Should I trade my G3 for a Moto X (2014)?

Should I trade my G3 for a Moto X (2014)?

• Total voters

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

I happened to order 2 Moto X 2014 in our local Black Friday offers but the phones, however, never arrived and I got my money back. Frustaded with the brazilian Motorola sales service, I bought a LG G3.

G3 is a beast: very nice hardware and all but the stock OS is terrible. Laggy, slow - takes like 3-4 secs to open their message app - and I ended up getting ROMs like CM12 or RR - based on Cyanogen.

Since I lost most of LG features (Knock Code, Stock Camera, FM Radio) I am asking myself: why not try Moto X again? I prefer a very fast and updated Android system over the powerful hardware that G3 have to offer.

I am a little worried about how is Moto X doing in Lollipop thou: I have seen reports that the Moto notifications are in conflict with LL ambient display, Moto assist is a little off the tracks and stuff like that.

Give me your thoughts guys, pretty please!

Thanks in advance!

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was in a similar situation and it was over Samsung and the Moto X. The lag on the Samsung Note 3 was irritating. Since I have been with Android, I have had a Motorola but, my real positive experience was with Samsung so, in October I decided to venture out and order the Moto X (2014). When I got the phone, I really enjoyed the phone size. It was nice. The battery was a little bit of a concern. When I set up the phone, I was careful to turn off services that I did not need and was careful which email accounts I loaded on the phone. I also knew that since I ordered the 32gb model, I was going to be more aware of music, pictures and video. So, I started to use the streaming services more.

Unfortunately, at the time of the upgrade my carrier never gave me a straight answer as far as how much time I had to evaluate the unit. Motorola gives 30 days and Verizon gives 15 days but no one could give me a consistent answer. Fearing potentially getting a phone that I did not want, i evaluated the unit for about 3 days before I returned it. The return took 90 days to process.

When I did have the phone, I enjoyed the size. The phone did look tiny compared to my Note 3 but, I started to get used to it. The Hello Moto was not really all that it was cracked up to be. I also found myself creating a miniature Note 3 in the process by adding some of the apps that I missed with my Note 3. Apps like a better keyboard app than the stock version, Color Note, Office Mobile and a Nova Launcher. As I added these apps, it started to drain the battery. I then noticed that I was looking at power saver modes and software which made the phone lag and brought back similarities to Touch Wiz. So, in the end, I was done. I had horrific battery life with the Galaxy S3 and had to turn most of the stuff off which made me wonder why I had a Smartphone to begin with because now it was really more like a regular phone. I did not want to relive my experience with the S3.

Today, I have a Note Edge. I can turn everything on and don't have to worry about the battery. Ironically, the other day when I went to access the pull down menu, it lagged big time. I told it was a POS and got mad at it. This was the 3rd time it lagged on be big time. So, my thoughts were, maybe its time to look at the Moto X or Nexus 6 and now that I am typing this response to you, I now remember why I had gotten rid of the Motorola. The other thing that bothered me about the Moto X was the lack of accessories.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I was in a similar situation and it was over Samsung and the Moto X. The lag on the Samsung Note 3 was irritating. Since I have been with Android, I have had a Motorola but, my real positive experience was with Samsung so, in October I decided to venture out and order the Moto X (2014). When I got the phone, I really enjoyed the phone size. It was nice. The battery was a little bit of a concern. When I set up the phone, I was careful to turn off services that I did not need and was careful which email accounts I loaded on the phone. I also knew that since I ordered the 32gb model, I was going to be more aware of music, pictures and video. So, I started to use the streaming services more.

Unfortunately, at the time of the upgrade my carrier never gave me a straight answer as far as how much time I had to evaluate the unit. Motorola gives 30 days and Verizon gives 15 days but no one could give me a consistent answer. Fearing potentially getting a phone that I did not want, i evaluated the unit for about 3 days before I returned it. The return took 90 days to process.

When I did have the phone, I enjoyed the size. The phone did look tiny compared to my Note 3 but, I started to get used to it. The Hello Moto was not really all that it was cracked up to be. I also found myself creating a miniature Note 3 in the process by adding some of the apps that I missed with my Note 3. Apps like a better keyboard app than the stock version, Color Note, Office Mobile and a Nova Launcher. As I added these apps, it started to drain the battery. I then noticed that I was looking at power saver modes and software which made the phone lag and brought back similarities to Touch Wiz. So, in the end, I was done. I had horrific battery life with the Galaxy S3 and had to turn most of the stuff off which made me wonder why I had a Smartphone to begin with because now it was really more like a regular phone. I did not want to relive my experience with the S3.

Today, I have a Note Edge. I can turn everything on and don't have to worry about the battery. Ironically, the other day when I went to access the pull down menu, it lagged big time. I told it was a POS and got mad at it. This was the 3rd time it lagged on be big time. So, my thoughts were, maybe its time to look at the Moto X or Nexus 6 and now that I am typing this response to you, I now remember why I had gotten rid of the Motorola. The other thing that bothered me about the Moto X was the lack of accessories.

This is why I love this community: awnsers with rich life experiences! I thank you for the time you spent here mate.

Nexus 6 would be the obvious choice: better battery and the pure droid I always dreamed on. But it is not avaliable at my country and I think it is way too large for my standards - G3 is already too big for me!

The battery is all that I am worrying about that trade but G3 doesn't have a monster battery with the ROMs I am running. All I have got is 3h SOT and I think Moto X can achieve it aswell. I am not a hardcore user so I'm unsure if it will be a problem.

Once again, thanks for your report!

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This is why I love this community: awnsers with rich life experiences! I thank you for the time you spent here mate.

Nexus 6 would be the obvious choice: better battery and the pure droid I always dreamed on. But it is not avaliable at my country and I think it is way too large for my standards - G3 is already too big for me!

The battery is all that I am worrying about that trade but G3 doesn't have a monster battery with the ROMs I am running. All I have got is 3h SOT and I think Moto X can achieve it aswell. I am not a hardcore user so I'm unsure if it will be a problem.

Once again, thanks for your report!

You might want to consider ordering the Moto X if they still have a 30 day return policy and no restock fee and keep your G3 around until the end of the 30 days. You will find on this forum (or at least my assessment), that there are some who love the phone and others who do not. The main complaint of the Moto X seems to be that battery unless you are a minimalist. For me, I find myself using my phone way more than I thought. Ironically, when I had my Moto X, I used my tablet more. When I use my Note Edge and Note 3, I used the tablet less

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
You might want to consider ordering the Moto X if they still have a 30 day return policy and no restock fee and keep your G3 around until the end of the 30 days. You will find on this forum (or at least my assessment), that there are some who love the phone and others who do not. The main complaint of the Moto X seems to be that battery unless you are a minimalist. For me, I find myself using my phone way more than I thought. Ironically, when I had my Moto X, I used my tablet more. When I use my Note Edge and Note 3, I used the tablet less

Unfortunately they don't have this returning policy here in Brazil :(

It is a shame that we lack Pure Droid options. I am still hoping for a Neus 6 Mini heh

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I used to own an LG G3, and I returned it for the exact reasons you talked about earlier. I hated the lag. A phone that amazing should not lag. I love the Moto X. I owned the original Moto X and now this one and they have each been great. The camera on the Moto X is much worse than the G3. The G3 had the best camera I had ever used on a smartphone. The Moto X has the ability to customize, stock android, Moto apps, and more. It is up to you they are each great phones but for me I prefer stock android and no lag so that's why the Moto X won it for me

Posted via the Android Central App

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the Moto X and although it is a very good phone I think the G3 is better. First, I know active display is nice but I think a notification light is just as if not more useful to me. I can set my light to blink different colors for different things and I don't have to go near my phone. The camera is way better on the G3. More ram,bigger removable/replaceable battery ( although I never have needed to carry a spare or replace my battery) sd card ( again I don't think it's that big a deal but at least you have it) I usually just root my phones and freeze whatever I don't need/use with TB

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
After having my g3 for a while (traded my Samsung s5 for it) the phone has everything I want in a phone. I was considering buying the moto x 2014 since I have a 140 off coupon code, but the battery life and camera are me appreciate my g3

Sent from my rooted Vzw LG G3 on a couch in Portland Oregon

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Just from playing with the 2 different phones, I would say get a Moto X. I played with my friend's G3 and it lagged just scrolling around on his home screens. He was running stock 4.4 unrooted with LG's skin. Then I played with the 2014 Moto X Verizon edition and there was no lag no matter what I did. I opened tons of apps, opened the notification shade, went to recent apps, closed apps, reopened apps, multi tasked, everything, and I couldn't get it to lag.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello there!

I happened to order 2 Moto X 2014 in our local Black Friday offers but the phones, however, never arrived and I got my money back. Frustaded with the brazilian Motorola sales service, I bought a LG G3.

G3 is a beast: very nice hardware and all but the stock OS is terrible. Laggy, slow - takes like 3-4 secs to open their message app - and I ended up getting ROMs like CM12 or RR - based on Cyanogen.

Since I lost most of LG features (Knock Code, Stock Camera, FM Radio) I am asking myself: why not try Moto X again? I prefer a very fast and updated Android system over the powerful hardware that G3 have to offer.

I am a little worried about how is Moto X doing in Lollipop thou: I have seen reports that the Moto notifications are in conflict with LL ambient display, Moto assist is a little off the tracks and stuff like that.

Give me your thoughts guys, pretty please!

Thanks in advance!

I had this choice to make too. I narrowed my search for a new phone down to the g3 and moto x 2014. But after reading countless reviews I decided to go for the moto x due to the reasons you describe (g3 has got great specs but is ruined by the laggy LG android tweaks) and the fact that I read lots of reports of the g3 randomly turning itself off. Reading about the smooth stock android experience of the moto made my mind up. Sure, the camera isnt great and the battery life could be better. But as someone who doesn't take that many photos with my phone, and somebody who's not a power user I decided that they were less important to me personally. I don't regret choosing the moto, but same as always, everybody's situation and requirements are different. If you need a great camera or great battery life then look elsewhere. If they're not too important to you, like they aren't to me, then you'll love the stock android experience of the moto x.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I used to own an LG G3, and I returned it for the exact reasons you talked about earlier. I hated the lag. A phone that amazing should not lag. I love the Moto X. I owned the original Moto X and now this one and they have each been great. The camera on the Moto X is much worse than the G3. The G3 had the best camera I had ever used on a smartphone. The Moto X has the ability to customize, stock android, Moto apps, and more. It is up to you they are each great phones but for me I prefer stock android and no lag so that's why the Moto X won it for me

Thanks for your report man, that's how I feel aswel. Since I don't use camera lot, I guess it won't be a concern.

I had the Moto X and although it is a very good phone I think the G3 is better. First, I know active display is nice but I think a notification light is just as if not more useful to me. I can set my light to blink different colors for different things and I don't have to go near my phone. The camera is way better on the G3. More ram,bigger removable/replaceable battery ( although I never have needed to carry a spare or replace my battery) sd card ( again I don't think it's that big a deal but at least you have it) I usually just root my phones and freeze whatever I don't need/use with TB

Here in Brazil we just have the 2GB RAM model so it is much worse. I have heard reports that the 3GB version does not lag that bad as the 2GB model. It is a pitty!

After having my g3 for a while (traded my Samsung s5 for it) the phone has everything I want in a phone. I was considering buying the moto x 2014 since I have a 140 off coupon code, but the battery life and camera are me appreciate my g3

Sent from my rooted Vzw LG G3 on a couch in Portland Oregon

Yeah G3 have a very cool camera, indeed. But I mostly destroyed it by going into CM based ROMs. The camera is WAY better at stock based ROMs but it is awfully laggy.

I had this choice to make too. I narrowed my search for a new phone down to the g3 and moto x 2014. But after reading countless reviews I decided to go for the moto x due to the reasons you describe (g3 has got great specs but is ruined by the laggy LG android tweaks) and the fact that I read lots of reports of the g3 randomly turning itself off. Reading about the smooth stock android experience of the moto made my mind up. Sure, the camera isnt great and the battery life could be better. But as someone who doesn't take that many photos with my phone, and somebody who's not a power user I decided that they were less important to me personally. I don't regret choosing the moto, but same as always, everybody's situation and requirements are different. If you need a great camera or great battery life then look elsewhere. If they're not too important to you, like they aren't to me, then you'll love the stock android experience of the moto x.

I guess I was too hasty getting the G3. Moto X was my first choice but because of the Black Friday chaos I had to cancel the orders since they were taking like 2 months do deliver. Still, G3 isnt that bad running CM roms. I just feel like I am missing all the features that made me buy it over Moto X....

I am sorry for the delay guys, I have been a little busy!

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I had both at the same time and the Moto X provides an excellent user experience with the active display and very smooth UI but in the end I stuck with the G3 for the battery life, big screen but nice overall phone size, and the camera.
I still may pick up another one if I can find one cheap.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 6 would be the obvious choice: better battery and the pure droid I always dreamed on.
That's not what I heard, most of the consensus I see is that people are disappointed with the Nexus 6 battery life. But I don't own it, it's too big to be a phone to me.

Personally, I'd keep the G3 and not get the X (even though I'm looking to buy another one right now). The main thing is the camera, the Moto X camera isn't that good, especially in low lights. Unless you really feel the G3 is slow or have some serious issues like overheating, then consider the X, but if you do, then you should consider the HTC M8 as well.

Even without pure android, the Moto X is still one of the smoothest phone I've used. It also have superb signal and voice call quality. For me, only AOSP can qualify as pure android, Nexus devices have too much Google bloats to even be called pure android, the first thing I usually do with my Nexus devices is to disable everything, most Motorola apps are actually useful.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Nexus 6 on Friday. It's a nice big phone if you like Nice big phones. The camera is GREAT too IME. The battery life is not as good as my Note 4 but I wonder if I really need it to be. It'll get me through most of a day and I'm typically never that far from a charger. If you like stock android a lot (I don't care for it that much) you may like Lollipop.

The Nexus 6 is the best Nexus phone yet and is really worthy of consideration if its size and price don't put you off.

from the venerable Note 3π

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Nexus 6 on Friday. It's a nice big phone if you like Nice big phones. The camera is GREAT too IME. The battery life is not as good as my Note 4 but I wonder if I really need it to be. It'll get me through most of a day and I'm typically never that far from a charger. If you like stock android a lot (I don't care for it that much) you may like Lollipop.

The Nexus 6 is the best Nexus phone yet and is really worthy of consideration if its size and price don't put you off.

from the venerable Note 3π

I really like 5 inches phones but the overall size of Nexus 6 is way too big for me. I can barely stand my G3 and it pisses me off sometimes.

I will end up trading for a Moto X and will wait for a future not-so-giant Nexus.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
That's not what I heard, most of the consensus I see is that people are disappointed with the Nexus 6 battery life. But I don't own it, it's too big to be a phone to me.

Personally, I'd keep the G3 and not get the X (even though I'm looking to buy another one right now). The main thing is the camera, the Moto X camera isn't that good, especially in low lights. Unless you really feel the G3 is slow or have some serious issues like overheating, then consider the X, but if you do, then you should consider the HTC M8 as well.

Even without pure android, the Moto X is still one of the smoothest phone I've used. It also have superb signal and voice call quality. For me, only AOSP can qualify as pure android, Nexus devices have too much Google bloats to even be called pure android, the first thing I usually do with my Nexus devices is to disable everything, most Motorola apps are actually useful.

I bought the G3 mostly because of the superb Camera but I use it so little that I put an AOSP ROM here. If I am using an AOSP ROM, loosing the camera quality and most of G3 functions, why do I have a G3 anyway then?

That is why I am moving towards the Moto X.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I would like to thank everyone who helped me deciding. I already traded my G3 for a Moto X and I am very happy with it!

Like we discussed it has it downs: the camera suffers in low light and the battery is not that great - although I am having more screen time compared to my G3.

What makes the difference are the ups: great signal reception (GPS signal is much better compared to the G3), Moto Display, Moto Voice and Moto Assist - which is a big deal for me since I spend a lot of time in the traffic/driving. Also, the Moto X is lighting fast and the pure droid experience is like no other. I really don't miss my old iPhone 5 now!

Once again, thank you all!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2