Battery on Moto X(2014) Pure Edition

kenpbuck

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had better and I have had worse. Certainly sufficient for my needs. Quick charge can help out too. No experience with this phone before Lollipop though.

Posted via the Android Central App

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I've had easily a down android devices and what strikes me with the Moto X 2014 is that the battery life varies (for me) more than any other. This could simply be a Lollipop issue (which I've been pleased with overall) as I've only had L on this device. I really have no issue making it through a day unless I've been really using the phone a lot (subjective, but say over an hour of voice, over an hour of music/podcasts, and over 90 mins of screen time. On some days though I can do all that and end a 16 hour day at 40% or more.

Either way, I find it acceptable and hope that further OS improvement will only help.

Seth Kim

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Apps man. All about the apps. Life360 didn't eat my battery nearly as much as lollipop does. it murders my phone right now. Had to root and greenify it properly. wakelock detector helped me find out. So I'd say that not all apps are truly supported just yet. So be warned.

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If I use my phone a medium amount in medium coverage area, I'm left with 30% after 10 hours. However I typically use my phone more after work, so I'll be lucky if it doesn't die by the time I need to go to sleep.

reepS

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Battery maybe lasts 8 hours tops for me. Nexus 5 seemed better. I have no apps that drain it either.

Edit: maybe 10hrs. Will test and post screenshot of battery settings

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I came from an HTC One M7 to the Moto X. My Moto X was upgraded to Lollipop as soon as I got the phone. My battery life on the Moto X is better than the M7, by about a subjective 20 percent.

210prince

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Mine seems pretty decent. I use it on and off from about 5 am till 11 pm listening to music over the speakers for a few hours as well and I still usually have about 20% left when I head to bed.

JoseGui

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy as well. Never a problem going all day. I was expecting worse from all the forum discussion, but I think my usage is lighter than most here. I bought a turbo charger just to be safe but have yet to use it. Have been on 5.0 from day one, in December, so can't compare to Kit Kat.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Battery maybe lasts 8 hours tops for me. Nexus 5 seemed better. I have no apps that drain it either.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

8 hours? That is awful. What is your typical use? Do you live in an area with terrible signal? What about your carrier? Do you use a lot of light backgrounds/wallpapers? What is your typical screen on time? It is quite possible that something is wrong with your device.

Sorry for all of the questions but something seems off.

reepS

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. After some reflection, maybe it is closer to 10 hours on a good day of minimal use. Carrier is Att. Have Moto 360 so bluetooth is on. Have 3 email addresses that need to be up to date. Black wallpapers, everything is dark mode. Screen on time is high, maybe 4 hours? Signal is weak at work, maybe 1-2 "bars" Max. Also have maybe 5 calendars synced, and hangouts going constantly. Can't reduce any of that bc of work. I made a qi case, and it basically negates the small battery. I know that from the time I take it off the charged in the morning at maybe 6am, it will barely make it to 4pm. If gps is used to drive anywhere, or screen brightness is over 1/3 (I use auto brightness but frequently lower it), it might make it to 1pm. I don't think it is defective, I think the battery is too small for the features included, which are great. I will give it a go tomorrow, and not charge it at all until it gets to 10%. To be honest, I don't think it'll get past 2pm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

reepS

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Here are screenshot. The only reason groupon has such a huge share of the app usage was because I powered off the phone and powered it back on. Groupon is normally one of the least battery draining apps.

Note that it got down to 15%, or in other words 85% of my batter was used with only ~2.5 hours of screen on time. So 6:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., or 9.5 hours. I will say that the last 15% easily go in about 20-30 mins of actual usage. So maybe not as bad as I previously mentioned, but I don't think it could actually get 4 hours of screen on time the way I have it set up, being with all the features except nfc being used. I know that when I actually use 4 hours of screen time, it dies much sooner than 9.5 hours.

Screenshot_2015-02-02-15-30-57.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-02-15-32-05.jpgScreenshot_2015-02-02-15-34-47.jpg

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I get similar results as reepS. I have a charger at work (without it the phone would be useless to me). Here you can see where I left work at about 90%. Then after some medium usage with 2 hours screen on time I'm left with ~30% when I went to bed around 6 or 7 hours later. Then you can see it trickle while I slept.
Screenshot (Feb 3, 2015 7_11_59 AM).jpg

The huge vertical dip was from when the phone froze and I had to hard reset. Top 3 offenders are always Android System, Gmail, and Kernel.

Also, I have an app that disables WiFi when I'm not at home but the thing always shows WiFi on 100% of the time. It does this even when I manually turn off WiFi. Why?

Insanekiwi

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
For me its drain on idle is pretty reasonable at 0.8 to 1.0% per hour with WIFI always on. But as soon as I am outside, the battery life seems to drain down really quickly and Google play services is the top user of the drain. What's weird is that it seems to be draining so much quicker than my HTC one m8 which I had previous to this phone. Very frequent awake when I m on cell signal. I do have Google location reporting as I always have done with my previous phones.

Had anyone noticed the same? I want to use the phone as a smart phone. It seems idling is fine... With WiFi but not when I am out!

I have pure edition 32gb.

walrusmonarch

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing. When I am in the house or campus with Wifi, everything is fine. When I am out of range of Wifi, the battery just starts draining like crazy and google services becomes #1. I tried switching to battery saver from high accuracy for location reporting, but that doesn't seem to have done anything... I have tried factory resetting, flashing stock kk image from Motorola and updating via OTA again, etc. Nothing seems to help... I don't remember having this issue with kk.

Insanekiwi

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, exactly the same situation. I got mine second hand (2 weeks old) which had the boot loader unlocked. It was rooted then unrooted with original Motorola KK put on. Then updated via OTA to lollipop. Then performed factory reset and installed only the apps I use. Weather reporting is off on google now cards. Like walrusmonarch, have no battery problems with WiFi. Just the cell... With 2 bars and above signal of LTE or H+. Maybe problem with the Lollipop?? Especially when KK was ok for others?

Isaiah 43

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is great. I get about 14 to 16 hrs with 4 to 5 hrs of screen time before I charge it. I play several games, stream music for about an hour a day and watch YouTube for about an 1 to 2 hours a day.