T-mobile HD Voice capable?

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Greetings. I'm currently rockin the Pure Edition on TMo with a walnut back/bronze accent. I exude class, MF'ers. I like this phone, although, I miss the compact size of the 2013 X.

So, I admit I don't use my phone for calls very much and when I do, it's typically through my car's bluetooth. The other day, I was talking to my wife who has the Nexus 5 while driving home, I park the car and transfer to my headset. the call was suddenly so clear. There is no indication on my phone that it's an HD Voice call, but I can't believe it's anything else. I haven't been able to find out if it's even capable or not, or what would make it capable. Either way, it's impressive. I don't know too many people with Tmobile to test it out with, though.

Also, is there any word if the XT1095 is going to get band 12 support (officially or through radio flashes)? It's actually live in my area (Cleveland) and would be pretty nice to have. I don't see why it wouldn't be since it's on both the XT1092 and XT1097. They use the same chip, correct?

Thanks,
capn

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Transferring the call to the headset wouldn't have anything with transferring it to HD. But the headset sitting on (or in) your ear might be giving you better audio quality than some car speakers that are mounted more for accessibility and looks than for any audio consideration. (And the fact that the inside of a car is audiological junk - you almost couldn't design a worse listening area.)

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Right. That's why I mentioned I typically only talk while on Bluetooth. I wouldn't expect the HD voice to go through the stereo. But when I talk to my wife thriugh the handset versus someone else (a non tmo customer) the difference is staggering.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X supports HD Voice as does the Nexus 5.

However as a clarification HD Voice is different on every network and T-Mobile's HD Voice is known as AMR-WB and runs over their 3G HSPA+ network. So as long as the device has Vocoder Software capable of employing AMR-WB you will have the capability to take advantage of HD Voice.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does.

In fact it is my understanding that almost every device produced in 2014 does.

The caveat being that both sides of the phone call have to be on the T-Mobile network and that both handsets have the required vocoder.

Dan

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. Thanks.

This is probably why I've never noticed it before. Out of the 7 people that I have telephone conversations with, my wife is the only other person on T-Mobile. She's the one I talk to the most frequently on the phone with, and I live with her. What I'm trying to say is that I use maybe 50 minutes of voice per month. Reading further between the lines; I need friends.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks