Camera question?

terryh215

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
How bad is the camera? All the reviews I've seen are bad. I was thinking of switching from the M8 but if the camera is as bad as they say I won't do it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the 2013 X and the M8. I think both take pictures about the same. If you are doing something like posting to Twitter or here on AC, either one should be fine.

PKnowles95

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally I have loved the camera. It was a great upgrade from my nexus 4. Here's a few samples. I've realized the only thing I haven't loved about the original shots is the contrast levels and slight under saturation but that can all me changed with the built in editing software in the photo gallery.

Attachments

• 9952.jpg
    9952.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 9900.jpg
    9900.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20150205_190412.jpg
    IMG_20150205_190412.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 112

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
As with any camera much of the quality depends on the person taking the photo knowing how to make the best of lighting conditions. I've taken some very nice shots. But sometimes it may take a few tries.

Attachments

• IMG_20150103_213631.jpg
    IMG_20150103_213631.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 103

reepS

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If there is light, it is good. No light it is useless. Flash is pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Camera is decent. Not as good as the Note 4 nor Nexus 6 camera. But it isn't as bad as you think. Capture is fast. Slow motion video is top notch.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I am very happy with both the front and rear camera on my Moto X. It may not be technically as good as some other phones, but its the best camera I've had on any phone to date. It's miles better than my old Moto X too. People need to realize that a smartphone camera is not a DSLR and they never will be. You can get great shots with the Moto X to just capture memories and share pictures. Its not going to be a great camera for a professional photo shoot. No phone is.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X 2014's camera has been absolute bullocks! And the video capture is even worse. 😵

Mind you, I know the goodness of a quality camera on a smartphone coming from iPhones and Nokia Lumias.

P.S. I don't think the actual camera hardware is at fault but the camera software, so I'm hoping that an update to the camera app will improve camera quality somewhat...

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is the camera great? No.

Can you get great shots out of it? Yes.

It's all about working within the limits of the software, your subject, and your lighting conditions.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Is the camera great? No.

Can you get great shots out of it? Yes.

It's all about working within the limits of the software, your subject, and your lighting conditions.

I kind of agree with this to a certain extent. The camera /software is basically not very good, in low light especially. It takes a lot more effort to get decent photos out of it than any other phone I've used. But not EVERY pic is rubbish, you can get SOME good pics sometimes. Just be prepared to get loads of crap ones too! As far as I'm concerned the camera in a phone should just be a quick point and shoot and you should get some decent photos (which has been the case with previous phones I've owned). But with this camera you can't do that. Youve got to give it an age to focus, if it indeed focuses at all (unless you manually focus it), then keep mega still when taking the pic (no optical stabilisation). If you do all of that then yeah, you might get a decent shot. But in all honesty its by far the worst thing about this phone. Many times when trying to take a picture whilst inside another app I've ended up having to take and send blurred pics, simply because the camera refuses to focus itself, and within the app that im in, touching the screen to manually focus either does nothing or performs a different function than focusing the camera, so its not possible to manually focus it. Again, never had this problem with ancient phones I've owned previously.

Some people say "oh but its not a DSLR, you shouldn't expect miracles". Well, no I don't expect it to be a DSLR and I don't expect miracles from a phone camera. I'm really not difficult to please as far as pics are concerned. But this camera just doesn't do what, as far as I'm concerned, its supposed to do, i.e. take a decent picture quickly and easily. And as mentioned, with the auto focusing problem, it can make taking good photos almost impossible within certain apps.

Last edited:

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The camera is even worse than many people say. I got my phone as a replacement for series of defective 2013 models. The camera is the only letdown for me, and it's a huge one. I have even tried using camera apps that give me lots of manual control (fv5) and still hate it. My # one complaint is that it focuses on the wrong things, even when I try and use touch to focus to get around the issues.
I plan on selling mine as soon as the HTC m9 is available. I'll definitely miss some of the moto awesomeness of this phone, but can't live with this camera and mediocre battery life.