Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Moto X Style Now I have to wait!

I hate this time gap between launch and the device actually getting into customer hands. It's because we only find out about problems with battery life, hardware defects, software issues like stutter etc once a few months go by and the honeymoon phase is over. Which basically means if this phone comes out in Aug-Sept, it'll be around Dec before we start painting a good overall picture.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

But it still ranked 3rd place on dpreview with an 83. The S6 is currently in 1st place but only scored 3 more points at 86 which leads me to believe OIS while great, is probably overhyped. I'm unwilling to bother considering OIS a deal maker or breaker.
OIS is never over hyped. Poor implementation of it can be, but the tech is invaluable in many cases.

DXO is a great resource, but their testing methods can sometimes be questionable.

The new moto x camera looks like it will significantly better than last year's, and for many this will be enough. But I've said I'd never get another phone without OIS, so I'll probably pass on the new one.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

For a sealed battery with a 5.7 screen it falls a little short. Note 5 is rumored to have a 4000. If they had put the 3600 in there I don't think anyone would have had a problem. It just seems like Moto made some small sacrifices to keep the price down somewhat.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Now I have to wait!

I do hate the gap as well. I am actually very interested in this phone. I have never tried a stock android phone before.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

For a sealed battery with a 5.7 screen it falls a little short. Note 5 is rumored to have a 4000. If they had put the 3600 in there I don't think anyone would have had a problem. It just seems like Moto made some small sacrifices to keep the price down somewhat.

Note 4 is 3220 and has a 5.7" display and gets great SOT.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Now I have to wait!

I hate this time gap between launch and the device actually getting into customer hands. It's because we only find out about problems with battery life, hardware defects, software issues like stutter etc once a few months go by and the honeymoon phase is over. Which basically means if this phone comes out in Aug-Sept, it'll be around Dec before we start painting a good overall picture.

To be fair it's still a year release from last year. I much prefer they tell us about the device now than to just have an announcement on the Moto G and let potential customers buy the OPO2 or maybe even the Note 5 depending on when they're ready to drop that one.

It's the not knowing that bothers me and at least now I know and I can make a more informed decision on which to buy. Also....you'll have a return period so test all that stuff out yourself and return it if it doesn't live up to your hype.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

When I first held the 2014 X, it felt 'too big,' but I eventually came around to like the new size. I expect that could happen one more time with the 2015 X. However, I was really hoping for a fingerprint scanner this time around. The scanner on my iPad offers security & extra functions -- I wanted that on my X.

If Motorola does the Christmas discounts again this year, I may upgrade. The phone itself doesn't draw me in to purchase it even at the affordable full retail price. :(

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Very excited about: Pure edition, Price, screen size, overall size of the phone (it is smaller in every dimension except thickness than an iPhone 6 plus which I consider a pretty manageable phone - for a phablet)

Seems promising: Camera - I'll be eagerly awaiting reviews on this. I'm not so worried about OIS. Sure it can help but even the iPhone 6 (regular version) doesn't have OIS and no one complains about that camera. Conversely my Nexus 5 has OIS and it certainly wasn't a magic fix.

Concerned: Battery size. 5.7inches, QHD, stock Android (not as good with battery life) and a 3000mAh battery seems concerning. Sure it is much better than 2300mAh but this phone is going to need the power. I'm not a super heavy user but if I'm going to have a phablet I expect good to great battery life from it otherwise it might as well be a smaller phone if I can't use it that often. And no, super duper turbo charging does not excuse poor battery life.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

This took so long to click I'm amazed, but I wonder why they didn't include wireless charging? I LOVE that for using with my car dock....

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I was hoping to see USB-c and Wireless Charging. Would rather have that than SD card.

Still hoping to see an unlockable bootloader for the Pure edition on Verizon. That would be enough to persuade me to switch from my VZW Nexus 6 - I miss the Moto enhancements - twist for camera; reading my texts in the car, wave my hand over the phone to see status.

Sounds like camera will be better, if not quite as good as LG4/Galaxy s6.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

I really was looking forward to a new Moto X, having had bothe the first two, but I think ill be moving on to a different brand after this.

Dealbreaker:
Size - The 2014 X is already at the upper edge of my one handed useability, so this will easily be too big.

Crushing blow:
No AMOLED - Sounds like a battery killer with active notifications, which is one of my favorite features on the phone.

Non dealbreakers, but letdowns:
No OIS
No fingerprint scanner

The big questions for me looks like, what Android OEM will keep making a phone that's easy to handle and offers top end performance?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Hits:
  • Motorola "signature" apps (Active Display, Assist, Touchless Control) still there
  • big battery*
  • better camera*
  • front-facing speakers
  • SD card support
  • *no* Snapdragon 810!

Misses:
  • WAY TOO BIG*
  • no AMOLED*

* Remains to be seen:
  • real-world battery life
  • real-world camera performance
  • real-world usage and handling
  • TFT LCD display appearance/performance

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

The specs look nice to me, but the size seems too huge. I'm going to wait for the LG Nexus.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

jasonvvong

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Everything looks good except the fact that it doesn't have OIS. The question becomes, with my shaky hands, can I take clear, non-blurry photos with this phone? If so, I'll probably buy it. If not, I'll take the OnePlus Two.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I will base my decision to buy the Pure Edition based on which way everyone decides to pronounce PE. If it's 'pee' no. If it's 'peh' then yes. That way people will ask, " hey is that the new Moto X peh?"

All other insignificant points about this phone pale in comparison.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
How will the battery life with the smaller battery be compared to the larger battery life on the droid turbo?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited: