How many Moto X 2014 users have cracked/broken their screens?

miramoo97

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I never dropped my Moto X, I have a shock proof case, and I am very careful with it. I was told the gorilla glass was so durable I didn't need a screen protector, so didn't put one on. That said I noticed the other day a deep scratch, which is puzzling, as I don't keep it in my bag, and I keep pockets clear of anything that could scratch it. Clearly something did scratch it though, my mistake obviously, and today I had it briefly tucked in my pocket and when I took it out, the screen had cracked right up the long way in the middle, clearly originating from the scratch.

I have never damaged a phone, nor needed a replacement, no one is more careful, so this is really odd. I called Motorola and they offered right away for me to send photos of the crack to their escalation department, even though they also say that the warranty does not cover physical damage. Interested to see where this goes, since there certainly are a lot of comments on the glass breaking.

I have always had Motorola phones, and never had an issue over 16+ years.

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Mine cost me $125 a few weeks ago through Motorola. They mailed me my exact phone, with custom ebony back, and a return envelope. Had my replacement with in a few days of reporting it.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I never dropped my Moto X, I have a shock proof case, and I am very careful with it. I was told the gorilla glass was so durable I didn't need a screen protector, so didn't put one on. That said I noticed the other day a deep scratch, which is puzzling, as I don't keep it in my bag, and I keep pockets clear of anything that could scratch it.

Yeah, this surprised and disappointed me when I first got the phone. Had it for a few weeks only and noticed a half inch scratch down the middle of the screen. Not too noticeable unless in sunlight at the right angle. And now ive had the phone for around six months, theres a few more scratches too. I have never dropped it, knocked it, or even kept ANYTHING in the same pocket as the phone. I dont have a case on so im ultra careful with it. Yet the screen got scratched within weeks. Gorilla glass is all hype and no substance as far as I can see, otherwise how did my screen scratch so easily? Dropping the phone is a different issue entirely though. If you drop it, you can consider yourself lucky if the screen doesn't crack. Im just disappointed with the supposedly "scratch resistant" side of things.

Posted via the Android Central App

walrusmonarch

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this surprised and disappointed me when I first got the phone. Had it for a few weeks only and noticed a half inch scratch down the middle of the screen. Not too noticeable unless in sunlight at the right angle. And now ive had the phone for around six months, theres a few more scratches too. I have never dropped it, knocked it, or even kept ANYTHING in the same pocket as the phone. I dont have a case on so im ultra careful with it. Yet the screen got scratched within weeks. Gorilla glass is all hype and no substance as far as I can see, otherwise how did my screen scratch so easily? Dropping the phone is a different issue entirely though. If you drop it, you can consider yourself lucky if the screen doesn't crack. Im just disappointed with the supposedly "scratch resistant" side of things.

Gorilla glass 3 is supposed to be close to 7 on the Mohs scale I think. So, anything with a greater Mohs hardness will scratch it, like sand, particles found in 'dirt'. Particles that are very common practically everywhere, including pockets, etc. It doesn't matter how careful you are, no way to get around that. You would need something with a greater Mohs hardness like Sapphire (9 I think), but then that would be very brittle and much more prone to shattering. It is a compromise.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Gorilla glass 3 is supposed to be close to 7 on the Mohs scale I think. So, anything with a greater Mohs hardness will scratch it, like sand, particles found in 'dirt'. Particles that are very common practically everywhere, including pockets, etc. It doesn't matter how careful you are, no way to get around that. You would need something with a greater Mohs hardness like Sapphire (9 I think), but then that would be very brittle and much more prone to shattering. It is a compromise.

That may be true, but if it can get scratched that easily by a tiny particle of dirt in your pocket, why is it marketed as being scratch resistant? That sounds like the exact opposite of something that is scratch resistant to me. Like I said in my previous post, its all hype and no substance. Market something as scratch resistant, but in reality, just using the item as it should be used (i.e. innocently keeping it in your pocket) will in fact easily scratch it! Corning should be ashamed if that's the case.

