Eligible for an upgrade on 4/1...(AT&T)

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using an HTC One M7 since April/May of 2013. Been a fantastic phone...and the SD 600 inside still actually performs very well...but I'm ready for something new.

I'm running a pure lollipop ROM at the moment...and I'm not really interested in the new M9 or the S6.

My question is...would you still buy the Moto x2 with it being 5-6 months old? I know it will b a good upgrade from the M7...but I have to keep in mind that it will likely be a 2.5 year old phone when I upgrade again.

Any insight is appreciated.

BA

Posted via the Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been using an HTC One M7 since April/May of 2013. Been a fantastic phone...and the SD 600 inside still actually performs very well...but I'm ready for something new.

I'm running a pure lollipop ROM at the moment...and I'm not really interested in the new M9 or the S6.

My question is...would you still buy the Moto x2 with it being 5-6 months old? I know it will b a good upgrade from the M7...but I have to keep in mind that it will likely be a 2.5 year old phone when I upgrade again.

Any insight is appreciated.

BA

Posted via the Android Central App

Nexus 6.

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the suggestion....but for me personally....they made the Nexus 6 waaaay too big. If it had a screen in the neighborhood of 5 inches it would be exactly what I would get.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
This is just my two-cents, but I think the US carriers (AT&T and Verizon especially) have done such a great job selling consumers on the idea of subsidized phones that everyone feels like it's their birthday when their two-year contract is up and they get to pay a "nominal" fee of $100-200 for a new $600 freshly-bloated phone which will fail to get appropriate updates over the next two years.

Do yourself a favor and recognize the end of your contract as a day of freedom and think about taking the plunge to buy an unlocked, unbloated, pure edition phone on your own. I also recommend a Nexus 6 but I do love my Moto X 2014 Pure Edition.

HTC and Samsung have a terrible track record regarding updates on their carrier-branded phones. These forums are literally padded with thread after thread of simultaneously infuriating and tiresome posts about updates that never happen.

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
This is just my two-cents, but I think the US carriers (AT&T and Verizon especially) have done such a great job selling consumers on the idea of subsidized phones that everyone feels like it's their birthday when their two-year contract is up and they get to pay a "nominal" fee of $100-200 for a new $600 freshly-bloated phone which will fail to get appropriate updates over the next two years.

Do yourself a favor and recognize the end of your contract as a day of freedom and think about taking the plunge to buy an unlocked, unbloated, pure edition phone on your own. I also recommend a Nexus 6 but I do love my Moto X 2014 Pure Edition.

HTC and Samsung have a terrible track record regarding updates on their carrier-branded phones. These forums are literally padded with thread after thread of simultaneously infuriating and tiresome posts about updates that never happen.

In my last couple of phones (GS2, & M7)...ive ended up basically getting the phone for its hardware...because I would root them and then end up running some sort of stock android on them.(i.e. CM11 or CM12). In my situation personally (House, Cars, Kids, etc..) paying more than $200 for a new phone just isn't really realistic for me.

I could do it...but a majority of my money is best served doing other things....however I can justify $100-$200 every now and then to get myself a new toy. Things like bloatware and updates are less important to me simply because odds are i'll end up rooting the phone at some point anyway.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Get a Pure Edition. You said you like the pure lollipop... then the Pure Edition is the way to go. They are doing a soak test of 5.1 on that device right now, and it should be live to everybody fairly soon.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Get a Pure Edition. You said you like the pure lollipop... then the Pure Edition is the way to go. They are doing a soak test of 5.1 on that device right now, and it should be live to everybody fairly soon.

I concur. If you go with the 2014 Moto X (a terrific phone - no complaints except for the so-so camera), the Pure Edition is definitely the one to get. I too am on AT&T and regret getting the AT&T branded one.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

i agree with this. i use a Nexus from Play Store with AT&T GoPhone. no contract, pure freedom, great value, first class experience, second to none, with no compromises.

Last edited: