Does the 5.1 Factory Reset Protection (aka Device Protection) require a factory reset to enable it?

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to find out whether the new 5.1 Factory Reset Protection feature (a.k.a Device Protection) on the X 2nd gen requires a factory reset to enable it.
Has anyone gone from stock 5.0 to stock 5.1 using the OTA without a factory reset after the update. If so, can you advise whether or not the Device Protection feature is enabled on your phone?

Reason:
I'm currently on 5.0 UK stock but using my 1st gen X (long story, won't bore you with the reasons). I'd like to switch back to the 2nd gen but don't want to go through the hassle of setting everything back up only to then have to reset the phone after the (hopefully imminent) 5.1 OTA. I do want the Device Protection though.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Did you update from 5.0 to 5.1 without a factory reset? A question for you..

I'm trying to find out whether the new 5.1 Factory Reset Protection feature (a.k.a Device Protection) on the X 2nd gen requires a factory reset to enable it.
Has anyone gone from stock 5.0 to stock 5.1 using the OTA without a factory reset after the update. If so, can you advise whether or not the Device Protection feature is enabled on your phone?

Reason:
I'm currently on 5.0 UK stock but using my 1st gen X (long story, won't bore you with the reasons). I'd like to switch back to the 2nd gen but don't want to go through the hassle of setting everything back up only to then have to reset the phone after the (hopefully imminent) 5.1 OTA. I do want the Device Protection though.

I can say with all my devices I absolutely do a factory reset after any update every time.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Did you update from 5.0 to 5.1 without a factory reset? A question for you..

Personally I just do a cache clear using the recovery menu rather than a full factory reset. Clears out the cobwebs while keeping everything intact.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

Personally I just do a cache clear using the recovery menu rather than a full factory reset. Clears out the cobwebs while keeping everything intact.

I do a cache clear for an update like 5.0 to 5.1, but for something like from KitKat to Lollipop I do the full factory reset.

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

In the end I setup from scratch as the update arrived before i switched back to the 2nd gen.

HoLfElDeR

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

So after updating to 5.1 should i do a factory reset or not, what do you do reset or not?

C0deM0nkey

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

So after updating to 5.1 should i do a factory reset or not, what do you do reset or not?

Normally I wouldn't bother - in this case I was specifically interested in enabling the Lollipop built in factory reset protection that links the device to your Google account. As it happened I'd had to reset my X to send it away for warranty repair and the update came through before I'd had a chance to move my stuff back to it. So in this instance I setup the phone without signing in, updated and then factory reset before setting up again from scratch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power