5.1 Storage Question

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a 16 GB Moto X. Last time I checked I had 6-7 GB free. Will 5.1 take up more space? Will I need to probably do a factory reset after I upgrade?

Should have probably gone with 32 GB but I don't download many apps and I use Spotify and Google Play Music.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.1 Storage Question

Do you mean 5.1? Android update? If so, yes that's enough room and you might need to do a factory reset.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

It won't take up that much more space. If you decide to factory reset ( I always do after updates ) be sure to have backed up your device to Google. While it takes time to perform it's no longer the nightmare it used to be.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I agree with the above that 5.1 will not take up much more room than 5.0 or 5.0.2.

IMHO, you need to know what you are going to be using your Android phone for and what apps you are going to load on it to understand how much space you are going to need.

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, everyone! My bad. I meant 5.1.

I am kind of regretting not going with the 32 GB version but then again I don't use many apps.

The biggest app is probably Spotify. For some reason it takes up about 700 MB. Don't think I have it saving music.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, everyone! My bad. I meant 5.1.

I am kind of regretting not going with the 32 GB version but then again I don't use many apps.

The biggest app is probably Spotify. For some reason it takes up about 700 MB. Don't think I have it saving music.

Go into Settings > Storage... this will tell you a little about what is taking up so much room.... and by touching the Cache section you will be given the option to clear this. The Cache will always grow again.

jm101

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Go into Settings > Storage... this will tell you a little about what is taking up so much room.... and by touching the Cache section you will be given the option to clear this. The Cache will always grow again.

Thanks! Will give that a try.

Spotify is starting to take up a lot of space again. Oh well, I still have a good amount of room left on the device. Maybe the 16GB version wasn't a bad choice after all. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12