should I wait for the moto x 2015 or buy the 2014 now?

Asaf Be

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
My old phone (nexus 4) is starting to get, well, old and has its old age issues.
I won't budge from pure android (after a horrible Samsung experience) so I'm left with moto x .
I understand that the new moto x is due in Sep-Oct so I was wondering if I should stick to my guns and wait it out.

Pros:
- I won't have to wait 4 months
- It's only 300$!

cons:
- Terrible camera (was it fixed in the camera update?)
- Battery life (and not removable too!)
- No sd-card

Your opinions are more than welcomed :)
Thanks
A.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When you're ready to buy, pick phones that are available. The next Moto X has not yet been announced.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
There's also no guaranty the no camera so be much better. Motorola/Lenovo seem to focus more on usability over high end specs.

I'm going with Milky Way via
the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's also no guaranty the no camera so be much better. Motorola/Lenovo seem to focus more on usability over high end specs.

I'm going with Milky Way via
the Android Central App

While there's no guarantee that it will be much better, CMO Adrienne Hayes is making it a talking point.

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine a few weeks ago to replace a 2nd hand Nexus 6 that I bought on Craigslist that got blacklisted. So I bought it out of necessity on Swappa for $330 brand new in box, with bamboo back. Good purchase. I really enjoy the phone. Snappy and does whatever I ask it to do. It's solid purchase. But if you are looking for something to take you through the next 2 years or something like that I would wait and at least see what the new one has going for it if you have settled on Moto X. If you are a vanilla android fan you will be right at home with this phone. Plus Moto Display and the other Moto features are actually useful and nice.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I would just wait until the new phone comes out. You never HAVE to buy a phone immediately unless your current phone is broken. Your phone may be a little old, but it's still functional enough. If you're patient, you'll see what Moto has to offer in the "new" Moto X. And if, for some reason, you don't like it or don't want to pay full price for it, the 2014 model will be even less expensive than it is now. Once the 2014 model is no longer the "flagship" it will drop in price.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I would just wait until the new phone comes out. You never HAVE to buy a phone immediately unless your current phone is broken. Your phone may be a little old, but it's still functional enough. If you're patient, you'll see what Moto has to offer in the "new" Moto X. And if, for some reason, you don't like it or don't want to pay full price for it, the 2014 model will be even less expensive than it is now. Once the 2014 model is no longer the "flagship" it will drop in price.

That's a very good point

Posted via the Android Central App

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Personally.... if it's about the money, then get a Moto X (2014).... if it's not, then wait for the next big thing. I'm waiting for the next big thing... right now it's either the Moto X (2015) or the Nexus 2015. The current Pure Edition was not updated very quickly, and had numerous issues with the last Soak Test, but did finally deliver on the 5.1 update last week... this considering that they STARTED the Soak Test in the beginning of APRIL!!!

I'm not too happy with that. :(

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree with fatboy. The new Moto x won't be as cheap as the 2014 is now. So you'll save at least $200 going with the 2014. If that doesn't matter then you could also grab a 2014 then sell it on swappa when the new 2015 comes out.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Another point to consider: if you're on T-Mobile, the Moto X 2014 is not fully future proof with its network because it doesn't support LTE band 12, T-Mobile's low-frequency spectrum that is slowly but surely rolling out nationwide. It will allow for better signal propagation, so you'd get better reception indoors. If this matters to you, you might want to see if the Moto X 2015 supports it.

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait the phone is OK not great so the wait is well worth the improvements that might come.

The pressure is on for improvements with the Samsung 6, Edge and new iPhone coming in a few months.

Look at the simple difference from Moto gen 1 to gen II!

Sold the Moto X due to the on going issues when upgrade phone just didnt function at fast and smooth.

Why would someone buy a phone for $330 on Swappa when you can get it new and your won design from Moto maker with your own design $299 with a Moto warranty?

Also history has a way of repeating itself MotoX gen 1 and 2 had major discounts with in the 1st 30 days of roll out!!

Asaf Be

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I think they are already in the clearance sales right now - which also leads me to think that the 2015 might come sooner than later. I also find it hard to believe that it'll go down below $300..
My guess is that the new moto x will be around $500, but will come with 32GB so the difference will be $150.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think they are already in the clearance sales right now - which also leads me to think that the 2015 might come sooner than later. I also find it hard to believe that it'll go down below $300..
My guess is that the new moto x will be around $500, but will come with 32GB so the difference will be $150.

August/September for the third gen.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Better wait.
Or perhaps, buy it on sale and use it for a few months and then sell for 100$ less and get the new one - that's what I had on my mind when I bought mine just a few weeks ago (280$ at BB), when upgraded from 2013 model :)

via AC App on
VZW Moto X 2014/DE 2013, N7

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo will deliver 2 things for sure (based on their own production line) -
Better Camera and bigger battery.
Motorola - Lenovo heard the complaints very well and will make sure to fix the sales numbers this year. Lenovo definitely has much bigger budget to cover these issues and keep the price at the same level.

via AC App on

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo will deliver 2 things for sure (based on their own production line) -
Better Camera and bigger battery.
Motorola - Lenovo heard the complaints very well and will make sure to fix the sales numbers this year. Lenovo definitely has much bigger budget to cover these issues and keep the price at the same level.

via AC App on

I'm really hoping for a better camera. It may be a false hope but it's the only thing I find lacking especially after playing with a 6+ and I even have many good photos I like from my X. All I want is a fairly stock experience with a good camera with some manual control. Is it really too much?

But I do love both generation Xs and really the daily use and moto features keep me invested more than the camera.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Your cons could apply to the Nexus 4 as well. I came from an N4 myself (still have it!) and while I loved that phone the Moto X is much better. No, the camera is not great, but it's as good or better than the N4 camera. If you want/need a great phone now, go ahead and pick one up.

If camera quality is really a big deal for you, though, I'd wait and see what happens with the Moto X 3rd gen. Moto has a long history of promising great camera upgrades but failing to deliver anything above average. I'm taking these new promises to "bring it" with a huge grain of salt as a result. We'll see once the hardware has been released. If the new phone is no better, maybe the next Nexus will work for you, or you'll be able to pick up a used Moto X for cheap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2