Can I get some help with a contact management issue?

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Contact Management Issue - HELP

Hi there,

I have tried to figure this out myself, search for an answer here, and I've just come up empty handed. I have a Moto X 2014 that I really like. Great phone. Coming from Blackberry, and I use the same phone for my small business as I do in my personal life. My issue is this: I have a work colleague send me a text, call, etc. I want to save the contact information, but my moto x wants to put it in as "google contact", which is my personal email. Is there any way, that I can avoid this? For instance, I have my work email set up in the phone as a corporate account and would like to attach this contact to that, but it won't let me.

Is this just the way it is? One thing I loved about my blackberry was the freedom to add calendar events and contacts and associate them however I wanted. I assume that I'm probably missing something here, and sure could use some help. Thank you in advance.

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Contact Management Issue - HELP

I originally set my work email up through TypeMail, I find it to be a superior app for managing all my email accounts. But I also set up a corporate account with the stock app, hoping I could select it for storing contacts, and possibly my calendars. The work email is set up as a pop account. Thanks.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

The Moto X runs an only slightly modified version of Android. It's really pretty close to vanilla Android like on Nexus devices and on those you must choose a Google account to save contacts. This is actually a Good Thing as saving to Google gives you immediate online contacts backup and makes restoring or transferring contacts to a new device very easy. And you never have to worry about losing your contacts.

As a kind of workaround, create a contact group 'Work' or whatever and save your business contacts to that group. In the Contacts edit window, scroll down to 'Group name' tap the drop-down arrow and select.

The stock Google calendar is good, but if it doesn't meet your needs there's more calendars to choose from in the Play store.

I cannot endorse the use of Type Mail for security reasons and recommend uninstalling it. For why read this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4541912

Also, if possible I strongly recommend changing the business POP3 account to IMAP service.

As a replacement, I think you should consider installing AquaMail. Unbeatable simple, intuitive UI. Highly configurable with lotsa options. And I mean lotsa of options. Has some unique features like the Smart Folder, which is basically a unified inbox but configurable so that it becomes much more. Very fast and stable. Excellent support via built-in help, a user forum monitored by the developer or by email. Just a terrific piece of software, one of the very best apps of any kind available for Android.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=org.kman.AquaMail&token=4Okyop2-

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

Woah.

Did not know that about TypeMail, thank you so much. Uninstalled.

And thank you for answering my questions as well, at least I know that I'm not missing something. Just as a further question, what is the advantage of using IMAP over POP?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

POP3 does not sync folders across your device(s) and computer(s),or do push notifications or keep all email on the server. With POP3 you download email to your computer or device one time and that's your working copy. Outgoing email is saved on your device (if set to do so) but not on the server. If, for example, you send an email from your computer and then later would like to see it on your phone, it's not available.

IMAP is far more capable.

It can send 'push' notifications so you know immediately when email arrives. Just tap on the notification to see the email.

It can sync across devices so email, going in or out, is available on all your devices. If, like in the sent email example above, you send an email from your computer, it is available in the sent folder on your phone.

IMAP can do filtering, sorting, etc at the server. Using the online webmail interface, you can create folders - Business, Keepers, Misc, Family - whatever - and setup filters to auto-sort email and place it in appropriate folders. And the email syncs to all your devices. All pre-sorted. If you create a new folder, it automatically appears on all your devices.

IMAP keeps all email on the server. So if you get a new phone just add the email account and all your email is available again.

There's more, I'm not gonna try to write an article. You can do some simple Googling and find plenty of information. Suffice it to say that if you can IMAP is the way to go.

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the tips.

I think I will just stick with the stock email app on the phone, seems to do everything I need.

Here is my issue with the personal gmail keeping my contacts.

About a month ago, I received a professional email from somebody I work with to my personal gmail account. I had never given out that address, and I don't know how they got it. I don't have them as a contact in my phone and I got a little freaked out. So the question is, if I keep a subgroup of work contacts in my gmail account, will they be able to see my personal email addressw? What about my gmail profile pic? I just want to keep those two aspects of my life separate, just as they should be.

Is there a contact app that will allow me to do this, or with the Moto X, is the option linking it to my account, or not?

Thanks so much.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

About a month ago, I received a professional email from somebody I work with to my personal gmail account. I had never given out that address, and I don't know how they got it. I don't have them as a contact in my phone and I got a little freaked out.
I have no idea how they got your Gmail address either, but somewhere along the line you sent them a reply or something with that address. No way they can get into your Gmail or contacts without the password. You had to have given him the address somehow.

So the question is, if I keep a subgroup of work contacts in my gmail account, will they be able to see my personal email address?
No. No way. You would have to send a email from your Gmail account for them to see your personal Gmail address. All you are doing by creating a Business group in your Gmail contacts is using the Gmail contacts as an address book.

What about my gmail profile pic?
I dunno exactly, I've never tried to look at anyone's Gmail profile. I think you can set whether or not your profile is publicly view able in Google Dashboard. If you keep it private they would need your password.

https://www.google.com/dashboard/

https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacy

I just want to keep those two aspects of my life separate, just as they should be.
Should be no problem.

Is there a contact app that will allow me to do this, or with the Moto X, is the option linking it to my account, or not?
??? Do what, exactly? I'm not clear about the question.

Last edited:

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

??? Do what, exactly? I'm not clear about the question.

To keep my work and personal life separate. But according to what you said, that shouldn't be an issue anyway. I thank you kindly for your assistance, bit of an android novice here, so your help is very much appreciated. Cheers.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

I've been online since 1986. I've used various Google services - a Google account including Gmail and contacts, Google Voice phone service, Drive, Keep, etc etc for both personal and business use for years. I've had no trouble keeping things private and separate.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any problems or questions you think I can help you with. Lotsa luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech