Moto X vs Droid Turbo

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the third week with the X 2014 (moved from 2013 model). I love the quality build feel and the looks, the most powerful antenna I tested on Verizon in poor signal areas (compared it with all flagship VZW phones) - staying connected to 4g or 3g for longer, reconnecting faster and maintaining stronger signal , overall performance is one of the best I 've seen (though I'm running KK), BUUUUT battery started acting weird on me - first week was surprisingly Good (4-5 SOT on 16hrs of usage easy) and all of a sudden in the last few days, I get only 2.5-3hrs SOT and idling went from 1-1.5% / h to almost 3%/h (with the same setup - BT On w peeble connected, same apps). No clue b what happened - must be a lemon battery or something (burned after few charging cycles). However, even with the optimal battery performance it's just not enough to get you through a day if you are a heavy user and don't have a Turbo charger handy. Using the camera few extra times and say have a few Hangouts chats (no camera, just voice) and w 2hrs SOT by 7pm (11 hrs of use) you are down to 5%. That's pretty much unacceptable comparing to what you get from your phone.
Camera is also worse and screen much more susceptible to cracks , because they made it edge to edge on top of the frame , so (unlike the X 2013 or Turbo) if it falls on the side or corner it will hit the glass directly. So, to be comfortable carrying it around you would need a case, which takes away the good feel in hand (you mentioned).
Also , 805 cpu performs better in gaming than 801.
All I know is that the X has a slightly better speaker, reception and feel in hand than the Droid Turbo and if you are a fan of on-screen buttons would be another plus. Other than that it fails in every other category.

BTW, as the battery may be a lemon in some cases (like mine), I gotta add that the radio antenna ( I praised above) was horrible on the second device I had for 2 days - I returned the first one because of the announced sale and also didn't like the size coming from 4. 7in, so (knowing how good the reception on the first one was) I exchanged it for the one I'm using now and they are equally strong. Flaws could be found anywhere on devices. Just like I heard about the issues on Turbo's volume rockers, capacitive buttons , etc. You just never know what you gonna get, especially from Android OEMs

via AC App on
VZW Moto X 2014/DE 2013, N7

Last edited:

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The look and feel would be the only reason.

Agreed. I have a friend with the Turbo and she loves it. The slow update to Lollipop didn't matter to her at all. The camera on both is typical Motorola (i.e., not good), but Moto is promising camera improvements in the new model (fingers crossed). If it were me, I would wait until the new Moto X comes out before thinking about making a switch.