Akshay Rohilla

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Glass is glass. If you're unfortunate/clumsy enough to drop your phone then depending on how it lands there's a good possibility that the screen will break. Maybe the way that the glass slightly wraps around the edges and corners of the phone doesn't help, but at the end of the day if you drop your phone its your fault and nobody else's. The other option is, of course, to use a case to give you more protection, but there are lots of people who don't like cases due to making the phone more bulky etc. And with this phone in particular cases are less desired simply because if you've paid and gone to the trouble of designing your phone, why would you then want to cover it up with a case?! I think maybe that's why there are a few people cracking their screens with this particular phone. I don't use anything, I'm just extra careful when handling the phone. Maybe one day I'll drop it and it will break, but like I say, that's hardly Motorola's fault is it?

Akshay Rohilla

May 28, 2015
Visit site
A glass is glass but if you are mentioning it durable ` so called corning gorilla glass 3 ` then its a false statement. And the cost of just a screen is 300 bucks or you can buy a new phone in just 360 bucks so in 60 bucks you can get sensors battery camera flash processor ram speaker mike noise cancellation etc everything. This is not fair at all and there is no free replacement in india. One slip and this is whats going to happen.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
A glass is glass but if you are mentioning it durable ` so called corning gorilla glass 3 ` then its a false statement. And the cost of just a screen is 300 bucks or you can buy a new phone in just 360 bucks so in 60 bucks you can get sensors battery camera flash processor ram speaker mike noise cancellation etc everything. This is not fair at all and there is no free replacement in india. One slip and this is whats going to happen.

I don't think Corning has ever claimed that their glass is drop proof. When they say durable they mean scratch resistant (although I have an issue with this claim due to the fact that my screen has a few scratches even though I've always treated my phone as if its made from eggshells). Motorola is just using the industry standard glass that is available to them and everybody else, which like I say, isn't necessarily supposed to survive an impact.

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Dropped mine face down on concrete. I have a TPU case and static film screen protector on the phone. My phone still looks like new. Don't know if it was the protection that stopped the screen from cracking, or if I just got lucky.

BuJ_14

May 1, 2013
Visit site
All I can say is the build quality of this phone is by far one of the best I have seen and used. I have the MotoCare and do not use a case. Phone looks to good to cover it up.

The glass will shader on any phone. The design of this phone is more prone to take a direct hit to the glass as the edges are rounded to the bezel.

I have had mine since November and had no issues with it. I did buy 2 cases and done use either of them. The phone is too nice without.

Can I have one of those cases you don't use? I can't afford to break my new baby.

droidgirl65

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I got the Moto X 2nd gen summer 2015 because it has a duel antenna. The signal is better than my Galaxy was; BUT this phone is much more delicate. I dropped it on my foot and it slid to the tile/concrete floor. It shattered. After $100 and a lot of hassle for screen repair and buying an Otterbox, two tiny cracks are slowly moving across the screen. I have NOT dropped it.

dlgood47

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to chime in here to say that I've owned several smartphones since 2009 and *never* cracked a screen. I've now cracked the screen FOUR times on the Moto X. Yes, it's my fault that the phone had the opportunity to crack - but sometimes it's fallen out of my pocket while doing situps and cracked, it's crazy. The phone should be able to fall a foot. People drop phones.

For those of you sneering at those of us with cracked screens, saying "it's like blaming the car for getting dented when you hit a telephone pole," no, it's like the car exploding when you're in a fender bender. I'll take some of the blame, but it's clear to me that the phone's either too slippery or the screen is too fragile for normal use.

I'm otherwise very happy with this phone - but I'm moving on.

bunta

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my phone yesterday laying on a couch (it was on my chest, slid off and the ground). Landed on an corner and shattered bottom half. Phone and screen still work, but the glass protrudes in some areas. So i was looking to get it fixed and everyone i called said b/t $170 and $230. One of the gents actually said it wasn't worth fixing and just get another one.

I found a brand new unopened motox 2 on ebay for $170. Which would have been the same or less as the repair. I have 8mo. left on contract and it's my only phone so i bought. doesn't have the wood custom bac like i have but it beats owning a refurb that may or may not act accordingly as a new version.

so if you shatter your phone like i did and want to fix it, you're better off buying a new one. my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy