the boot up pin some where in the settings.

I would hope not.

While the phone is booted and running, the decryption key is resident (it has to be in order to read storage, of course).

When the phone is shut down, the decryption key should not exist anywhere in storage, and would be regenerated based on the startup PIN/password. If you could somehow bypass entering the PIN, that means it or the decryption key is stored somewhere on the phone, meaning there's utterly no point in encrypting the phone at all.

The decryption key has to come from some external source, or it's just useless overhead that won't slow down an attacker by much.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I would hope not.

While the phone is booted and running, the decryption key is resident (it has to be in order to read storage, of course).

When the phone is shut down, the decryption key should not exist anywhere in storage, and would be regenerated based on the startup PIN/password. If you could somehow bypass entering the PIN, that means it or the decryption key is stored somewhere on the phone, meaning there's utterly no point in encrypting the phone at all.

The decryption key has to come from some external source, or it's just useless overhead that won't slow down an attacker by much.
Here is the screen shot of where it asks if you want the pin on startup.
ea4b293324df6d64ccc66b12d40bb44a.jpg

Also I think this encryption is hardware based and not software. Could be wrong tho.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 6 was encrypted when I bought it on Thursday. Its faster than any device I've owned. I see no lag.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Fwiw, only time cops in US can't search your phone w/o court order is when its encrypted.

So if a cop wants to search my phone and it's encrypted I can basically say "**** off"? I was not aware of this. If true that's a great positive for encryption.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I encrypted and trusted places still works

I second this, my smart lock works perfectly. I have face, moto 360 and car Bluetooth trusted, and my house as a trusted location. I pretty rarely have to put my pattern in.

Also, I have the guest account enabled. With encryption enabled it still quickly switches to the guest account for those times I hand my phone to a friend.

Lee Korth

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I also have the encryption on my phone. Right from the start, it warned that once you encrypt, there is "NO GOING BACK WITHOUT A FACTORY RESET", THEREFORE, IT'S BEST, IMO, THAT YOU HAVE EVERYTHING STORED SOMEWHERE LIKE " BOX-WHATEVER", so you can retrieve everything after the factory reset. Not sure if this helps but it's only been my personal experience. Good Luck!!!

WONGA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC